Old 24 October 2006, 04:27   #21

Town: Anchorage
Boat name: Trojan
Make: Zodiac Hurricane 590
Length: 5m +
Engine: Twin Yamaha 70's
Wow!!

All this because I mentioned a little hunting trip? Sorry, I know to avoid this in the future. But to add fuel to the fire for a little fun, what point does a boat have if it is not to harvest fish, possibly find food, and go to remote places? I realize we all have fun boating, but burining a finite natural recource for pure pleasure, this sounds about as bad as killing an endangered whale.

Jimmy

P.S. Please let it be known that I tend to be a smartass yank quite often, so take me with a litte humor.
Old 24 October 2006, 07:10   #22

Town: Over here
Boat name: S.S. Nobstick
Make: Three Wise Monkeys
Length: 3m +
Engine: 44lbs of thrust....
Quote:
Originally Posted by prairie tuber View Post
Whatever...

I'm not the one posting on rib.net that someone whose nutritional choices do not meet your approval should get his throat slashed because of it. Or was it my choice of implement used to harvest food that you disapproved of so severely that you wish me dead?
True, but you were the one who opened the debate by bragging about killing bears for sport. Don’t think people are so naïve as to believe it’s for the nutritional value of Bear meat, or is that how you justify your killing.

Quote:
You seem to think that you can say whatever simply because we will probably never meet in person.
Why would I give a damn whether we meet up or not? I’d certainly say it to your face.

Quote:
What would happen if your students choice of food, clothing, music did not conincide with your preferences - would you also tell them that they should get their throats torn out?

Words mean things whether they are spoken in person or posted on the internet.
So now you associate a persons choice of music to be on the same level as killing for fun.

Bowhunting is, as the scientific evidence overwhelming demonstrates (Benke (1989) and many others studies), an extremely cruel form of hunting. "For humane advocates (and many hunters), bowhunting is set apart from other forms of sport hunting chiefly by its appalling high wounding rate - greater than 50%. In other words, it has been conclusively documented that for every animal hit by a broadhead arrow and retrieved by a hunter, at least one is hit and not retrieved, usually to die after prolonged agony from septic infection, peritonitis, blood loss, or other complications. The broadhead arrow is intended to kill primarily by circulatory haemorrhage. It is extremely difficult to shoot an arrow into a vital organ in a large ungulate such as a deer, and thus, a 'clean kill' is nearly impossible in bowhunting."
Old 24 October 2006, 07:15   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy_Beam View Post
.... but burining a finite natural recource for pure pleasure, this sounds about as bad as killing an endangered whale.
True..Most of us exhibit some form of hypocrisy or another.. but perhaps, when we’ve burned ourselves out as a race, any other of the Earth’s creatures that we haven’t slaughtered in the name of fun, food or “scientific research” will breathe a collective sigh of relief…..

Jimmy
Quote:
P.S. Please let it be known that I tend to be a smartass yank quite often, so take me with a litte humor.
…no one like a smartass….. especially a “Yank”….and “Humour” has a “u” in it….
Old 24 October 2006, 07:28   #24

Town: Newry
Boat name: Nothing Yet.
Length: no boat
Ranting and Debating site.

try www.grumpieroldmen.co.uk

you may have more fun there.
Old 24 October 2006, 07:39   #25

Yes..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jono View Post
True..Most of us exhibit some form of hypocrisy or another.. but perhaps, when we’ve burned ourselves out as a race, any other of the Earth’s creatures that we haven’t slaughtered in the name of fun, food or “scientific research” will breathe a collective sigh of relief…..

…no one like a smartass….. especially a “Yank”….and “Humour” has a “u” in it….
Yes, hypocrisy runs rampant. Without it, would life be any fun.

Also, the other earth creatures wont sigh until the acid rain stops, the spent fossil fuels quit choking them, the raw hydrocarbons in the ocean quit killing their baby's, and their food sources quit poisioning them, until then we all shall feel the responsibility of the slow death of the mother that so kindly rears us.

HUMOR, can be spelled both ways, look it up.. However, Little does have an L in it to correct myself.

Jimmy

"Eat Moose, 10,000 wolves can't be wrong"
Old 24 October 2006, 07:49   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by spynappels View Post
try www.grumpieroldmen.co.uk

you may have more fun there.
Top find !.. http://www.grumpieroldmen.co.uk/prod...for=&pID=ra003

Sorry...JW.. but it made me smile.
Old 24 October 2006, 11:02   #27

Town: British Columbia
Make: Gemini
Length: 4m +
Engine: 40hp 2 str
Quote:
True, but you were the one who opened the debate by bragging about killing bears for sport. Don’t think people are so naïve as to believe it’s for the nutritional value of Bear meat, or is that how you justify your killing.

Bragging? Expressing that one engages in a particular interest is not bragging. Yes their is a recreational aspect to bowhunting. Being in the the woods observing large wildlife at very close ranges (20 yards and less) is exciting, and contributes to the preservation of our wildgame. The reason why North America has such an abundance of wild animals is because of legalized hunting. Without regulated hunting much of the large wildlife here would have been extirpated years ago as has happened in most of Europe where the antihunting culture is chic.l

Quote:
Why would I give a damn whether we meet up or not? I’d certainly say it to your face.
I doubt very much you would. But this much I would tell to your face - you are a sociopath - pure and simple. Nonetheless, I do not wish you be killed violently as you do me. I wish you well and that you get help because you are a very sick person.

Quote:
So now you associate a persons choice of music to be on the same level as killing for fun.
Performing (I sing) and or listening to music is a recreational pursuit I enjoy. As is Bowhunting. The killing involved in bowhunting is a very small (yet important) of the whole process of bowhunting successfully. The fact that you post the quote below and don't see the BS in it shows your vast knowledge and experience about big game hunting (shooting bunnies with a rifle was it?)

Quote:
Bowhunting is, as the scientific evidence overwhelming demonstrates (Benke (1989) and many others studies), an extremely cruel form of hunting. "For humane advocates (and many hunters), bowhunting is set apart from other forms of sport hunting chiefly by its appalling high wounding rate - greater than 50%. In other words, it has been conclusively documented that for every animal hit by a broadhead arrow and retrieved by a hunter, at least one is hit and not retrieved, usually to die after prolonged agony from septic infection, peritonitis, blood loss, or other complications. The broadhead arrow is intended to kill primarily by circulatory haemorrhage. It is extremely difficult to shoot an arrow into a vital organ in a large ungulate such as a deer, and thus, a 'clean kill' is nearly impossible in bowhunting."
You don't reference the above quote, but from the rhetoric, it is cut and pasted from some animal rights website since it is wildly inaccurate. The most intensive rigorous scientific study on bowhunting wounding rates (Kruger, 1995) show that the rate of unrecovered deer from bowhunting to be at most 13%. Of that 13% the majority would most likely fully recover (which would not be the case with gun hunting) because of the razor sharp cut that a broadhead makes. In Manitoba, more deer are killed and wounded by vehicular colisions than by hunting (bow and gun combined). Nonetheless hunting helps reduce the number of vehicle wildlife accidents significantly. The Bowhunters Wildlife Management Association of New Hampshire expresses the facts well when they state;

* Bowhunting is a low profile method of managing deer herd numbers.
The average shot is less than 20 yards or 60 feet.

* A safe and effective way to hunt in heavily populated area's close to houses, farms and roads.

* Bows and bowhunters are quiet and unobtrusive; not disturbing inhabitants of the area.

* Bows in use today are extremely effective and will shoot a razor sharp broadhead tipped arrow completely through a deer causing massive and immediate hemorrhaging. The resulting blood loss causes dulling of thesenses and death is painless and swift.

* If a deer is wounded it immediately secrets hormones (endorphins) from the brain which dull pain and promote rapid healing. These same endorphins allow an injured deer to recover quickly from the clean cutting wound of a broadhead.

* A scientific study "Aspects of wounding of White Tailed Deer by Bowhunters" written by Wendy J. Krueger in 1995 revealed that less than 13% of bow shot deer are not recovered (many of these deer survive their wounds).

* Bowhunting is a popular and challenging method of hunting with the emphasis on hunting. Bowhunting is recognized by the F&W departments throughout the United States as a sound game management tool.

http://files.dnr.state.mn.us/outdoor...CampRipley.pdf

http://www.europeanbowhunting.org/denmark.htm

http://residents.bowhunting.net/BWMANH/

http://www.swmnga.org/faq.htm
Old 24 October 2006, 12:39   #28

Jeebus!!!

Calm down oh mighty hunter, by the time they make it across the pond and this far north/northwest they'll have forgotten about killing us, and they'll be happy to see a fellow ribber waiting to take em for a ride.. Live life and smile, have a drink for your enemies, have one for your friends, and have one for me, for we are all assholes, but we all have a similar interest: Either finding a cove to sleep it off, or finding a sober driver.

Jimmy
Old 24 October 2006, 13:36   #29

Town: Christiansted.V.I.
Boat name: Froggy
Make: Avon SeaRider
Engine: Johnson 50
Hunting ---Island Style

Down here we take it easy on the wildlife and hunt each other with machetes on Saturday night. The rum deadens the pain!
Old 24 October 2006, 13:43   #30

Town: Punta gorda Fl.
Boat name: War Machine
Make: Falcon U.S.A.
Length: 9m +
Engine: twin 250 Yamaha
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
The mind boggles as to what sort of lady goes moose hunting......
You might be suprised....
Old 24 October 2006, 13:55   #31

Quote:
To be honest though I wouldn't have the same reservations about killing certain people in the right situation!!!

Cod, does this include the guy who did not include a trailer with your boat purchase?

Obviously Canadian women are different to British ones - most of the females I know wouldn't do anything that would mess up their hair or their nails!!! Maybe that's a good thing - especially considering the bitches I know....
You know Cod, to us "YANKS" those British lasses are quite sexy, cute accent, usually well mannered... if they are bitches they probably don't get out on the water enough, my friend Carol (Brit expat) is splendid company, as nice a lady as you'll meet. She does love the water and the boat though!
Old 24 October 2006, 14:05   #32

Quote:
I think the excuse of "it's socially acceptable here" is poor. Stoning and bride burning are social acceptable in some parts of the world, but that doesn't make that right, does it?

Of course I'm baiting you....so what criteria do you use to determine whether it's acceptable to hunt a species? Do you support hunting for "sport" ?

..and to be fair.. I think it a “Prairie Tuber” that started the debate again….
In the United States fees collected on licensing from fishing and hunting go in large part towards supporting animal and fish populations, as well as preservation of environment, (building artificial reefs, preserving land) for the same, when I was growing up in Ohio I never saw a single deer until I was fourteen years old, now I have four or five of them in my back yard almost every night. Wild turkeys are now frequently seen in surburbia around here, this is in large part due to hunters and fisherman, who support the species...
Old 24 October 2006, 14:20   #33

Quote:
All this because I mentioned a little hunting trip? Sorry, I know to avoid this in the future. But to add fuel to the fire for a little fun, what point does a boat have if it is not to harvest fish, possibly find food, and go to remote places? I realize we all have fun boating, but burining a finite natural recource for pure pleasure, this sounds about as bad as killing an endangered whale.

Jimmy

You don't need to apologize for any hunting trip Jimmy, especially as you are sitting at your computer in the U.S.A. It's O.K. to hunt in our "neck of the woods". I hunt hardly at all anymore, but I have spent and will in the future spend many a hour in the woods with a gun, and will continue to do so, a fine activity if ever there was one... many times I never fired a shot, sometimes I did, if they haven't done it they won't understand...
Old 24 October 2006, 14:24   #34

Town: British Columbia
Make: Gemini
Engine: 40hp 2 str
Quote:
The mind boggles as to what sort of lady goes moose hunting......

Check them out!

http://www.womenhunters.com/meet-the-ladies.html

http://www.womenbowhunters.us/
Old 24 October 2006, 16:33   #35

(Long and rambling reply cut)
Ah bollix.... life's too short... not as short as the Bear that's about to get the good news from a broadhead, obviously.... but too short to argue when there is no possibility of either of changing our standpoints.... I think, for the sake of other board uses..we must agree to disagree….
Old 24 October 2006, 17:39   #36
exspyrd trayd membir

Town: inn wiliks hed
Make: Redbay 6.5
Length: 6m +
Engine: Twin Etec 90hp
Quote:
..we must agree to disagree….
fink yorrsellf lukky. dat prairy toober iz wan ov de lasst sirviviin membirs ov de pottawatamie trybe ov naytive injuns an itt aynt lonng agow dat hee woz killin yew pail faicis wiv iz boe an arrer nevver mynd de bares

myynd yew hee wud av bin waystin iz tyme tryin too scallp yew

gArf
Old 24 October 2006, 17:53   #37

Town: San Carlos, Mexico
Boat name: INDE
Make: LOMAC 730
Length: 7m +
Engine: 200 Merc.
MMSI: Please press 1
Send a message via Skype™ to Limey Linda
Well done garfish. That was one of your best.
Old 24 October 2006, 18:10   #38

Town: San Carlos, Mexico
Boat name: INDE
Make: LOMAC 730
Engine: 200 Merc.
MMSI: Please press 1
Send a message via Skype™ to Limey Linda
Jono, I think you "screwed the pooch" on this one. There is a need to understand the subject you are being critical about before you pass an opinion. I am a hunter and along with millions of others probably contribute 10 times as much to wildlife conservation than you do ( for your major sport) to the RNLI etc. through hunting/fishing licenses, permits etc. As it happens: I also object to bow hunting as it is not an efficient or humane method of hunting game. ( sorry PT, you need to get be realistic). A 300 WM, or 375 H&H does a better job on large dangerous game and it is your responsibility to do the best job you can.
Just my humble opinion. Thanks for the reminder; I will go dig a nice plump pheasant out of the freezer. Eat what you shoot!!!!
Old 24 October 2006, 18:21   #39

Town: Newfoundland
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limey Linda View Post
Eat what you shoot!!!!
Or what you hit with the motah....... http://www.amazon.co.uk/Original-Roa.../dp/0898152003
Old 24 October 2006, 18:23   #40
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Or what you hit with the motah....... http://www.amazon.co.uk/Original-Roa.../dp/0898152003
Sprinter van bumpers are just the right height to break a pheasant's neck without damaging the rest of the bird.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote