Old 23 October 2006, 13:47   #1

Town: British Columbia
Make: Gemini
Length: 4m +
Engine: 40hp 2 str
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathalla View Post
Jimmy, you just have to deal with being the one to lead all other Alaskans out of the darkness regarding ribs, someone has to do it! I do think one of those nice cabin ribs such as a Protector would be great for your neck of the woods... head to the Aleutians for a hunt, bring it back on the aft deck... heck, it would be great for my neck of the woods!

psssst don't mention 'hunting' - some of the locals go completely balistic (i.e. send death wishes) at the thought that we can eat wild meat while they don't have those same opportunities.
Old 23 October 2006, 14:11   #2

Town: Newfoundland
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by prairie tuber View Post
psssst don't mention 'hunting' - some of the locals go completely balistic (i.e. send death wishes) at the thought that we can eat wild meat while they don't have those same opportunities.
The Crazy Canadian (my wife) went moose hunting the other weekend but regrettably with no luck. We're hopeful that her uncles will have more success soon so we can have our quarter in the freezer!

Some of us adapt to our surroundings............
Old 23 October 2006, 14:49   #3

From what I hear of 'the Rock', you just need to go for a drive on the highway - you'll get your moose! (the moose scene in the movie "The Shipping News" was dark comedy at its finest).
Old 23 October 2006, 14:51   #4

Town: Reading
Make: None
Length: under 3m
We drove around the Avalon for two weeks but had to go to Salmonier Nature Park to see a moose!
Louise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2006, 15:06   #5

Gotta get a moose 'by!

Until this year I had never seen a moose in the wild so to speak. In fact the buggers seemed to take a delight in avoiding me. I'd drive on roads where everyone would warn me to 'you'll definately need to be careful of the moose' and not see hide nor hair of one. Then, one evening on the deck of a friends new place on a housing estate (thats subdivision to Canadians) up near the airport in St. John's, I glanced up and THERE WAS THE BIGGEST BLOODY MOOSE you've ever seen staring placidly back at me. By the time I could open my mouth to say 'Mo.........' he'd ambled back off into the woods. Later in the summer we actually came across one by the side of the Trans Canada Highway. Picture attached. (You'll see why hitting one at speed in a car is usually fatal.)

Anyway, Moose sightings in urban St. John's are fairly frequent. Local radio will frequently broadcast moose warnings as in 'A moose was spotted by the Foxtrap access road 10 minutes ago.' However I understand that it's not the done thing to shoot one by the road, one must hike several kms through the wood first. And then carry the bloody thing out in chunks. Thats why the other half went moose hunting and I stayed home!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	moose (Small).JPG
Views:	587
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	22763  
Old 23 October 2006, 15:11   #6

Once you haul frame pack with a moose quarter on your back for a mile and a half - you'll be fully Canadianized

Boning the meat on site will save much grief in the process of hauling the meat out (it won't eliminate the grief - just save some)
Old 23 October 2006, 15:42   #7

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
The mind boggles as to what sort of lady goes moose hunting......
Old 23 October 2006, 15:53   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
The mind boggles as to what sort of lady goes moose hunting......

My wife Codders. Do you have a problem with that?
Old 23 October 2006, 16:02   #9

Town: Lee on the Solent
Boat name: Saintlee
Make: Leeway
Length: 6m +
Engine: Evinrude DI 115
I've never been able to argue with the NRA and the gun lobby since seeing Deborah Shelton (amongst others) in some of their publicity stuff. WOW, Codders even you would want her handling your guns.
Old 23 October 2006, 16:05   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
My wife Codders. Do you have a problem with that?
No but I bet the Moose does!!!
Old 23 October 2006, 16:18   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
No but I bet the Moose does!!!
I suspect the Moose isn't capable of rationalising that thought.......

I'm surprised at you Codders. I didn't have you down for an opponent of hunting given you rabid dislike of political correctness, the nanny state etc etc. Hunting in Canada is a very different proposition from hunting in the UK and enjoys a very different place in culture and society. I have learned to be open minded about things that I had not encountered in the UK. (There not being a big moose hunting thing going on in Essex.) I encourage you to think beyond your own predjudaces when considering the wider world.

Anyway, this has nothing to do with the NRA, guns or macho culture. Truth to tell, the missus enjoys the time in the woods, being in the outdoors etc and enjoys eating moose once killed/butchered/cooked but is equally happy that on this occasion they were unsuccesful. At least she's not so hypocritical to decry the slaughter of wild animals for food on an internet forum and then tuck into a juicy steak that evening.

In conclusion the answer to your question, 'What kind of lady goes moose hunting' is Laura, my wife. The same lady that goes ribbing and does the other million and one things that makes her special. You'd be fortunate beyond belief to find a woman half as good yourself Codders.
Old 23 October 2006, 16:32   #12

i agree that i am not politically correct - hunting for a purpose is fair enough I suppose - although if it was down to me I could never bring myself to kill an animal unless it was attacking me. I don't even like killing fish. To be honest though I wouldn't have the same reservations about killing certain people in the right situation!!!

Obviously Canadian women are different to British ones - most of the females I know wouldn't do anything that would mess up their hair or their nails!!! Maybe that's a good thing - especially considering the bitches I know....
Old 23 October 2006, 16:36   #13

I detect a tinge of bitterness in that last phrase.

Oh and Alan, sounds like you made and extremely good choice in marrying Laura - she sounds like a wonderful lady.
Old 23 October 2006, 16:58   #14

Town: Over here
Boat name: S.S. Nobstick
Make: Three Wise Monkeys
Length: 3m +
Engine: 44lbs of thrust....
Quote:
.....I encourage you to think beyond your own predjudaces when considering the wider world.
Why do you you assume that it is "Predjudice" that creates an anti "hunting-for-fun" stance?

Quote:
....hypocritical to decry the slaughter of wild animals for food on an internet forum and then tuck into a juicy steak that evening.
Also fascinating that you don't seem to distinguish between animals farmed for food and "wild animals" killed for sport, whether the meat is eaten or not. So do you agree with Bogie that its acceptable to hunt down and kill Whales such as the Fin, an endangered species?
Old 23 October 2006, 17:19   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jono View Post
Why do you you assume that it is "Predjudice" that creates an anti "hunting-for-fun" stance?
Perhaps I use the wrong word. (I certainly can't spell it). My point is more that there are different societal attitudes to hunting in different parts of the world. UK being very different from North America in this respect. I find that I personally have become more openminded about several things I would not have encountered in the UK that I have here. Moose Hunting, for food consumption purposes as opposed to just the pleasure of shooting an animal comes under the realm of acceptable activities in my world. I'm sorry if it doesn't in yours but perhaps its not something we need get worked up about?

Quote:
Also fascinating that you don't seem to distinguish between animals farmed for food and "wild animals" killed for sport, whether the meat is eaten or not. So do you agree with Bogie that its acceptable to hunt down and kill Whales such as the Fin, an endangered species?
Now you are just baiting me. There's a world of difference between moose, whale and cattle and this isn't the place for that debate. For the record and your interest I oppose whaling but have an inkling of understanding to the place that it plays in Icelandic culture.
Old 23 October 2006, 17:38   #16

Town: Isle of Wight
Remind me what the original post was about.
Old 23 October 2006, 17:41   #17

Town: Oakland CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbw156 View Post
Remind me what the original post was about.

Farmed moose driving RIB's to hunt whales, or something like that.

jky
Old 23 October 2006, 17:42   #18

Town: Over here
Boat name: S.S. Nobstick
Make: Three Wise Monkeys
Engine: 44lbs of thrust....
Quote:
....My point is more that there are different societal attitudes to hunting in different parts of the world. UK being very different from North America in this respect. I find that I personally have become more openminded about several things I would not have encountered in the UK that I have here.
I think the excuse of "it's socially acceptable here" is poor. Stoning and bride burning are social acceptable in some parts of the world, but that doesn't make that right, does it?

Quote:
Now you are just baiting me. There's a world of difference between moose, whale and cattle and this isn't the place for that debate. For the record and your interest I oppose whaling but have an inkling of understanding to the place that it plays in Icelandic culture.
Of course I'm baiting you....so what criteria do you use to determine whether it's acceptable to hunt a species? Do you support hunting for "sport" ?

..and to be fair.. I think it a “Prairie Tuber” that started the debate again….
Old 23 October 2006, 17:56   #19

Quote:
I think the excuse of "it's socially acceptable here" is poor. Stoning and bride burning are social acceptable in some parts of the world, but that doesn't make that right, does it?
Couldn't agree more. But how did we get from hunting animals to stoning and burning humans?

Quote:
Of course I'm baiting you....so what criteria do you use to determine whether it's acceptable to hunt a species? Do you support hunting for "sport" ?

Damn Canadians causing trouble again.

Whats the url of that ranting & debating site? I'm sure JK will be along in a minute to point us in the right direction. In the meantime I apologise for my part in the thread drift & lets get back on topic.

Gawd bless the yanks for bailing us out in WW2 eh?!
Old 24 October 2006, 01:49   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jono View Post
Whatever...

I'm not the one posting on rib.net that someone whose nutritional choices do not meet your approval should get his throat slashed because of it. Or was it my choice of implement used to harvest food that you disapproved of so severely that you wish me dead?

You seem to think that you can say whatever simply because we will probably never meet in person.

What would happen if your students choice of food, clothing, music did not conincide with your preferences - would you also tell them that they should get their throats torn out?

Words mean things whether they are spoken in person or posted on the internet.