Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 23 October 2006, 12:18   #11
Member
 
Country: Canada
Town: Newfoundland
Length: no boat
Join Date: May 2000
Posts: 2,097
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
No but I bet the Moose does!!!
I suspect the Moose isn't capable of rationalising that thought.......

I'm surprised at you Codders. I didn't have you down for an opponent of hunting given you rabid dislike of political correctness, the nanny state etc etc. Hunting in Canada is a very different proposition from hunting in the UK and enjoys a very different place in culture and society. I have learned to be open minded about things that I had not encountered in the UK. (There not being a big moose hunting thing going on in Essex.) I encourage you to think beyond your own predjudaces when considering the wider world.

Anyway, this has nothing to do with the NRA, guns or macho culture. Truth to tell, the missus enjoys the time in the woods, being in the outdoors etc and enjoys eating moose once killed/butchered/cooked but is equally happy that on this occasion they were unsuccesful. At least she's not so hypocritical to decry the slaughter of wild animals for food on an internet forum and then tuck into a juicy steak that evening.

In conclusion the answer to your question, 'What kind of lady goes moose hunting' is Laura, my wife. The same lady that goes ribbing and does the other million and one things that makes her special. You'd be fortunate beyond belief to find a woman half as good yourself Codders.
__________________

__________________
Out of the fog......
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2006, 12:32   #12
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 12,791
i agree that i am not politically correct - hunting for a purpose is fair enough I suppose - although if it was down to me I could never bring myself to kill an animal unless it was attacking me. I don't even like killing fish. To be honest though I wouldn't have the same reservations about killing certain people in the right situation!!!

Obviously Canadian women are different to British ones - most of the females I know wouldn't do anything that would mess up their hair or their nails!!! Maybe that's a good thing - especially considering the bitches I know....
__________________

__________________
codprawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2006, 12:36   #13
Member
 
Country: Canada
Town: British Columbia
Make: Gemini
Length: 4m +
Engine: 40hp 2 str
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 2,151
I detect a tinge of bitterness in that last phrase.



Oh and Alan, sounds like you made and extremely good choice in marrying Laura - she sounds like a wonderful lady.
__________________
prairie tuber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2006, 12:58   #14
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Over here
Boat name: S.S. Nobstick
Make: Three Wise Monkeys
Length: 3m +
Engine: 44lbs of thrust....
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 2,115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
.....I encourage you to think beyond your own predjudaces when considering the wider world.
Why do you you assume that it is "Predjudice" that creates an anti "hunting-for-fun" stance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
.....
....hypocritical to decry the slaughter of wild animals for food on an internet forum and then tuck into a juicy steak that evening.
Also fascinating that you don't seem to distinguish between animals farmed for food and "wild animals" killed for sport, whether the meat is eaten or not. So do you agree with Bogie that its acceptable to hunt down and kill Whales such as the Fin, an endangered species?
__________________
Jono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2006, 13:19   #15
Member
 
Country: Canada
Town: Newfoundland
Length: no boat
Join Date: May 2000
Posts: 2,097
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jono View Post
Why do you you assume that it is "Predjudice" that creates an anti "hunting-for-fun" stance?
Perhaps I use the wrong word. (I certainly can't spell it). My point is more that there are different societal attitudes to hunting in different parts of the world. UK being very different from North America in this respect. I find that I personally have become more openminded about several things I would not have encountered in the UK that I have here. Moose Hunting, for food consumption purposes as opposed to just the pleasure of shooting an animal comes under the realm of acceptable activities in my world. I'm sorry if it doesn't in yours but perhaps its not something we need get worked up about?



Quote:
Also fascinating that you don't seem to distinguish between animals farmed for food and "wild animals" killed for sport, whether the meat is eaten or not. So do you agree with Bogie that its acceptable to hunt down and kill Whales such as the Fin, an endangered species?
Now you are just baiting me. There's a world of difference between moose, whale and cattle and this isn't the place for that debate. For the record and your interest I oppose whaling but have an inkling of understanding to the place that it plays in Icelandic culture.
__________________
Out of the fog......
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2006, 13:38   #16
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Isle of Wight
Length: no boat
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 154
Remind me what the original post was about.
__________________
rbw156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2006, 13:41   #17
Member
 
Country: USA
Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 6,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbw156 View Post
Remind me what the original post was about.

Farmed moose driving RIB's to hunt whales, or something like that.

jky
__________________
jyasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2006, 13:42   #18
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Over here
Boat name: S.S. Nobstick
Make: Three Wise Monkeys
Length: 3m +
Engine: 44lbs of thrust....
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 2,115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
....My point is more that there are different societal attitudes to hunting in different parts of the world. UK being very different from North America in this respect. I find that I personally have become more openminded about several things I would not have encountered in the UK that I have here.
I think the excuse of "it's socially acceptable here" is poor. Stoning and bride burning are social acceptable in some parts of the world, but that doesn't make that right, does it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Now you are just baiting me. There's a world of difference between moose, whale and cattle and this isn't the place for that debate. For the record and your interest I oppose whaling but have an inkling of understanding to the place that it plays in Icelandic culture.
Of course I'm baiting you....so what criteria do you use to determine whether it's acceptable to hunt a species? Do you support hunting for "sport" ?

..and to be fair.. I think it a “Prairie Tuber” that started the debate again….
__________________
Jono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2006, 13:56   #19
Member
 
Country: Canada
Town: Newfoundland
Length: no boat
Join Date: May 2000
Posts: 2,097
Quote:
I think the excuse of "it's socially acceptable here" is poor. Stoning and bride burning are social acceptable in some parts of the world, but that doesn't make that right, does it?
Couldn't agree more. But how did we get from hunting animals to stoning and burning humans?


Quote:
Of course I'm baiting you....so what criteria do you use to determine whether it's acceptable to hunt a species? Do you support hunting for "sport" ?

..and to be fair.. I think it a “Prairie Tuber” that started the debate again….
Damn Canadians causing trouble again.

Whats the url of that ranting & debating site? I'm sure JK will be along in a minute to point us in the right direction. In the meantime I apologise for my part in the thread drift & lets get back on topic.

Gawd bless the yanks for bailing us out in WW2 eh?!
__________________
Out of the fog......
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2006, 21:49   #20
Member
 
Country: Canada
Town: British Columbia
Make: Gemini
Length: 4m +
Engine: 40hp 2 str
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 2,151
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jono View Post
..and to be fair.. I think it a “Prairie Tuber” that started the debate again….
Whatever...

I'm not the one posting on rib.net that someone whose nutritional choices do not meet your approval should get his throat slashed because of it. Or was it my choice of implement used to harvest food that you disapproved of so severely that you wish me dead?

You seem to think that you can say whatever simply because we will probably never meet in person.

What would happen if your students choice of food, clothing, music did not conincide with your preferences - would you also tell them that they should get their throats torn out?

Words mean things whether they are spoken in person or posted on the internet.
__________________

__________________
prairie tuber is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:21.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.