Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 27 October 2013, 20:52   #101
Member
 
Country: Canada
Town: Bella Coola
Boat name: Water Rocket
Make: Polaris
Length: 9m +
Engine: twin Yamaha 150 hp
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 117
Well our last pressing didn't turn out like we planned
I transferred the apples from our transporter to the "apple sorting table" and left them for the night.
[img[http://towd.smugmug.com/Boats/2013-funnies/i-L3NM6DV/0/O/ruf-apples2.jpg[/img]
During the night a young grizzly bear came in and knocked the apples and boxes off on the ground and ate his share

our dog Roscoe barked obscenities at it all night
next morning I saw that the bear had eaten more than half and left lots of steaming piles of bear apple surprises
Next night he cleaned the rest up only a few crab apples left.
electric fence next year
__________________

__________________
hank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2013, 20:54   #102
Member
 
Country: Canada
Town: Bella Coola
Boat name: Water Rocket
Make: Polaris
Length: 9m +
Engine: twin Yamaha 150 hp
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 117

photo didn't load in the last reply
Hank
__________________

__________________
hank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2013, 01:39   #103
Member
 
Barrowboy's Avatar
 
Country: Ireland
Town: Galway
Boat name: Top Banana
Make: Scorpion 9m
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yamaha 421STI
MMSI: Yeah right!
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 1,160
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by hank View Post
Well our last pressing didn't turn out like we planned
I transferred the apples from our transporter to the "apple sorting table" and left them for the night.
[img[http://towd.smugmug.com/Boats/2013-funnies/i-L3NM6DV/0/O/ruf-apples2.jpg[/img]
During the night a young grizzly bear came in and knocked the apples and boxes off on the ground and ate his share

our dog Roscoe barked obscenities at it all night
next morning I saw that the bear had eaten more than half and left lots of steaming piles of bear apple surprises
Next night he cleaned the rest up only a few crab apples left.
electric fence next year
Just goes to prove what we all know; sh1t happens.

How 'robust' does an electric fence have to be to deter a Grizzly btw?
__________________
Barrowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2013, 21:01   #104
Member
 
Country: Canada
Town: Bella Coola
Boat name: Water Rocket
Make: Polaris
Length: 9m +
Engine: twin Yamaha 150 hp
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 117
we have a electric fence on our other property around the fruit trees - I smear peanut butter on the wires. The shocker has a tag on it saying it will energize 50 miles of wire
the shocker should do it do something to the griz's nose
__________________
hank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2013, 16:18   #105
RIBnet admin team
 
willk's Avatar
 
Country: Ireland
Make: Redbay Boats
Length: 9m +
Engine: 370hp
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 12,230
RIBase
Jeeze - and I thought I had trouble with wildlife! My biggest intruders were a few Red Deer (Elk).

Anyways, today saw the last of my crop milled, pressed and casked up. The cider apples pressed out at 45% juice and I got a few litres from some cookers I saved too. I will vinify these separately and use the cooker cider for topping up casks or cooking - it will be fairly acidic. The cider apple casks will be blended later with the dessert apple cider which has just been racked. That has turned out very well, so clear at this stage that I was able to quaff a pint on ice. These current casks will probably be racked over Christmas and left to mature for a few months before blending and bottling in March/April. Time will tell - fingers crossed.

...and how much is there, I hear you ask?

About 400 pints

__________________
.
willk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2013, 16:34   #106
RIBnet supporter
 
Pikey Dave's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 6m +
Engine: 2 x 115 Etecs/DF140a
MMSI: 235060745/235111389
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 6,478
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
Jeeze - and I thought I had trouble with wildlife! My biggest intruders were a few Red Deer (Elk).

Anyways, today saw the last of my crop milled, pressed and casked up. The cider apples pressed out at 45% juice and I got a few litres from some cookers I saved too. I will vinify these separately and use the cooker cider for topping up casks or cooking - it will be fairly acidic. The cider apple casks will be blended later with the dessert apple cider which has just been racked. That has turned out very well, so clear at this stage that I was able to quaff a pint on ice. These current casks will probably be racked over Christmas and left to mature for a few months before blending and bottling in March/April. Time will tell - fingers crossed.

...and how much is there, I hear you ask?

About 400 pints

How about starting a vinegar culture with a gallon of the sour stuff.
__________________
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4: See rule#5
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2013, 16:42   #107
RIBnet admin team
 
willk's Avatar
 
Country: Ireland
Make: Redbay Boats
Length: 9m +
Engine: 370hp
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 12,230
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
How about starting a vinegar culture with a gallon of the sour stuff.
I'd toyed with the idea. I even had my eye on one of those tall glass jars the French use. There's one problem - vinegar making bacteria are the bogeymen of the cidermaker. They spoil cider so we tend not to want to encourage their numbers around the work area...

A bit of acidity might be needed in the blend anyway. Previously I've mixed the apples in the percentage I thought might be right to get a balanced juice.
__________________
.
willk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2013, 16:46   #108
Member
 
kerny's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Ashton-under-Lyne Lancs
Boat name: IMOGEN
Make: Air-Craft 5.4
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 60
MMSI: 235087492
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 6,947
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to kerny
400 pints of happy juice that should keep you going for a good month or so willk
__________________
Member of S.A.B.S. (Lancashire Division)
kerny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2013, 16:49   #109
Member
 
rocknrolla's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: brierley hill
Boat name: rocknrolla
Make: osprey
Length: 7m +
Engine: outboard
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 690
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
Jeeze - and I thought I had trouble with wildlife! My biggest intruders were a few Red Deer (Elk).

Anyways, today saw the last of my crop milled, pressed and casked up. The cider apples pressed out at 45% juice and I got a few litres from some cookers I saved too. I will vinify these separately and use the cooker cider for topping up casks or cooking - it will be fairly acidic. The cider apple casks will be blended later with the dessert apple cider which has just been racked. That has turned out very well, so clear at this stage that I was able to quaff a pint on ice. These current casks will probably be racked over Christmas and left to mature for a few months before blending and bottling in March/April. Time will tell - fingers crossed.

...and how much is there, I hear you ask?

About 400 pints

I would come ova and srt them red deer f free willk
__________________
rocknrolla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2013, 16:55   #110
RIBnet admin team
 
willk's Avatar
 
Country: Ireland
Make: Redbay Boats
Length: 9m +
Engine: 370hp
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 12,230
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocknrolla View Post
I would come ova and srt them red deer f free willk
...and probably sup a few pints while you're waiting for them
__________________

__________________
.
willk is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 17:18.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.