Town: Glasgow
Boat name: snagglepuss
Make: Shetland
Length: 6m +
Engine: 90 hp Outboard
how many people search for stuff on facebook

Hi

We are growing our social media side and I would like to know:

1:how many people search for things on facebook i.e a business?
2: how many people like to get updates by "liking" a company's facebook page

our page is at Clyde Outboard Services - Gourock, United Kingdom - Outdoor Gear/Sporting Goods | Facebook

all comments very welcome and feel free to "like" our page

Dave
Old 20 November 2012, 09:34   #2

Length: 7m +
I never use facebook for such for anything to buy or business related and would never 'like' a company. I do use normal search engines to find things and occasionaly they come up with a face book page but what I found was the face book pages is pretty useless and better information is on that companies main website.

despite who your target market is, yound people seem to live within facebook, so consideration to target market is important and then cover all the basics which might include facebook, twitter, website, ebay.

Based on what your selling which looks like includes outboards, sporting gear and cloths I would suggest get your website looking really great then also have an area on ebay and facebook, can only help to spread awareness and when you have muliple front doors so to speak with enouth information then you have more oppourtunity.

But remember there is also a downside to things like facebook and twitter etc, if you get one customer with a bad experience they can post comments about your business that may effect your business in a bad way and be dissproportinate to what the actual issue was so you may open a can of worms.
Old 20 November 2012, 11:34   #3

Town: Sheepy Parva
Boat name: Sadly Sold
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by boristhebold View Post
Based on what your selling which looks like includes outboards, sporting gear and cloths
Do you know something the market traders don't?
Old 20 November 2012, 11:46   #4

Town: Ashton-under-Lyne Lancs
Boat name: IMOGEN
Make: Air-Craft 5.4
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki df70a
MMSI: 235087492
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to kerny
Quote:
Originally Posted by boristhebold View Post

Based on what your selling which looks like includes outboards, sporting gear and cloths
I'm interested in these cloths, is there something special about them as to any old cloth
Old 20 November 2012, 13:01   #5

Town: Wakefield
Boat name: Bouncer
Make: Redbay Stormforce
Engine: 2x Honda 100 Hp
MMSI: 235025718
Not on Facebook think I would get arrested if I went on
Old 20 November 2012, 13:08   #6

Town: Sussex
Make: RIBTEC 655
Engine: Yam 150
If I need something I type it into eBay, have never searched FB.
Old 20 November 2012, 13:09   #7

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: snagglepuss
Make: Shetland
Engine: 90 hp Outboard
Hi

dont sell cloths but and our main interest is in outboards selling, servicing, repairs etc.

so what about when you have used a company. would you then follow them on facebook? i.e. we post events and will be posting 2nd hand engines so would you see "liking " worth while?

Dave
Old 20 November 2012, 13:11   #8

Town: Wickford, Essex
Boat name: Wanderer
Make: Ribeye, Zodiac FR
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yamaha F300, 25 2S
MMSI: 235095667
I wouldn't use Facebook. I use a mixture of the web and eBay.
Old 20 November 2012, 14:35   #9

Town: swanage
Make: Thundercat
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 50
The only company ive liked on facebook is Gopro. Thats only really because of the videos & photos they upload. Ive bought stuff from them cause of what ive seen on their page but didnt search for it on there. I go on to their website or ebay to buy or look at products
Old 20 November 2012, 14:36   #10

Town: portsmouth
Boat name: Hullabaloo
Make: Humber
Length: 8m +
Engine: 225 Optimax
RIBase
Hi Dave,

I'm interested in what you are doing and probably have thought the same thing at sometime.

However, when someone says "we are growing our social media side" I'm always inclined to smile and ask why? What are you hoping that will achieve? It's the old "if you're not sure where you're going, how will you know if you're getting there" thing.

Have you got someone on your team who truely understands social media? or are you planning to outsource it? Or are you just going to have a go yourself?

I can't see an argument for not doing it - providing you have the resources to throw at it. Good luck and I'd be intersted to know how you get on.

I've only ever used social media for "Search Engine Optimisation" but a little reserach tells me: -

How many people search things on FB? - For business, not that many (in the UK), but hey, things can change awful quickly.

How many people like to get updates by "liking" a company's facebook page? - A growing number, but it's a "soft option" currently more suited to national "brand awareness" than local impulse sales.

As I say, I wish you luck.
Old 20 November 2012, 15:11   #11
RIBnet supporter

Town: Hants
Engine: 300hp plus
Social Media

I have attended about three presentations with the FSB covering Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and the figures we were shown suggest that you do need to join in and use every site.
Facebook search engines have a massive pulling power and as we can see numerous people now use these and look also at recommendations on the sites. Interestingly Facebook is used for emailing people more and more and the biggest area of take up is an older age group no longer the 15-22yrs but 45-60

As for business, yes several bookings through facebook and twitter in last year, bare in mind these are free adverts its a no brainer and you can keep other clients up to date with what is happening and what is on offer.
Old 20 November 2012, 17:10   #12
ncp

Town: California
Make: Avon 5.4m Searider
Engine: Yamaha 90
A local rib tour operator here in San Diego has a Facebook page. While his website stays static and he probably pays someone to update and maintain it, the Facebook page can be updated personally. He can add pictures and videos of stuff he's seen out on the water and keep it more up to date. Without new content, people won't come back just to browse.

If you're selling items though, it's going to have to be you website or ebay.
Old 20 November 2012, 18:08   #13
CJL

Town: London/Oxford
Make: Ribcrafts
Engine: 150hp/2x115hp
MMSI: 235090215
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to CJL
Have a look at this - http://www.rya.org.uk/SiteCollection...ia%20(New).pdf

I manage two national Facebook pages and whilst I don't agree with everything in it, its a great starter guide.

You should look to use Facebook to make people aware of products and deals but I am not aware of people selling directly on Facebook in large quantities.

Have a look at Icom/Mercury/Volvo Sailing pages and compare them.

Chris
Old 20 November 2012, 18:35   #14

Town: NW Surrey
Boat name: Lady Helen
Make: Avon
Length: 3m +
Engine: Out Petrol 3.5 & 15
My village has a Facebook group set up to advertise: sales, services, exchanges and items wanted.

If you had one of these set up for engines people would automatically get updates when you added a new engine.

I get e-mail updates from Pacer Marine (10 miles away from me) when they add new items to their on-line shop.
Old 20 November 2012, 18:46   #15

Town: NorCal
Boat name: SHARKY
Make: AB
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF75 & BF5
Would I personally buy something from facebook, no. Do I look at FB yes I have an account. I google any products I am looking for and the cheapest place including shipping gets my business. Sometimes they take me to FB pages, which most of the time are set up just to sell one product.

Having a FB page that gets updated with customers pictures and the like gives the business a face. Running contests is even better. For instance best photo of the month, or randomly picking a customer that shares a photo, then give them a t-shirt or? The FB page needs to be active or people will view it once and never come back. If there is action they will want to join your FB page. Now you got their attention and can offer specials/coupons, and put together meet and greats etc. Customer appreciation BBQ with discounts offered can be shared, so when someone does come to the page, and sees all their buddies eating and having fun at the shop...well you get the hook idea. If the FB page isn't fun and active, with weekly posts, then it is not alive. Customers sharing videos and photos needs to be not only encourage, but somehow rewarded. Or so my non marketing thoughts go.
Old 20 November 2012, 18:55   #16

Town: Jersey
Boat name: Archangel
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: ETec 225
MMSI: 235063789
The only thing I've 'liked' on FB is the new Dallas page. Who would of thought that mad Rebecca Ewing would turn out to be Cliff Barnes' daughter? I never saw that one coming!! Roll on the second series!
Old 20 November 2012, 20:19   #17
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Dave,

For the sort of stuff you sell Facebook might not be crazy. e.g. there will be several people on here who are "friends" with Redbay boats, Bananashark (and possibly others) and so get the latest news, pictures of builds etc. But it really needs to be something like that where you have some "brand loyalty" and "following". I'm not sure if that applies to you but I think it could.

Will you sell anything directly? probably not. Will you seem more accessible to customers? possibly if you work at it.
Will it back fire and make you look crap? not if you are careful... (beware the tone in some of your posts on here could backfire).
Could it help you raise your profile in the W. of S. Boat owning world? Yes. But you need to think what will make people share your link etc - either really cool stuff, or some sort of competition etc.
Will your business survive without doing it? Almost certainly.
Will the people who communicate with you be actual customers? Possibly not. Use your time wisely.
Old 21 November 2012, 07:42   #18

Town: Salcombe, Devon, UK
Boat name: BananaShark
Make: BananaShark
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2xYanmar 260 diesels
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
Dave,

For the sort of stuff you sell Facebook might not be crazy. e.g. there will be several people on here who are "friends" with Redbay boats, Bananashark (and possibly others)
We have nearly 1,000 people following us who presumably get our updates on their page automatically - I guess our content is more interesting compared to a "for sale" page as it's photos, videos and news of the next big race like the Venture Cup.

I think some people follow a brand such as Redbay or Scorpion as it may be an aspirational brand rather than something they are planning to purchase?
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2012, 08:07   #19

Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Engine: Etec 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookee View Post
We have nearly 1,000 people following us who presumably get our updates on their page automatically - I guess our content is more interesting compared to a "for sale" page as it's photos, videos and news of the next big race like the Venture Cup.

I think some people follow a brand such as Redbay or Scorpion as it may be an aspirational brand rather than something they are planning to purchase?
I am, but since you mention it, I haven't seen anything for ages, Facebook pages tend to drop off your news feed unless you set it to all updates.

I think you're right about the aspirational side and also just a common interest that provides new pictures of stuff. I get fed stuff from yours, Redbay, Ribcraft etc but have no plans to buy another boat! I have to say the only thing I use FB for that is commercial is a local "ebay" type site here in the Falklands, I've really never considered it for any other commercial purchasing, and the only businesses I know that do use it are tourism type businesses here where photos and experiences are sort of what they are selling.

Part of the problem with anything advertised online is the sheer number of companies - not just marine but everywhere - who simply can't be bothered to reply to an email enquiry from a customer wanting to spend money. Many suppliers would do better to fix that fundamental failing before screwing around putting stuff on Twitbook. That isn't a dig at anybody on this thread, just one of my perennial gripes about online suppliers

Sent from my Computer, using a keyboard and mouse
BogMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2012, 11:02   #20
RIBnet supporter

Town: Hants
Engine: 300hp plus
Here is an example of good use of facebook business pages
http://www.facebook.com/bhgmarine