Old 21 November 2012, 11:07   #21

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: snagglepuss
Make: Shetland
Length: 6m +
Engine: 90 hp Outboard
Hi

currently we have 88 likes. Most of these are from people who have used us and based in Scotland so want updates on events etc and we are v happy with this.

what I am not sure of is the big question of could we done more with Facebook? I have no desire for lots of people liking us if we dont add value to them as all this would be is a vanity thing and not a business bennefit. I have also no desire to sell through FB but I would like to know if we could improve our page? and if so how?

Dave
Old 21 November 2012, 12:28   #22
RIBnet supporter

Town: Lymington Hampshire
Boat name: Hot Lemon
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: Yanmar diesel
MMSI: 235
We use it as a lot of our customers are Brides and they love to look at all the weddings stuff and compare with others , it seems to be popular and helps spread the word .http://www.facebook.com/www.alresfordmarquees have a look and like us too!
Old 21 November 2012, 15:14   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by LURCHER View Post
We use it as a lot of our customers are Brides and they love to look at all the weddings stuff and compare with others , it seems to be popular and helps spread the word .http://www.facebook.com/www.alresfordmarquees have a look and like us too!
This is my point. what do you gain from me liking your site? I am not going to get married ( 2 wife's would be even more stupid and illegal) so I dont want updates and I dont see what you gain? am i missing something?

ps nice page though
Old 21 November 2012, 15:40   #24
RIBnet supporter

I gain because some of your friends may have a wedding, party or other event coming up soon and they look at my pages etc . Well I hope they do.
Old 21 November 2012, 15:49   #25
RIBnet supporter

And yes we do work north of the Border too.
Old 21 November 2012, 16:10   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by LURCHER View Post
I gain because some of your friends may have a wedding, party or other event coming up soon and they look at my pages etc . Well I hope they do.
lol, sorry I think you are better of buying a lotto ticket as the odds will be miles better
Old 21 November 2012, 18:24   #27
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by BogMonster View Post
Part of the problem with anything advertised online is the sheer number of companies - not just marine but everywhere - who simply can't be bothered to reply to an email enquiry from a customer wanting to spend money. Many suppliers would do better to fix that fundamental failing before screwing around putting stuff on Twitbook.
You've touched on a subject dear to my own heart. I answer quite a few of these in my business. We have strict policy about replies and how fast they should be made. We also review answers and improve our technique - because it is a totally different sales situation.

However, be aware that "a fool can ask a question that even a wise man can't answer". I get emails with so many questions, ifs and buts that I can take well over an hour to answer a "stream of consciousness" query that took five minutes to compile. I could have answered the same query in five minutes by telephone and probably got a better grip of what the client wanted.

I do appreciate that your almost unique geographic location means email is a must and I'm not suggesting that you're an email timewaster.

However, I am going to take you off the Redbay Facebook list, as you have stated that you have no intention of buying one...

Old 21 November 2012, 18:59   #28
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by clydeoutboards View Post
I have also no desire to sell through FB but I would like to know if we could improve our page? and if so how?
I'd start by fixing the logo so it doesn't look like "my mum scanned it". You want to present a professional image.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookee View Post
I think some people follow a brand such as Redbay or Scorpion as it may be an aspirational brand rather than something they are planning to purchase?
Well I think an aspirational brand = one you can't afford to buy now but you hope to one day. Is it worth nursing that potential customer now for a sale that might come in 5, or 10 yrs time?
Old 21 November 2012, 20:48   #29

Town: Sticks, N.Yorks
Boat name: Tamanco
Make: Honwave 3.5AE
Engine: Tohatsu Outboard
Having bought from Clyde Outboars via tinternet it was a bonus to see Cameron all spruced up!
What about a few of Dave in his Sunday best ???
Old 21 November 2012, 21:25   #30

Town: LONDON
Make: SR4/ZODIAC/3D
Length: 4m +
Engine: 30T/40T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
I'd start by fixing the logo so it doesn't look like "my mum scanned it". You want to present a professional image.

Well I think an aspirational brand = one you can't afford to buy now but you hope to one day. Is it worth nursing that potential customer now for a sale that might come in 5, or 10 yrs time?
Nurse all potential customers..............the nursing turns that 5 year wait into months.
Old 22 November 2012, 08:25   #31

Town: Salcombe, Devon, UK
Boat name: BananaShark
Make: BananaShark
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2xYanmar 260 diesels
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
Exactly! And to follow on from Lurcher's principle of friends off friends I welcome anyone onto the BananaShark page because you never know! In the same way I try to answer all email enquiries as soon as possible.
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2012, 08:50   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddlers View Post
Having bought from Clyde Outboars via tinternet it was a bonus to see Cameron all spruced up!
What about a few of Dave in his Sunday best ???
you really dont want to see a specky 4 eyes fat man. That would put you and others off.

Dave
Old 22 November 2012, 09:30   #33

Town: Sticks, N.Yorks
Boat name: Tamanco
Make: Honwave 3.5AE
Engine: Tohatsu Outboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by clydeoutboards View Post
you really dont want to see a specky 4 eyes fat man. That would put you and others off.

Dave
You have a point !
Still a bit of a bonus given the distance involved. I use the internet a lot & use ebay a lot but I've now bought a few items off the ribnet forums & obviously an engine from yourself but I really use facebook for social contacts & have actively tried to limit the 'spam' type adverts on there but enjoy looking at various photos & articles that people I have contact with post!
Old 23 November 2012, 08:24   #34

Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
However, be aware that "a fool can ask a question that even a wise man can't answer". I get emails with so many questions, ifs and buts that I can take well over an hour to answer a "stream of consciousness" query that took five minutes to compile. I could have answered the same query in five minutes by telephone and probably got a better grip of what the client wanted.

I do appreciate that your almost unique geographic location means email is a must and I'm not suggesting that you're an email timewaster.

However, I am going to take you off the Redbay Facebook list, as you have stated that you have no intention of buying one...
I realise that but every enquiry is a potential sale and it's a brave business that decides a new enquiry is a waste of time without replying to it? Repeat enquiries from the same customer without buying anything, different situation.

I could ring people on Skype for tuppence but sadly my experience is that it's better to get quotes etc in writing to avoid a convenient loss of memory, which is one main reason. The second reason is, as a customer, I think it's up to me to choose how I want to communicate with somebody I'm trying to give money to. I tend to do stuff in the evenings which is no good for any supplier whether local or overseas, I've got a busy day job and no time to think about shopping for leisure stuff during the working day.

Lost count of the number of people who have lost business from me over the years just because they can't be bothered to reply, and it certainly isn't because I never spend anything. Quite a few marine suppliers fall into that category, though I won't bother to name them. Thankfully there is almost always somebody else which a much better attitude to business

I see you've already deleted me from the Redbay list...

Sent from my Computer, using a keyboard and mouse
BogMonster is offline   Reply With Quote