Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 01 June 2014, 17:52   #31
RIBnet supporter
 
tonymac's Avatar
 
Country: Ireland
Town: Belfast
Boat name: Cait
Make: Humber
Length: 5m +
Engine: 90hp Opti
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 909
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerny View Post
Does that mean that all our towns, city's, pubs , shops, supermarkets and banks etc, etc
count as well

Linky...CCTV, Privacy and The Law
About 10 years ago a guy came to reception of my school. He demanded to see our CCTV policy and wanted a copy of our video (no DTV then!) of him walking past our gates on the public road. When I was called by my secretary I was stumped!
Turned out he worked for the local education authority and was just highlighting the legal scenario for all schools with CCTV. (He organised a policy, check-tables for maintenance etc).
He also cited cases of various banks that had small court cases taken against them by an organised group of knowledgeable people who knew the law about CCTV capturing images in public places.
Now this was 10 years ago. I have retired from school and work elsewhere now so I'm not current on leglislation.
Can someone else help here??
__________________
-**-**-**-**-**-**-**-**-**-**-**-**
Any meaning read into my message is the product of your own mind...
tonymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 June 2014, 17:55   #32
Member
 
kerny's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Ashton-under-Lyne Lancs
Boat name: IMOGEN
Make: Air-Craft 5.4
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 60
MMSI: 235087492
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 7,040
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to kerny
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonymac View Post
About 10 years ago a guy came to reception of my school. He demanded to see our CCTV policy and wanted a copy of our video (no DTV then!) of him walking past our gates on the public road. When I was called by my secretary I was stumped!
Turned out he worked for the local education authority and was just highlighting the legal scenario for all schools with CCTV. (He organised a policy, check-tables for maintenance etc).
He also cited cases of various banks that had small court cases taken against them by an organised group of knowledgeable people who knew the law about CCTV capturing images in public places.
Now this was 10 years ago. I have retired from school and work elsewhere now so I'm not current on leglislation.
Can someone else help here??
Polyyyyyyyyy.....
__________________

__________________
Member of S.A.B.S. (Lancashire Division)
kerny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 June 2014, 18:12   #33
RIBnet admin team
 
Poly's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 10,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonymac View Post
About 10 years ago a guy came to reception of my school. He demanded to see our CCTV policy and wanted a copy of our video (no DTV then!) of him walking past our gates on the public road. When I was called by my secretary I was stumped!
Turned out he worked for the local education authority and was just highlighting the legal scenario for all schools with CCTV. (He organised a policy, check-tables for maintenance etc).
He also cited cases of various banks that had small court cases taken against them by an organised group of knowledgeable people who knew the law about CCTV capturing images in public places.
Now this was 10 years ago. I have retired from school and work elsewhere now so I'm not current on leglislation.
Can someone else help here??
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerny View Post
Polyyyyyyyyy.....
You rang!

Tony - it sounds like he was trying to scare* you with aspects of the data protection act which apply to CCTV images. The DPA doesn't apply to individuals for domestic use (rather than companies / councils etc).

I believe from a brief discussion with Willk a while back that the rules in "the South" are tougher than "the North".


*I'm sceptical that his cited cases were all real, a bit like 'elf n safety people these stories often involve a lot of chinese whispers, and it supports his task so he's not going be overly worried about the facts!
__________________
Poly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 June 2014, 18:50   #34
RIBnet supporter
 
tonymac's Avatar
 
Country: Ireland
Town: Belfast
Boat name: Cait
Make: Humber
Length: 5m +
Engine: 90hp Opti
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 909
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
You rang!

Tony - it sounds like he was trying to scare* you with aspects of the data protection act which apply to CCTV images. The DPA doesn't apply to individuals for domestic use (rather than companies / councils etc).

I believe from a brief discussion with Willk a while back that the rules in "the South" are tougher than "the North".


*I'm sceptical that his cited cases were all real, a bit like 'elf n safety people these stories often involve a lot of chinese whispers, and it supports his task so he's not going be overly worried about the facts!

Thanks for this Poly.

Yes I'm aware that the DPA does not apply to domestic installations but the Human Rights Act does and that includes some privacy elements that are slightly unclear when it comes to domestic CCTV.
I'm only thankful that the LEA sent this guy out - he looked after all paperwork and dealt with all enquirys for me. (It was in the North)
You are right in your assessment about the differences between the North and South. In my current role I had a discussion with the DP people in Dublin. Before they would talk with me they cautioned me!
I have CCTV at my house also. It covers a small part of my neighbours driveway. I called him in, showed him the video and asked him if he was ok with it. Short circuited all problems at the start.
__________________
-**-**-**-**-**-**-**-**-**-**-**-**
Any meaning read into my message is the product of your own mind...
tonymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 June 2014, 18:55   #35
Member
 
Bigmuz7's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 90
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 5,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony t View Post
I'm on a mission now
Aye thats you grounded .. no more pinching ladies bras, stockings, and knickers off washing lines eh ?
__________________
Bigmuz7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 June 2014, 19:02   #36
RIBnet admin team
 
Poly's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 10,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonymac View Post
but the Human Rights Act does and that includes some privacy elements that are slightly unclear when it comes to domestic CCTV.
No it doesn't - the Human Rights Act only applies to 'the state' (and its agents) so government bodies etc but not individuals or even most companies.
__________________
Poly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 June 2014, 19:08   #37
RIBnet supporter
 
tonymac's Avatar
 
Country: Ireland
Town: Belfast
Boat name: Cait
Make: Humber
Length: 5m +
Engine: 90hp Opti
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 909
RIBase
Ok I stand corrected. Thanks for that Poly
__________________
-**-**-**-**-**-**-**-**-**-**-**-**
Any meaning read into my message is the product of your own mind...
tonymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 June 2014, 08:15   #38
Member
 
kerny's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Ashton-under-Lyne Lancs
Boat name: IMOGEN
Make: Air-Craft 5.4
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 60
MMSI: 235087492
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 7,040
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to kerny
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmuz7 View Post
Aye thats you grounded .. no more pinching ladies bras, stockings, and knickers off washing lines eh ?
Thats shut him up

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonymac View Post
Ok I stand corrected. Thanks for that Poly
If in doubt give poly a shout... he's the RIBnet equivalent of Google
__________________
Member of S.A.B.S. (Lancashire Division)
kerny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 June 2014, 08:27   #39
Member
 
HUMBER P4VWL's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: N Wales Chester
Boat name: Mr Smith
Make: Humber
Length: 6m +
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 5,013
Problem you have is that unless you can get back to the property as it's happening, your boat will still go. You'll just have great shots of an average looking thief in the act. Car reg's are usually stolen so they're useless too.

Even if he is recognised by the police, your boat will have likely gone and he'll have to pay 20p a month for 10 yrs back to you if it ever gets anywhere.

Our business estate was rampant with thefts for a while. Security to stop them getting in, alarms on entry and on site presence/reaction (human or animal) is the only real solution.

Bitter experience unfortunately.

You may be just as well spending the money on other safety things to prevent it being nicked.
__________________
HUMBER P4VWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 June 2014, 08:38   #40
Member
 
kerny's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Ashton-under-Lyne Lancs
Boat name: IMOGEN
Make: Air-Craft 5.4
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 60
MMSI: 235087492
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 7,040
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to kerny
Quote:
Originally Posted by HUMBER P4VWL View Post
Problem you have is that unless you can get back to the property as it's happening, your boat will still go. You'll just have great shots of an average looking thief in the act. Car reg's are usually stolen so they're useless too.

Even if he is recognised by the police, your boat will have likely gone and he'll have to pay 20p a month for 10 yrs back to you if it ever gets anywhere.

Our business estate was rampant with thefts for a while. Security to stop them getting in, alarms on entry and on site presence/reaction (human or animal) is the only real solution.

Bitter experience unfortunately.

You may be just as well spending the money on other safety things to prevent it being nicked.
What a load of bollixs....Domestic cctv has proven time and again that it works as your average tea leaf will just pass on to somewhere a lot easier, even so called reformed thieves will tell you this.

Professional thieves are a different matter and as for 20 pence a month if my rib was nicked what do you think we have insurance for

Also if someone tried to abduct a child while playing on the drive or garden I think that cctv footage would be invaluable.

If i did not work nobody would have it.
__________________

__________________
Member of S.A.B.S. (Lancashire Division)
kerny is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:16.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.