Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
HMRC Grrr!!

Came home from our Dublin trip to find a letter from HMRC on the doormat. According to their system I failed to submit a contractors monthly return for December 2014, unless I write to them with a suitable reason/excuse within 30 days, dire consequences will follow. Call me meticulous, but when I pick fights, I usually do my homework first & choose my opponents carefully, HMRC ain't high on my list of contenders, so I tend to be scrupulous in my dealings. All my paperwork, tax returns are invariably submitted early, so I checked my records & could find no evidence of a late/missing submission, rang the "Helpline" after waiting 12minutes, they could find no reason either why the letter had been sent & suggested I fax some office in Hull, "can't I ring them?" "No sorry". So I sends a fax to hull, gets a return call "Hmm! we've looked into it & it appears to be an error, ignore the letter. We'll send you confirmation in the post"

So, how come when I make an error, HMRC slap me with a £100 quid fine? When THEY make an error, I just have to ignore it
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2015, 15:24   #2

Town: portsmouth
Boat name: Hullabaloo
Make: Humber
Length: 8m +
Engine: 225 Optimax
RIBase
Dave, You've got it all wrong mate!

You are an unpaid tax collector for HMRC and when you screw up in your job they will fine you for being a bad employee.

If they tell you you have screwed up in your job and in fact you haven't, then that is just a mistake and has no cosequences for the employer.

You should be grateful that they are monitoring your work - to help you avoid making any mistakes!

Talk about ungrateful!!!

Old 13 July 2015, 15:29   #3

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Run View Post
Dave, You've got it all wrong mate!

You are an unpaid tax collector for HMRC and when you screw up in your job they will fine you for being a bad employee.

If they tell you you have screwed up in your job and in fact you haven't, then that is just a mistake and has no cosequences for the employer.

You should be grateful that they are monitoring your work - to help you avoid making any mistakes!

Talk about ungrateful!!!

Ahh! Right I see now. All these years I've been getting it wrong 😏

.....sh1t happens.......
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2015, 15:59   #4

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Engine: Etec 90
Ive stories as long as me left arm about the failings of HMRC and how they continually tell me how to run my business, whilst Ive been able to prove that they don't know how to run theirs sometimes whilst their representatives have been stood in my office !

The closest tail of woe to yours was that on one occasion they had lost my monthly RDCO return .. threatened to fine me, then a week later they 'found' it. 'Please ignore previous letter' .. Same thing happened 10 months later .. we went through the same shenanigins only this time it could not be found .. and the fact they had made the same mistake previously counted for nothing .. it was still my fault... even though a know it was posted. So now ? its proof of postage every time ... and i'll catch them out sooner or later. The same form can be filled out online .. but fook me after hours of searching I've never found it. And the whole RDCO scheme is a useless waste of paper anyway. Gotta love Britain
Old 13 July 2015, 22:07   #5

Town: Gloucester
Boat name: Lunasea
Engine: Suzi 140
MMSI: 232005050
I love it when THEY have made an error on your tax, you pay what you believe is due based on THEIR figures, it is YOUR fault it's wrong. I just wish the fines for omissions, and interest rates were reciprocal - that would focus HMRC on getting it right first time as we have to do