Old 23 October 2008, 08:32   #21

Town: Here
Boat name: doggypaddle
Make: Avon 5.4 Searider
Length: 5m +
Engine: yamaha 80
[quote=Bigmuz7;268779] Nice,.. warm in all senses of the word sounds a bit of a Quad set up only with extra KT88's

Funny you should say that, It was listening to a pair of quad 2s studying the circuit diagram and thinking i could improve on it that started the whole obsession with valve amp design!
I am glad to say its been well worth it because i now have a poweramp that cost a few hundred quid to build that ,in the words of anthony matthews of tube distinctions Is the most natural sounding KT88 based amp he has ever heard, that included their own amps too
It may not be pretty, and its certainly dangerous to stray fingers, but i made it and it sounds good, there in lies the satisfaction!.
Old 27 October 2008, 01:19   #22

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
I have a J. A. Michell which is now stored in the attic along with my vinyl..... why? Because the vinyl has deteriorated over time, worn through use, scratched from times when I knew I really should have stepped away from the turntable but didn't (yes I committed the cardinal sin of enjoying myself) and CD/digital media really have taken over. Like wool, cotton and now synthetic fabrics have taken over from animal skins...
Richard B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2008, 01:31   #23

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard B View Post
I have a J. A. Michell which is now stored in the attic along with my vinyl..... why? Because the vinyl has deteriorated over time, worn through use, scratched from times when I knew I really should have stepped away from the turntable but didn't (yes I committed the cardinal sin of enjoying myself) and CD/digital media really have taken over. Like wool, cotton and now synthetic fabrics have taken over from animal skins...
I thought wool did come from animals - and just because synthetics are more popular doesn't actually make them better - the best sleeping bags are still down filled - lighter and warmer but also a lot more expensive!!!

I agree vinyl only sounds good when in pristine condition but when it is - different league - mellow - difference between real butter and Flora!!!
Old 27 October 2008, 02:11   #24

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
I thought wool did come from animals
I didn't ever say anything to the contrary! Thanks for reminding me why I've abstained from this site for ages
Richard B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2008, 10:11   #25

Town: Here
Boat name: doggypaddle
Make: Avon 5.4 Searider
Engine: yamaha 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
I thought wool did come from animals - and just because synthetics are more popular doesn't actually make them better - the best sleeping bags are still down filled - lighter and warmer but also a lot more expensive!!!

I agree vinyl only sounds good when in pristine condition but when it is - different league - mellow - difference between real butter and Flora!!!
I cant really tell the difference between mint vinyl and CD from a good source anymore (ie IKOS or better cd player,) but thats what age and abuse does to your ears, however what i like about vinyl is the character, i can remember how every click and scratch happened on most of my vinyl, and playing them brings back the memories of the drunken youthful stupor that caused it! Vinyl is unique, personalised over the years, you dont get that with CD it either works or its fekt.
Yes digital has taken over, its more compact, more convienent,more consistent, but as anyone who has listened to vinyl on a no compromise turntable and phono stage will agree it has something extra that cant be measured, which may well be psychological
Another reason why there was a general opinion that cd was better than vinyl (this may well be a conspiracy theory) was that cds were cheaper to manufacture and sold for more than a record, so some record companies reduced the dynamic range of vinyl in that period so the cd compared better, and they sold more and reduced overheads therefore making more profit.
Old 27 October 2008, 21:08   #26

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Engine: Etec 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggypaddle View Post
I cant really tell the difference between mint vinyl and CD from a good source anymore (ie IKOS or better cd player,) but thats what age and abuse does to your ears, however what i like about vinyl is the character, i can remember how every click and scratch happened on most of my vinyl, and playing them brings back the memories of the drunken youthful stupor that caused it! Vinyl is unique, personalised over the years, you dont get that with CD it either works or its fekt.
Yes digital has taken over, its more compact, more convienent,more consistent, but as anyone who has listened to vinyl on a no compromise turntable and phono stage will agree it has something extra that cant be measured, which may well be psychological
Another reason why there was a general opinion that cd was better than vinyl (this may well be a conspiracy theory) was that cds were cheaper to manufacture and sold for more than a record, so some record companies reduced the dynamic range of vinyl in that period so the cd compared better, and they sold more and reduced overheads therefore making more profit.
The question is ..... is vinyl as true as the original sound or just a romantic association ?,.... for me the jury is out on that one,.. as the super convenience of an ipod with my entire collection on it takes some beating and the drive for perfection in sound (which was always personal anyway) has been replaced by convenience ... I blame having kids .. ... doh and the internet .. but then, I let the internerd off for all its other benefits

And we don't get album art anymore How many iconic pictures have there been just from the piccies on a sleeve , Abbey road etc .. all gone now