Old 11 November 2004, 11:15   #1

Town: Manchester - Abersoc
Boat name: MeMe
Make: SeaPro 595CC
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mercury 115 4S
Send a message via MSN to MeMe
Here's a challange to all you.......

....would-be engineers. Although I've received a little advice on this matter already from a trusted forum member, I can not help myself but open this up for discussion and advice, furthermore, I'm sure it will prompt some decent jibes.

Here's the problem / question.

I wish to launch and recover my boat without getting the chassis of my jeep too wet whilst also alleviating the fear of getting stuck in the sand. So far the only idea I can come up with (stolen to be honest) is to extend the distance from the vehicle to the trailer by way of a 15ft (ish) extension bar (see picture).

Unfortunately I'm informed that by simply placing this bar between the two I will create a consatina effect and simply sandwich the bar between the boat and trailer whilst possibly causing damage due to the forces created through the leverage of the bar, just as one might purposefully manufacture force with a pipe on the end of a spanner to loosen a nut and bolt - are you with me so far ?

Anyway - any ideas ?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bar2.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	20.6 KB
ID:	9066  
Old 11 November 2004, 11:27   #2

Town: Torquay
Make: Bayliner
Length: 5m +
Engine: I/B 3L
I think you will find the end connecting to the trailer will need to be a fixed solid connection.

Another ball into a scocket won't work as you then have 2 moving joints between you and the trailer which will make it uncontrolable.

Can you not mount the bar to the trailer frame somewhere ?
Old 11 November 2004, 11:30   #3

Town: Over here
Boat name: S.S. Nobstick
Make: Three Wise Monkeys
Length: 3m +
Engine: 44lbs of thrust....
Mmm.... interesting concept... you may just find it impossible to reverse with two pivot points. However I have seen several alternatives that make a rigid joint on the trailer end, which seemed like a practical idea to me. It was a ball hitch with a claw arrangement that fitted over the drawbar of the trailer allowing vertical movement (to a degree) but prevented lateral movement. I'm sure it was on this forum somewhere..... alternatively.. dump the 4X4 and buy a tractor.. I hear they’re all the rage on the Llyn peninsular..
Old 11 November 2004, 12:13   #4

Town: Wilmslow
Boat name: Serotonin
Make: Quicksilver
Engine: Mariner 15
Graeme I think you are approaching this from the wrong angle the solution is simple see this link http://www.jmgphotolibrary.co.uk/misc/M1515.htm
Old 11 November 2004, 12:22   #5

I knew I could.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeMe
I'm sure it will prompt some decent jibes.

.....rely on you Fred. Some how I don't think the Warren would approve, do you ?
Old 11 November 2004, 12:27   #6

Town: Farnborough
Boat name: Narcissus
Make: Cobra
Length: 7m +
Engine: Optimax 225
I prefer the idea of the extended draw bar being rigid so that the nose weight is still taken by the tow vehicle. Otherwise you're relying on the jockey wheel, and they're pants in anything soft.

If you are keen for the jockey wheel to take the load, but have it fixed horizontally, you can still use the ball hitch, but also have a pair of rigging wires running from some point along the extended bar back to a wide point each side on the trailer (ie just in front of the wheels perhaps). Ya could go as far as to use a dinghy rig tensioner to tension the wires after connecting to hold the whole lot firm. The angles wouldn't be ideal, but it should possible to get to work.
Old 11 November 2004, 13:16   #7

Town: nr Lymington
Boat name: JU-JU
Make: Halmatic PAC22
Engine: 140.5 Mermaid
The fixed extended drawbar idea is used by some on the slip at Beaulieu and it does seem to work, but I think you would want to increase the cross section of the drawbar because it is more likely to bend the longer it gets. Des
Old 11 November 2004, 13:24   #8

Doh didn't fink of dat anyway I thought you posh gits on the Warren had aMan with a tractor to do your bidd ing
Old 11 November 2004, 14:16   #9

Mad Mat & Scary Des, are these.........

...really names that envoke trust ?

The wire tensioning idea sounds good, I'll give it some thought as I was contemplating an A Frame type set up but that would have just been a ball ache and as Jono pointed out I may as well just buy a tractor.
Old 11 November 2004, 14:24   #10

You're right of course, I wouldn't trust anything that I say.
Old 11 November 2004, 14:42   #11

Town: Whitstable
Boat name: Tango
Make: Avon and Narwhal2.4m
Length: 4m +
Engine: 60HP Yamaha
MeMe ....simply untie and unhitch the boat, grease up all the rollers and reverse that baby fast backwards down the beach, hit the breaks right at the last minute and see that sucker fly of the back

This way you wont get your jeepy thing wet, though be careful you dont hit the break to early or it could all end tragically
Old 11 November 2004, 14:45   #12

Excellent idea!

How about recovery?
Old 11 November 2004, 14:46   #13

Hi Graeme

Been giving this problem some serious’ish thought, and stressing that I am in no way an engineer but I would have thought that the pivot points need to be as far apart as practicable Therefore the pivot points should be the ball hitch on the Suzzie and the axle of the trailer if this is complete B***ocks read no further.

Your still reading so I’ll continue:-

Attach a hitch to a 5metre (we’re metric now) square section Internal size greater than your trailer hitch, car connection end now sorted.

At the other end remove 6 to 12 inches ( I understand imperial better) of the top side so you now have a u shaped section drill a hole in the bottom face 5 – 11 inches from the end and attach a towball which has a screw bolt vertically below the ball I know this sounds totally stupid but such a ball does exist and I have one which you can have. so bolt this into the u section ensuring that there is sufficient room for the hitch to drop into the “U” and over the ball. Then drill a hole or 2 in one vertical sides of the U and weld a nut over each hole, you can then insert a bolt or 2 through the side section and clamp up tight against trailer drawbar. Sounds great to me so I’m just waiting for all U engineers to tell me why this is utter B***ocks,
Old 11 November 2004, 14:57   #14

recovery...Thats the easy bit

Assuming MeMe has the boat in the water and the hull is still in one piece though.

Construct a small ski ramp from marine ply and have someone position it directly in front of the aproaching boat and between the trailer, then once in position all MeMe has to do is open that big boy strapped on the back up and follow a straight course on his Humminbird whoops sorry should have said Garmin and hit that ramp smack in the centre and let that baby fly like an eagle straight onto the awaiting trailer......of course he's gona need a few attempts to work out the optimum take of speed or he'll miss the trailer and either end up on the car roof rack or in the car park in a nasty mess.

Still what a show he'll put on and if it all goes tragically wrong he'll go down in boating stupidity history
Old 11 November 2004, 15:19   #15

All we need now is Phil....

........ Davies to advise the correct rake of the ramp, speed of impact and expected g-force figures the passangers can expect during flight. Further, should I consider in flight catering and if so, should this be a hot meal or snack ?
Old 11 November 2004, 15:21   #16

Sounds like a load........

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred bolton
I know this sounds totally stupid but such a ball does exist and I have one which you can have.
...of bo***ks to me but if there's something going free, I'll give it a try
Old 11 November 2004, 15:30   #17

Town: nr Lymington
Boat name: JU-JU
Make: Halmatic PAC22
Engine: 140.5 Mermaid
Quote:
Originally Posted by fred bolton
Doh didn't fink of dat anyway I thought you posh gits on the Warren had aMan with a tractor to do your bidd ing
from this comment I take it that you don’t have a ‘man wot does’, you northern ribbers are so quaint.

Anyway I don’t know were you get the idea that I am posh, I launch my rib with a dumper. No fancy jeep for me

Des
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dumper.JPG
Views:	177
Size:	14.9 KB
ID:	9067  
Old 11 November 2004, 15:41   #18

If we think about it are........

......we not using a sledge hammer to crack a nut. After all, all I want to do is mooch the trailer wheels upto the waters edge, hop out of the jeep, place the extension (no not a dildo before you go all pervy on me) between my legs (look now you've got me at it), place the extension between the jeep and trailer and push it back 10/15 feet. Is it really going to jacknife or will not a good sharp shove get it moving in the right direction. Perhaps a decent sand wheel would help locked off in the right position ? What do ya think ?
Old 11 November 2004, 15:42   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeMe
........ Davies to advise the correct rake of the ramp, speed of impact and expected g-force figures the passangers can expect during flight. Further, should I consider in flight catering and if so, should this be a hot meal or snack ?
MeMe...... now dont be so silly, this is taking it to extremes dont you think, besides the fact that Lord D doesn't have the available band width to consult on these matters with all the shooting he's been doing recently the skies of essex are looking rather barren.
I noticed on your extensive inventory that you don thave a cooker, so would suggest its going to be difficult to serve a hot meal in flight
Old 11 November 2004, 15:45   #20

Balls free, but + delivery charge to Abersoch + Hotel + Subsistence etc + vhf Course with Jono (the real one not the interloper) in Abersoch next on 27 / 28th Nov or you can collect from home anytime.