Old 20 March 2007, 12:39   #1

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Eighth Child
Make: Rib X
Length: 6m +
Engine: 150 E-Tec
Help with a new computer (real)

Can anyone help me with what ought to be a simple computer purchase?

All I want is basic PC to run an accounts package on and to be able to connect it to my existing network so it can share the printer and use the broadband.

Anyone have a favourite shop or should I just talk to the spotty teenager at PC world?
Old 20 March 2007, 13:16   #2

Town: Oakley
Boat name: Zerstörer
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki DF 140
MMSI: 235050131
Peter,

For those sort of requirements one of the deals at PC World using a voucher from a national newspaper (Usually at the weekend and especially Bank Holidays) would get you a good deal.

Also, much as I hate them, Dell have some good offers. But with Dell you need to be extra careful with what you are actually purchasing and double check what you are getting.

Heres a link to some Dell PCs

http://www1.euro.dell.com/content/pr...hs1&l=en&s=dhs

And heres one to a cheap PC World PC.

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/sto...&show_all=true

As cheap as £289 at PC World. Very good.

You could also try Tesco's. The larger Tesco's seem good.

Hope this helps.

Nick.
Old 20 March 2007, 13:24   #3

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Hate PC World with a vengence. Try to find a smaller independent shop in your area - you will get much better support as a rule. Don't let anyone sell you an extended warrenty - that's how they make their money.
Old 20 March 2007, 13:29   #4
RIBnet supporter

Town: Over there ---->
Length: 3m +
I wouldn't touch PC world with a VERY long stick. Also, avoid Evesham Vale like the plague too (they supply Woolworths).

I would recomend Dell, they are expensive for what you get, but they (certainly used to) have very good build quality - I've had my Dell since 2000, and apart from a couple of new hard drives (dodgy electrics in my student house) and an upgraded graphics card for gaming, its still running like new. Their help line was always quick and useful too.

That said, Codprawn's recomendation to go to a decent local shop has to be the best way to go - personal service from someone who actually knows what they're talking about.
Old 20 March 2007, 13:33   #5

Don't knock PC World. If you get a good enough deal its worth it.

Also we aren't talking leading edge stuff here so PC World will do fine.

Small retailers tend to be expensive and may well not be around in a years time to cover any warranty. PC World will.
Old 20 March 2007, 13:33   #6

I wouldn't go near a Dell if you ever want the machine upgraded - they glue the CPU to the heatsink with Epoxy resin!!! Dell have some pretty sharp practices as well - they don't make much money on the actual sale - it's later on as they have you by the danglies.......
Old 20 March 2007, 13:38   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggles View Post
Don't knock PC World. If you get a good enough deal its worth it.

Also we aren't talking leading edge stuff here so PC World will do fine.

Small retailers tend to be expensive and may well not be around in a years time to cover any warranty. PC World will.
I still can't forgive PC World for the way they treated a mate of mine. Normally of course I sort out his computers but we were abroad on a contract at the time. He took his computer into PC World for a healthcheck as he had a problem with it. They shoved a floppy disk into the machine and ran some diagnostics - charged him £50 and said it was fine. Wjhen it still had the same problem they wiped his disk - lost all his data and reinstalled Windows - still the same problem.

It doesn't really need a genius to realise taht if a computer is blue screening for no apparent reason the cooling fan is probably stuck. Took me about 30 seconds to open the case and see the fan wasn't spinning - another 2 minutes and some WD40 and it was solved - REALLY basic stuff but beyond PC World.

They refused to give him a refund either - until I went down there - for some reason they couldn't get me out of there fast enough.....
Old 20 March 2007, 13:39   #8

Having said that i would never buy a PC for what I do (Gaming) from:-

1) PC World.

2) Dell.

3) Evesham.

4) Novatech.

5) Alien.

To get the best computer you need to build it yourself.

Thing is Pete doesn't want the best. Therefore in this instance I think PC World might be his best bet.
Old 20 March 2007, 13:57   #9

Town: Exmouth, Devon
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
I wouldn't go near a Dell if you ever want the machine upgraded - they glue the CPU to the heatsink with Epoxy resin!!! Dell have some pretty sharp practices as well - they don't make much money on the actual sale - it's later on as they have you by the danglies.......
How many regular users actually upgrade their processor?

For Peter's benefit, try the Dell outlet site - they have refurb/return units (with warranty) at better prices. If you go for Dell regular, squeeze everything you can from them - free delivery, screen upgrade, more memory etc. Better over the phone than online to get best deals.

Other than that, I have a Mesh PC that has been fine for over two years with a daily hammering.

But don't waste your time comparing price and every last component from 10 different suppliers - it's worse than mobile phone tariffs!

Also, if you want the latest version of MS Office, this will probably be the cheapest time to get it - ie as a bundle deal with the PC. If you just wnat something that works with MS files, use Star or Open Office for next to nothing.

Pretty well any PC off the shelf will do what you need - generally all have network cards included now.
Old 20 March 2007, 14:04   #10

Card or no Card

Thanks for the advice so far chaps.

I went on the Dell website and found one for 279 plus VAT. But it didn't specifically say it had a network card nor USB ports. Are these things a given these days on all computers or do you have to ask for one to be put on?
Old 20 March 2007, 14:10   #11
RIBnet supporter

Town: Over there ---->
Length: 3m +
I'd be VERY surprised if you can still get a PC without a USB port...

WRT PC world. I'll buy ancilleries from them and the odd game, but nothing more. I once went into the one in Luton becaues I needed a new PSU. I asked the guy behind the techie counter for an ATX powersupply and he told me they didn't sell that type...
Old 20 March 2007, 20:03   #12

Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Engine: Etec 150
Dell for me. Got one at home, four at work plus a laptop at work which gets bashed around in the garage, and no problems with any of them. As for price - they are a hell of a lot cheaper than anything I've seen on the high street (Dixons etc) or in PC world when I've been over there on holiday!

I won't even be looking at anything else next time around, I will go straight to the Dell website.

I have tried no name "build it in a back room" computers and they are junk, the only ones I have not had trouble with are the brand name ones, I have an AST from 1991, Dad has a Compaq from the same era, both work fine. No use for anything nowadays, but they still work... the "cheap" computers we tried about five years ago lasted 2 years and went phut, never again.

Agreed about upgradeability but who bothers these days? New PCs are so cheap you just go and buy a new one!

Sent from my Computer, using a keyboard and mouse
BogMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2007, 22:25   #13

Town: Portsmouth Harbour
There are loads of really cheap machines on dell outlet at the moment.

In answer to your question, all dell machines come with USB and network on board now. If you are buying from the dell outlet site I would strongly reccommend not getting a machine that has any version of Vista installed. There are very very few programs that are compatabile with it at the moment and the support is protically non existant as well for drivers (how windows talks to the hardware). There fore I would reccommend getting one with XP on, there are a lot of them on there around the £200 mark ex VAT and delivery.

Link to Dell Outlet: http://www1.euro.dell.com/content/pr...=uk&l=en&s=dfh

I have purchased a few machines now from the outlet site, and have been really impressed with them. 2 of the machines have been running 24/7 for nearly 2 years, with no problems what so ever. Also the machines are sooo quiet as well.

Oh and dont touch PC World with a barge pole. They are useless, as codprawn said.

If you need any more info then PM me and ill be happy to help.

Rich

Davies Coaching
laser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2007, 09:18   #14

Thanks Again

Thank you again,

On your advice Laser I have ordered with Dell a basic computer for £292 incl VAT and delivery but get this - I took Laser's advice about not having Vista and asked for it with XP and they said I would have to pay £60 extra to have XP on it. How stupid is that!

So I ordered it with Vista. I only want to run Sage Instant Accounts on it so I hope that runs on Vista if not I'll have to take off Vista and put XP on.
Old 21 March 2007, 17:24   #15

Town: Portsmouth Harbour
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter J View Post
So I ordered it with Vista. I only want to run Sage Instant Accounts on it so I hope that runs on Vista if not I'll have to take off Vista and put XP on.
They are doing this to try to push out the new operating system of vista. Which version of vista is it coming with? Im guessing it will be home basic or home premium.

From looking at the Sage site, it doesnt look like Instant Accounts will run on Vista: http://shop.sage.co.uk/instantaccounts.aspx#btnBuyNow althought they might have a upgreade you can get via their customer support for vista.

Rich

Davies Coaching
laser is offline   Reply With Quote