Old 20 March 2007, 10:10   #11
RIBnet supporter

Town: Over there ---->
Length: 3m +
I'd be VERY surprised if you can still get a PC without a USB port...

WRT PC world. I'll buy ancilleries from them and the odd game, but nothing more. I once went into the one in Luton becaues I needed a new PSU. I asked the guy behind the techie counter for an ATX powersupply and he told me they didn't sell that type...
Old 20 March 2007, 16:03   #12

Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 150
Dell for me. Got one at home, four at work plus a laptop at work which gets bashed around in the garage, and no problems with any of them. As for price - they are a hell of a lot cheaper than anything I've seen on the high street (Dixons etc) or in PC world when I've been over there on holiday!

I won't even be looking at anything else next time around, I will go straight to the Dell website.

I have tried no name "build it in a back room" computers and they are junk, the only ones I have not had trouble with are the brand name ones, I have an AST from 1991, Dad has a Compaq from the same era, both work fine. No use for anything nowadays, but they still work... the "cheap" computers we tried about five years ago lasted 2 years and went phut, never again.

Agreed about upgradeability but who bothers these days? New PCs are so cheap you just go and buy a new one!

Sent from my Computer, using a keyboard and mouse
BogMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2007, 18:25   #13

Town: Portsmouth Harbour
Length: no boat
There are loads of really cheap machines on dell outlet at the moment.

In answer to your question, all dell machines come with USB and network on board now. If you are buying from the dell outlet site I would strongly reccommend not getting a machine that has any version of Vista installed. There are very very few programs that are compatabile with it at the moment and the support is protically non existant as well for drivers (how windows talks to the hardware). There fore I would reccommend getting one with XP on, there are a lot of them on there around the 200 mark ex VAT and delivery.

Link to Dell Outlet: http://www1.euro.dell.com/content/pr...=uk&l=en&s=dfh

I have purchased a few machines now from the outlet site, and have been really impressed with them. 2 of the machines have been running 24/7 for nearly 2 years, with no problems what so ever. Also the machines are sooo quiet as well.

Oh and dont touch PC World with a barge pole. They are useless, as codprawn said.

If you need any more info then PM me and ill be happy to help.

Rich

Davies Coaching
laser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2007, 05:18   #14

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Eighth Child
Make: Rib X
Length: 6m +
Engine: 150 E-Tec
Thanks Again

Thank you again,

On your advice Laser I have ordered with Dell a basic computer for 292 incl VAT and delivery but get this - I took Laser's advice about not having Vista and asked for it with XP and they said I would have to pay 60 extra to have XP on it. How stupid is that!

So I ordered it with Vista. I only want to run Sage Instant Accounts on it so I hope that runs on Vista if not I'll have to take off Vista and put XP on.
Old 21 March 2007, 13:24   #15

Town: Portsmouth Harbour
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter J View Post
So I ordered it with Vista. I only want to run Sage Instant Accounts on it so I hope that runs on Vista if not I'll have to take off Vista and put XP on.
They are doing this to try to push out the new operating system of vista. Which version of vista is it coming with? Im guessing it will be home basic or home premium.

From looking at the Sage site, it doesnt look like Instant Accounts will run on Vista: http://shop.sage.co.uk/instantaccounts.aspx#btnBuyNow althought they might have a upgreade you can get via their customer support for vista.

Rich

Davies Coaching
laser is offline   Reply With Quote