Old 02 February 2007, 20:51   #1

Town: Cork
Boat name: Dalesman
Make: Excalibur 6.8
Length: 6m +
Engine: Merc 1.7 diesel
HELP! I'm Infected !

Any computer buffs out there. My homepage has been hijacked by the page
allsecuritynotes.com/ complete with a bogus microsoft pop up to download (not) . tried changing the homepage in the browser ...no good, cleared temp int files, ran AdAware, ran AVG anti Virus and McAfee anti virus. All coming up clear. The pesky beast is in there somewhere! How do I get it out??? suggestions please
Old 02 February 2007, 22:42   #2
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
You really need to work out what is causing it. Sometimes you can do this by quoting exactly what the fake dialogue box / webpage is saying in google (inside " "). If you look in task manager you can also search google for any applications you aren't sure what they do and see if one of them is known to be a problem.

You could try panda active scan its free to run a system check, and will spot viruses and spyware stuff. The free version will remove most viruses but not spyware. Spyware upgrade is relatively cheap - and worked for me a year ago with similar "hijacked" home page etc.

But its tricky...
Old 02 February 2007, 23:20   #3
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Download HijackThis from Here

Run a scan of your PC with it and copy/paste the results in here. I should be able to tell you what to delete to get rid of the browser hijacker.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 February 2007, 00:12   #4

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Try spybot and use Firfox instead of IE - both free - quicker and easier than trying to find the cause.

http://www.download.com/3000-8022-10122137.html
Old 03 February 2007, 00:19   #5
RIBnet admin team

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
Try spybot and use Firfox instead of IE - both free - quicker and easier than trying to find the cause.

http://www.download.com/3000-8022-10122137.html
Spybot actually seems to be toothless with this one. (it's usually really good).

Old 03 February 2007, 11:33   #6

I've done a system restore to a week ago and everything seems fine now. Is it still in there or has system restore cleared it out. Ad Aware has gone for example (loaded yesterday) or do I need to do more??

Jon
Old 03 February 2007, 13:48   #7
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cork Rib View Post
I've done a system restore to a week ago and everything seems fine now. Is it still in there or has system restore cleared it out. Ad Aware has gone for example (loaded yesterday) or do I need to do more??

Jon
Depends when you caught the "infection" - it might have been sitting dormant for a while anyway. I suspect the files will also still be on your drive somewhere (even if they aren't causing a problem).

Make sure you do a full virus / spyware scan etc.
Old 03 February 2007, 14:09   #8

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
As Matt said, I really would run hijack to see whats running. Post the list of apps running. Once sorted, download the free version of AVG and Zonealarm firewall and that should keep you safe, but you need to certain you have a clean PC as a first step though.

http://www.zonelabs.com/store/conten...try=US&lang=en

Pete
Old 03 February 2007, 15:02   #9

Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: 90hp
Have a look at this

http://www.spynomore.com/aprotectedpage-com.htm. It may help although I am not familiar with this software!

Some trojans / spyware / viruses are very clever at hiding themselves in caches and even tho you appear to have deleted them, they come back. I recall working on one machine that I think I had to delete the windows restore points and disable drive indexing before the trojan eventually was removed.

Good advice on Zone alarm, Firefox and Spybot. You can run a TSR in spybot by the way so it continually monitors your PC (can't check what you have to do to enable this as I had to remove spybot before installing Norton IS).

Good luck!
Old 03 February 2007, 17:17   #10

Ok .....here is the log from Hijack...load of gobledegook to me though

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 18:12:53, on 03/02/2007
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\csrss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\CTsvcCDA.exe
C:\WINDOWS\eHome\ehRecvr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\eHome\ehSched.exe
C:\Program Files\Intel\Intel Matrix Storage Manager\iaantmon.exe
c:\program files\mcafee.com\agent\mcdetect.exe
c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcshield.exe
c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\mctskshd.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VS7Debug\mdm.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee.com\PERSON~1\MpfService.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\SPAMKI~1\MSKSrvr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\ehome\ehtray.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_03\bin\jusched.exe
C:\WINDOWS\stsystra.exe
C:\Program Files\Intel\Intel Matrix Storage Manager\iaanotif.exe
C:\Program Files\Dell\Media Experience\DMXLauncher.exe
C:\Program Files\Creative\SBAudigy\Surround Mixer\CTSysVol.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Rundll32.exe
C:\Program Files\Creative\VoiceCenter\AndreaVC.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\UpdateService\issch.exe
C:\Program Files\McAfee.com\VSO\oasclnt.exe
C:\DOCUME~1\JONMAT~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\clclean.0001
c:\program files\mcafee.com\vso\mcvsshld.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\DLA\DLACTRLW.EXE
c:\progra~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcvsescn.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\SPAMKI~1\MskAgent.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee.com\PERSON~1\MpfTray.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe
C:\Program Files\Picasa2\PicasaMediaDetector.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgcc.exe
C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe
C:\Program Files\Spyware Doctor\sdhelp.exe
C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe
C:\Program Files\Creative\MediaSource\Detector\CTDetect.exe
C:\Program Files\Dell Support\DSAgnt.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\Program Files\Spyware Doctor\swdoctor.exe
C:\Program Files\Dell Network Assistant\ezi_hnm2.exe
C:\Program Files\Dell Network Assistant\ezi_hnm2.exe
C:\WINDOWS\ehome\mcrdsvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Intel\IntelDH\Intel(R) Quick Resume Technology\ELService.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllhost.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Creative Labs Shared\Service\CreativeLicensing.exe
C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
C:\WINDOWS\eHome\ehmsas.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\alg.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee.com\PERSON~1\MpfAgent.exe
c:\program files\mcafee.com\agent\mcagent.exe
C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
c:\progra~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcvsftsn.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
C:\DOCUME~1\JONMAT~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\Temporary Directory 1 for hijackthis.zip\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.google.ie/
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www1.euro.dell.com/content/de...=ie&l=en&s=gen
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Connection Wizard,ShellNext = http://www1.euro.dell.com/content/de...=ie&l=en&s=gen
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: McAfee AntiPhishing Filter - {41D68ED8-4CFF-4115-88A6-6EBB8AF19000} - c:\program files\mcafee\spamkiller\mcapfbho.dll
O2 - BHO: PCTools Site Guard - {5C8B2A36-3DB1-42A4-A3CB-D426709BBFEB} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYWAR~1\tools\iesdsg.dll
O2 - BHO: DriveLetterAccess - {5CA3D70E-1895-11CF-8E15-001234567890} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\DLA\DLASHX_W.DLL
O2 - BHO: PCTools Browser Monitor - {B56A7D7D-6927-48C8-A975-17DF180C71AC} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYWAR~1\tools\iesdpb.dll
O3 - Toolbar: McAfee VirusScan - {BA52B914-B692-46c4-B683-905236F6F655} - c:\progra~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcvsshl.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ehTray] C:\WINDOWS\ehome\ehtray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\system32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_03\bin\jusched.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SigmatelSysTrayApp] stsystra.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IAAnotif] C:\Program Files\Intel\Intel Matrix Storage Manager\iaanotif.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DMXLauncher] C:\Program Files\Dell\Media Experience\DMXLauncher.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CTSysVol] C:\Program Files\Creative\SBAudigy\Surround Mixer\CTSysVol.exe /r
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MBMon] Rundll32 CTMBHA.DLL,MBMon
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [UpdReg] C:\WINDOWS\UpdReg.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [VoiceCenter] "C:\Program Files\Creative\VoiceCenter\AndreaVC.exe" /tray
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ISUSPM Startup] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\UpdateService\isuspm.exe" -startup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ISUSScheduler] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\UpdateService\issch.exe" -start
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [VSOCheckTask] "C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee.com\VSO\mcmnhdlr.exe" /checktask
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [OASClnt] C:\Program Files\McAfee.com\VSO\oasclnt.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MCAgentExe] c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\mcagent.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MCUpdateExe] c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\mcupdate.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MSKDetectorExe] C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\SPAMKI~1\MSKDetct.exe /startup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DLA] C:\WINDOWS\System32\DLA\DLACTRLW.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MSKAGENTEXE] C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\SPAMKI~1\MskAgent.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [VirusScan Online] C:\Program Files\McAfee.com\VSO\mcvsshld.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MPFExe] C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee.com\PERSON~1\MpfTray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [EPSON Stylus Photo R300 Series] C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\DRIVERS\W32X86\3\E_S4I0F 2.EXE /P30 "EPSON Stylus Photo R300 Series" /O5 "LPT1:" /M "Stylus Photo R300"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [UIUCU] C:\DOCUME~1\JONMAT~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\UIUCU.EXE -CLEAN_UP -S
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Picasa Media Detector] C:\Program Files\Picasa2\PicasaMediaDetector.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_CC] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgcc.exe /STARTUP
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iTunesHelper] "C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [SetDefaultMIDI] MIDIDef.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Creative Detector] "C:\Program Files\Creative\MediaSource\Detector\CTDetect.exe" /R
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [DellSupport] "C:\Program Files\Dell Support\DSAgnt.exe" /startup
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Spyware Doctor] "C:\Program Files\Spyware Doctor\swdoctor.exe" /Q
O4 - Global Startup: Dell Network Assistant.lnk = ?
O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\OSA.EXE
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_03\bin\npjpi142_03.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_03\bin\npjpi142_03.dll
O9 - Extra button: Spyware Doctor - {2D663D1A-8670-49D9-A1A5-4C56B4E14E84} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYWAR~1\tools\iesdpb.dll
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {39FD89BF-D3F1-45b6-BB56-3582CCF489E1} - c:\program files\mcafee\spamkiller\mcapfbho.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: McAfee AntiPhishing Filter - {39FD89BF-D3F1-45b6-BB56-3582CCF489E1} - c:\program files\mcafee\spamkiller\mcapfbho.dll
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O16 - DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} (WUWebControl Class) - http://update.microsoft.com/windowsu...?1156605033833
O21 - SSODL: WPDShServiceObj - {AAA288BA-9A4C-45B0-95D7-94D524869DB5} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\WPDShServiceObj.dll
O23 - Service: AVG7 Alert Manager Server (Avg7Alrt) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe
O23 - Service: AVG7 Update Service (Avg7UpdSvc) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe
O23 - Service: Creative Labs Licensing Service - Creative Labs - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Creative Labs Shared\Service\CreativeLicensing.exe
O23 - Service: Creative Service for CDROM Access - Creative Technology Ltd - C:\WINDOWS\system32\CTsvcCDA.exe
O23 - Service: Intel® Quick Resume Technology Drivers (ELService) - Intel Corporation - C:\Program Files\Intel\IntelDH\Intel(R) Quick Resume Technology\ELService.exe
O23 - Service: Google Updater Service (gusvc) - Google - C:\Program Files\Google\Common\Google Updater\GoogleUpdaterService.exe
O23 - Service: Intel(R) Matrix Storage Event Monitor (IAANTMon) - Intel Corporation - C:\Program Files\Intel\Intel Matrix Storage Manager\iaantmon.exe
O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\11\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe
O23 - Service: iPod Service - Apple Computer, Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee WSC Integration (McDetect.exe) - McAfee, Inc - c:\program files\mcafee.com\agent\mcdetect.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee.com McShield (McShield) - McAfee Inc. - c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcshield.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee Task Scheduler (McTskshd.exe) - McAfee, Inc - c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\mctskshd.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee SecurityCenter Update Manager (mcupdmgr.exe) - McAfee, Inc - C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee.com\Agent\mcupdmgr.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee Personal Firewall Service (MpfService) - McAfee Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee.com\PERSON~1\MpfService.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee SpamKiller Server (MskService) - McAfee Inc. - C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\SPAMKI~1\MSKSrvr.exe
O23 - Service: Intel NCS NetService (NetSvc) - Intel(R) Corporation - C:\Program Files\Intel\PROSetWired\NCS\Sync\NetSvc.exe
O23 - Service: NVIDIA Display Driver Service (NVSvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe
O23 - Service: PC Tools Spyware Doctor (SDhelper) - PC Tools Research Pty Ltd - C:\Program Files\Spyware Doctor\sdhelp.exe
Old 04 February 2007, 08:13   #11
RIBnet admin team

RIBase
I can't see anything obviously wrong there.

If that's after you ran system restore then I THINK you're ok though if anyone else knows better please speak up as I'm not an expert.

Old 04 February 2007, 15:01   #12

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Agree with Matt, but you have all awful lot of programs running. Do you need I Tunes, Messenger, google updater and McAfee ? You might want to have a look in "control panel" "add remove programs" for anything you don't need and uninstall it.

I currently have 5 entries in the hijack list for the PC and a few more on the laptop.

Pete
Old 04 February 2007, 15:52   #13

Town: NIVELLES BELGIUM
Boat name: INDEPENDENT
Make: BWM RAPIER
Engine: Ob 2*250/2t yams hpd
MMSI: 235030702
save all impotant info and RE FORMAT and install a fresh copy of XP.
Its dramatic but is somertimes the only way...

Jonathan
Old 04 February 2007, 16:59   #14
DJL

Make: Ribcraft 6.5
Engine: Suzuki DF175TG
I concur with Matt and Pete, the list of programs looks clean, although you have a lot running.

I’d start buy getting rid of one of the virus scanners, just keep one and make sure its updated regularly. Also make sure Windows is fully up to date - make sure you’re using Microsoft Update and not Windows Update, there's a link on the Windows Update site.

Are you using Windows Media Centre? If not you could disable all its services.

Also make sure when you run a full system virus scan, that its set to scan all files, including inside compressed files.
Old 04 February 2007, 18:13   #15

Thanks everybody for your help. I can rest easy now.

regards

jon