Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 07 September 2010, 12:40   #1
Member
 
Maximus's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,272
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Help for Heroes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian M View Post
My crewman for this event has just had to pull out, due to work commitments. Is there anyone who fancies a day out on the water I suspect it might be a long day, but worth it given the good cause.
Funny how things work out....As you probaly know Taunton is the Home Base for '40' Commando,this very afternoon I bought a T-SHIRT from an Ex Marine mate of mine in support of 'The boys'...and more important the Wounded,(Of which there are many)and Berieved famielys.
According to HIM many of the Marines are circumventing the' Help for heroes' charity as only 30% of ANY AND ALL money raised gets to the needy!!! Indeed, I myself have seen private collections around the town for individual familys over the past couple of years,and this I'm told is for the same the reason!
My Brother in law works for the Charity commission,and I will raise it with him later.
It may be a sad reflection on society today,and I only have word of mouth,but I thought maybe other members,especialy those thinking of fund raiseing would be interested to hear about this. Does anyone know any more on this subject?
__________________

__________________
A clever Man learns by his mistakes..
A Wise Man learns by other people's!

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 September 2010, 08:57   #2
Member
 
Cookee's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Salcombe, Devon, UK
Boat name: BananaShark
Make: BananaShark
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2xYanmar 260 diesels
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 4,225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
Funny how things work out....As you probaly know Taunton is the Home Base for '40' Commando,this very afternoon I bought a T-SHIRT from an Ex Marine mate of mine in support of 'The boys'...and more important the Wounded,(Of which there are many)and Berieved famielys.
According to HIM many of the Marines are circumventing the' Help for heroes' charity as only 30% of ANY AND ALL money raised gets to the needy!!! Indeed, I myself have seen private collections around the town for individual familys over the past couple of years,and this I'm told is for the same the reason!
My Brother in law works for the Charity commission,and I will raise it with him later.
It may be a sad reflection on society today,and I only have word of mouth,but I thought maybe other members,especialy those thinking of fund raiseing would be interested to hear about this. Does anyone know any more on this subject?
I think I have heard this about many of the bigger charities - the problem is that many of these stories have no basis of fact and are just hearsay. The other way of looking at this is that it is still 30% of a lot of money rather than 95% of very little.

Of course I would want to have 100% of my money going to a just cause, but happily I don't have any personal connection with anyone that would benefit directly so Help For Heroes has already had some of my money and will continue to do so until the charity is exposed as keeping 70% of my cash in public rather than rumour.
__________________

__________________
Cookee
Originally Posted by Zippy
When a boat looks that good who needs tubes!!!
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 September 2010, 13:45   #3
Administrator
 
John Kennett's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Join Date: May 2000
Posts: 6,830
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
only 30% of ANY AND ALL money raised gets to the needy!!!
Do you know where that figure comes from? Looking at the Charities Commission web site it would seem that over 90% of their spending goes on charitable activities. This compares well to some bigger charities where the figure is less than 80%.
__________________
John Kennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 September 2010, 16:31   #4
RIBnet admin team
 
Poly's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 10,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kennett View Post
Do you know where that figure comes from? Looking at the Charities Commission web site it would seem that over 90% of their spending goes on charitable activities. This compares well to some bigger charities where the figure is less than 80%.
Having just had a trawl round the H4H website, I think I may know where the disparity is coming from. The charity set up a company (Help 4 Heroes Trading Ltd - H4HTL) [which is a completely normal course of action for charities - and relates to charity law]. H4HTL sells merchandise including t-shirts, calendars etc (3.8M t/o). The profits from H4HTL go to the H4H charity (2.1M t/o). The charity claims that the profits from the trading company covered all their core operating costs (2.7M) last year - therefore the TRADING ARM contributed a surplus, after covering ALL of the overheads (not just those from trading) of about 30% of turnover. Most charities can only dream about that.

If you put a pound in a collecting tin or sponsor someone for an event - the whole pound goes to the beneficiaries because the 'business' side makes enough from merchandise etc.
__________________
Poly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 September 2010, 16:46   #5
RIBnet supporter
 
Ian M's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: New Milton
Boat name: Jianna
Make: Osprey
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200 E-TEC
MMSI: 235076954
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 1,933
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
Having just had a trawl round the H4H website, I think I may know where the disparity is coming from. The charity set up a company (Help 4 Heroes Trading Ltd - H4HTL) [which is a completely normal course of action for charities - and relates to charity law]. H4HTL sells merchandise including t-shirts, calendars etc (3.8M t/o). The profits from H4HTL go to the H4H charity (2.1M t/o). The charity claims that the profits from the trading company covered all their core operating costs (2.7M) last year - therefore the TRADING ARM contributed a surplus, after covering ALL of the overheads (not just those from trading) of about 30% of turnover. Most charities can only dream about that.

If you put a pound in a collecting tin or sponsor someone for an event - the whole pound goes to the beneficiaries because the 'business' side makes enough from merchandise etc.
Phew, well do you think they might cough up for my fuel then
__________________
Ian

Dust creation specialist
Ian M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2010, 16:11   #6
Member
 
Maximus's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,272
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Local Charity for 40 Commando

Haveing done a little research,it seems Polwart was pretty much on the money
For anyone interested in an alternitive, there is a local Charity for 40 Commando called 'Help 4 Forty' where ALL moneys collected gets to the needy,pretty much because the few people involved give thier time ect for free.If you go onto 'Facebook' there are more details.
In the final analysis, I think you would agree, anything that raises the profile of our Armed service's commitment and sacrifice[Regardless of your Politics] is a good thing!
__________________
A clever Man learns by his mistakes..
A Wise Man learns by other people's!

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2010, 07:42   #7
Administrator
 
John Kennett's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Join Date: May 2000
Posts: 6,830
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterM View Post
I honestly dont think there can be much better cause ......
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
In the final analysis, I think you would agree, anything that raises the profile of our Armed service's commitment and sacrifice[Regardless of your Politics] is a good thing!
Help for Heroes is certainly a high profile charity at the moment, and it sounds like they're doing a great job. They come some way down my list of good causes though.

I've just set up a standing order with Medecins sans Frontiers instead.
__________________
John Kennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2010, 13:15   #8
Member
 
Maximus's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,272
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kennett View Post
Help for Heroes is certainly a high profile charity at the moment, and it sounds like they're doing a great job. They come some way down my list of good causes though.

I've just set up a standing order with Medecins sans Frontiers instead.
A worthy cause as well, I'm sure!Its a case of ''Diffrent strokes......and we ALL have to prioritise in these chasened times.
__________________

__________________
A clever Man learns by his mistakes..
A Wise Man learns by other people's!

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 13:58.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.