Old 10 April 2009, 07:44   #21

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
yes but I'm not sure what point you were trying to make. Are you trying to argue that modern medicine/midwifery (post antibiotics, c-section, forceps/ventuce etc) does not make labour safer - or are you arguing that the "noise" on the graph is significant? headline grabbing statistics "worst in 20 years" - the last 20 years has been the safest 2 decades in the last 2000!
I'm sure everyone would comend the great strides made in medical science in the last 100 years, especialy where infant mortality is concerned! The point I was makeing[flippently] is where does the 'Super Politicly correct' attitude towards health safety finaly lead us?
Life is Risky,and you cannot legislate against every contingancey[although this government is having a good go!]far better in my opinion, to engender a level of self reliance and questioning common- sence in our young people so they can be better equiped to make thier own judgements.
When you see the Russian government createing military style training camps for their teenage children to attend in the long summer holidays[one of Putins initiatives]and the Chinese,teaching vast numbers of thier children how to use a '50 cal' machine gun as a tool against 'Enemy Parashutists'...... Contast that ,with local authorities in THIS country who have outlawed 'CONKERS' on 'Health and safety grounds' and you may begin wonder where it will end! The results so far speak for themselves!
And befor anyone has a nibble no one is advocateing a return to small boys up chimneys,or seven year olds in cotton mills!Just some sensible government!...Fingers crossed.
Old 10 April 2009, 17:43   #22
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
...Contast that ,with local authorities in THIS country who have outlawed 'CONKERS' on 'Health and safety grounds' and you may begin wonder where it will end!
http://www.hse.gov.uk/myth/september.pdf
http://www.iosh.co.uk/index.cfm?go=conkers.main
Old 10 April 2009, 17:49   #23
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
The point I was trying to make is that nothing will ever be 100% safe - sometimes people take things for granted too much.
sorry I thought you were arguing with Mollers post - which would have been a shame since it was one of the smartest things he's said here for a while
Old 10 April 2009, 18:10   #24

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
Quote:
sorry I thought you were arguing with Mollers post - which would have been a shame since it was one of the smartest things he's said here for a while
Eh, watch it. I find myself rather worryingly 'concurring' with some of your posts recently.
Old 10 April 2009, 18:55   #25

Sorry Polwart hoisted by your own petard! Some ''well meaning heads HAVE banned Conkers on saftey grounds''My daughter and sister[deputy head] are both Teachers and I have talked at length with them on this subgect,while I admit most schools permit some'' semi perilous''passtimes like our beloved Conkers....an increaseing number of schools deem it expediant to jump on the 'BAN-WAGON'! Saftey policy is largely at the discresion of the Head,and many schools Have banned this as well as Skipping,British Bulldogs,Chase,even school outings,and after schooll activities ect,not to mention some banning all competative sports altogether!This in a climate of childhood obesity,which experts say is reaching epidemic proportions.The British army fitness test has been lowered no less than four times in as many years,just to accomodate the low fitness levels of recruits so not to discourage applications.
If this is the type of education you would like for your children,fine.But not me!
Old 10 April 2009, 19:18   #26
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
Sorry Polwart hoisted by your own petard! Some ''well meaning heads HAVE banned Conkers on saftey grounds''My daughter and sister[deputy head] are both Teachers and I have talked at length with them on this subgect,while I admit most schools permit some'' semi perilous''passtimes like our beloved Conkers....an increaseing number of schools deem it expediant to jump on the 'BAN-WAGON'! Saftey policy is largely at the discresion of the Head,and many schools Have banned this as well as Skipping,British Bulldogs,Chase,even school outings,and after schooll activities ect,not to mention some banning all competative sports altogether!This in a climate of childhood obesity,which experts say is reaching epidemic proportions.The British army fitness test has been lowered no less than four times in as many years,just to accomodate the low fitness levels of recruits so not to discourage applications.
If this is the type of education you would like for your children,fine.But not me!
Well I've now provided you with the evidence from the HSE/HSC and IOSH to address the issues with those you have a problem with instead of ranting here. I have no problems with my children's school but if I did I would go and discuss it with them (and if necessary the Council) and they know that. You really think those things are banned for H&S reasons and not because its easy to say H&S is the excuse when other reasons, such as teacher apathy are the cause [and/or lack of interest from parents who used to get involved with extra curricular stuff] ? Why then do other teachers in other schools find ways round the rules?

Personally I don't see my children's education as the 100% responsibility of the school and so if there is part of their wider education or lifestyle like this that is not getting addressed at school then I am quite happy to ensure it gets addressed myself - either by getting involved with the school or on my own. However if my child leaves school unable to spell safety, subject pastimes, increasing, expedient, discretion, school, competitive and accommodate then I'll certainly be having words with the teachers suggesting maybe they spent too much time playing conkers and skipping!
Old 10 April 2009, 19:56   #27

Good man!alot more like sence.As for adressing those who can make a change... ha!I learnt long ago [as indeed it sounds you may have ] to take charge of my own famileys moral compass instead of leaveing it to others! And indeed thier educational welfair too,with two post graduates,and a son running his own succesfull buisness'I[with the help of my wife] like to think I did a fair job.I just hope for the sake of the nation,the pendulem of 'P.C' Nanny state 'H and S'not to mention intrusive and survelance government swings back to some sort of commonesnce values.
As for ranting,no, just an opinion, which you are free to agree with or disregard,that is the nature of forums like this,I for one am always open to persuasive argument,and remember I was responding to YOUR post ,which in turn was your opinion.
In closeing ,Happy boating in the comeing season,and best wishes to you and your family!
Old 10 April 2009, 20:00   #28
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollers View Post
Eh, watch it. I find myself rather worryingly 'concurring' with some of your posts recently.
don't worry codders was agreeing with me the other week - it seems to be just a passing "thing" you'll get over quick enough!
Old 10 April 2009, 22:39   #29

Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
While all this chit chat is very well, we're getting away from the main theme of the thread:
The Lion was not wearing a helmet!
Old 10 April 2009, 23:09   #30

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Downhilldai View Post
While all this chit chat is very well, we're getting away from the main theme of the thread:
The Lion was not wearing a helmet!
Nor a seatbelt - and I bet he was drunk!!!
Old 11 April 2009, 05:48   #31
RIBnet supporter

Town: Rutland
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
and I bet he was drunk!!!
Who Mollers, Maximat or Polwart
Old 11 April 2009, 09:12   #32

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
Quote:
Well I've now provided you with the evidence from the HSE/HSC and IOSH to address the issues with those you have a problem with instead of ranting here...........
I don't think he even felt the rush of air as this bit shot over his head.
Old 11 April 2009, 09:25   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollers View Post
I don't think he even felt the rush of air as this bit shot over his head.
What a charmer,but not quite up[or down] to the level we're all used too.....'All good fun though'