Boat name: Impulse
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by longjohn View Post
Mine's bigger than yours nah nah !
I've got a 27 incher
I got told by the mrs I didn't need one that big as it would be sat in my home office where I already have two dell wide screens for my work laptop........ I need a bigger desk!
Old 10 December 2012, 18:08   #23

Town: LONDON
Make: SR4/ZODIAC/3D
Length: 4m +
Engine: 30T/40T
For what it's worth........get a Mac. If you go to an Apple store or third party shop like Curry's/PC Warehouse Apple dept. (they have their own Apple assistants ) the level of service and simple language is on a different planet.
For ease of use the Apple system is a no brainer next to PC.
Supplier backup and service is something that you don't generally expect in the UK.
The Macs are upgradeable and future proof........any extra cost now will be saved later.
Get any Mac laptop or desktop and you'll be over the moon. Get a terabyte or two of hard-drive and you're sorted for life.
The included iMovie software is actually good enough for pro shoots.
The are robust physically and are designed for pro use as are the aftermarket bits for them........properly real world designs not flaky tat to blow your money on.
Macs are logical in their usage and the op system fully integrated and totally intuitive.
They are biased towards the art industry and not the nerdy business end..........so they need to be easy to use by default!!!!
Their retina displays are the best and the computers are designed to be used on location so are substantial enough to cope with a bit of misuse.
Sound quality is great too and they look better.
Old 10 December 2012, 18:15   #24

Town: west mids /tywyn
Boat name: HAWK
Make: RIBCRAFT/ Suzuki 250
Length: 7m +
Engine: Tohatsu 3.8/15hpsuzi
MMSI: 235086594
Quote:
Originally Posted by mister p View Post
For what it's worth........get a Mac. If you go to an Apple store or third party shop like Curry's/PC Warehouse Apple dept. (they have their own Apple assistants ) the level of service and simple language is on a different planet.
Supplier backup and service is something that you don't generally expect in the UK.
The Macs are upgradeable and future proof........any extra cost now will be saved later.
Get any Mac laptop or desktop and you'll be over the moon. Get a terabyte or two of hard-drive and you're sorted for life.
The are robust physically and are designed for pro use as are the aftermarket bits for them........properly real world designs not flaky tat to blow your money on.
Macs are logical in their usage and the op system fully integrated and totally intuitive.
They are biased towards to art industry and not the nerdy business end..........so they need to be easy to use by default!!!!
Their retina displays are the best and the computers are designed to be used on location so are substantial enough to cope with a bit of misuse.
I agree with all what Mr P says Macs are the dogs bo****ks .... So are land rovers
B.S. LEADER
tony t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2012, 18:57   #25
AJ.
RIBnet supporter

Town: Warwickshire
Boat name: Impulse
Engine: Suzuki 140
TonyT I thought you had logged off for the year! Are the withdrawal symptoms too much u need a quick fix!
Old 10 December 2012, 19:53   #26

Make: Zodiac Mk I
Length: 3m +
Engine: 15 hp Yam two stroke
Quote:
Originally Posted by clydeoutboards View Post
Hi

windows 7 and 8 is 64 bit so the memory issue is just a scare. if all you are doing is video and graphics macs are best but remember most of the world and other devices use windows and they are v v different.

If its for general use + video editing then its a PC or laptop.

Next memory is v v cheap. check for your self and look at how much an extra 2 or 4gb will cost you so dont be put off by buying a machine that has 4 or 6 Gb of memory.

something like this is fine:

if you dont have windows HP Pavilion G6-1344sa 15.6" Laptop - Intel i5-2450M 6GB 750GB HDD HDMI DVDRW W7 | eBay

as for i7 the extra money is not worth the extra power in percentage terms so unless you are doing loads and load of it then a few seconds wait will save a few hundred pounds.

Oh and before someone goes on about hard drive size you would get around 250-300 films on the disks of the above and your other applications and I dont think you will be making that many 1.5 hour films! yes you will have other stuff as well but please come back to me when you are even 50% full as hard disks are getting cheaper every day and it will take you a good time to fill the ones in the links above up!

Dave

Ps I only have 20 years IT industry working for resellers infrastructure i.e. pc's , servers etc.
+1
Old 10 December 2012, 19:57   #27

Town: Ashton-under-Lyne Lancs
Boat name: IMOGEN
Make: Air-Craft 5.4
Engine: Suzuki df70a
MMSI: 235087492
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to kerny
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ. View Post
TonyT I thought you had logged off for the year! Are the withdrawal symptoms too much u need a quick fix!
He's either telling fibs or he found his rubber comforter somewhere in Scotland.
Old 11 December 2012, 06:34   #28

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: snagglepuss
Make: Shetland
Length: 6m +
Engine: 90 hp Outboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by mister p View Post
They are biased towards the art industry and not the nerdy business end..........so they need to be easy to use by default!!!!

he is not a full time graphic designer. he does not need a terabyte of hard disk and even saying that he needs half of that would be like saying he needs 10 lorries to carry is lunch to work.

as for ease of use. how many people use a pc to a mac!!!! the number is not even close as the latest report says 17 -1. that means in simple terms for every mac user 17 other people can use a pc and yet you say its hard to use.

oh and the spec of the laptop I gave works well enough for me and I edit HD video for 1 hour per week and unless that became over 20 or so hours I will not be changing and mine cost £320.00 delivered.

As for upgrades. there are 1000's of component shops in the uk and hundreds on line and v easy to do so again your comment about pc's not being future proof sorry is rubbish.

as for how robust they are. again 17:1 ! so if the mac was that good and great value and that robust and easy to upgrade why is that figure so huge of pc users compared to pc.

as for screens well if they are good enough for over 94% of people then they are good enough for me.

last but not least why spend silly money when a laptop or pc will do the job fine for under £400.

There is far to much over selling of IT and is a real shame as people are getting ripped of every day and buying £1000 laptops and macs when they are simply not needed.

Dave
Old 11 December 2012, 06:37   #29

Town: Sheepy Parva
Boat name: Sadly Sold
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by clydeoutboards View Post
There is far to much over selling of IT and is a real shame as people are getting ripped of every day and buying £1000 laptops and macs when they are simply not needed
IT, boats, cars, houses, holidays, toys ... and everything else you can think of.

Thank goodness for choice and each to their own.
Old 11 December 2012, 07:51   #30
RIBnet supporter

Town: Poole
Boat name: Black Adder+BabyBlue
Make: Shearwater + Avon
Length: 8m +
Engine: TDi Diesel + Merc 60
MMSI: 235026679
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterM View Post
Confusion is approaching ( if not already here...)
Just to add more variation to what to consider...
If it's mainly for editing boating, skiing, waterskiing videos etc, don't forget anything over about 5 mins long gets tedious to watch, so your files won't be as big as if you are doing hours of full motion pictures!
It took me hours of cutting to get a week's skiing down to just 15 minutes of video - and the once a year I'm likely to do that length of watchable footage wouldn't justify a high cost machine (PC or MAC)

Also - if you go for a MAC and you're likely to want to run non-mainstream programs on it (like C-map's PC Planner navigation software) - you may find it's only available for PC's.
Trev
Old 11 December 2012, 08:04   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor G View Post
Just to add more variation to what to consider...
If it's mainly for editing boating, skiing, waterskiing videos etc, don't forget anything over about 5 mins long gets tedious to watch, so your files won't be as big as if you are doing hours of full motion pictures!
It took me hours of cutting to get a week's skiing down to just 15 minutes of video - and the once a year I'm likely to do that length of watchable footage wouldn't justify a high cost machine (PC or MAC)

Also - if you go for a MAC and you're likely to want to run non-mainstream programs on it (like C-map's PC Planner navigation software) - you may find it's only available for PC's.
Trev
The only thing more tedious than your own holiday vid's is someone else's.

Don't know about C-map but Garmin HomePort is Mac compatible.
Old 11 December 2012, 08:33   #32

Town: Southampton
Make: Ballistic
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 225
agree with Clyde

the mac crowd seem to me to over-hype their brand, always have, always will i guess.

Don't get me wrong, they make good kit, but its not the silver bullet some would have you believe, even if they charge solid silver prices for the gear.

As noted below both apple and windows use I5/I7 processors (same HD same ram), apart from the fancy casing and more sleek overall design of the mac casing the internals are almost identical, so we are discussing he operating system only.
I know a few people(arty farty types) who buy macs for the appearance, then wipe the hard drive and install windows.

If you have the money to burn go for it, but don't be fooled by the hype
Old 11 December 2012, 09:20   #33

Town: Surrey
Boat name: Fugly & Rokraider 1
Make: Pac 22 & Porter 6.5
Length: 6m +
Engine: Ford 250 & jet,DT140
I use Macs and Pc's for my business and Macs for my personal stuff at home. I have a number of Macs of varying ages. I prefer the Macs for their operating system, abilities as well as backup and design. The operating system seems more logical to use than PC software.
I seldom have problems with the Macs, but nearly always have a problem if I put additional software on the PC's, 9 times out of 10 there seems to be a conflict somewhere or the software requires patches to make it work and I end up spending ages trying to get everything to work again. Don't normally have these problems with Macs. The comment about Macs being future proof is not accurate. The latest software does not always work properly on the older machines / operating systems.
I reckon the average Macs usable life if you want to keep with the latest software is around 8-10 years.

Macs get my vote over a PC everytime.
Old 11 December 2012, 09:22   #34

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starovich View Post
agree with Clyde

I know a few people(arty farty types) who buy macs for the appearance, then wipe the hard drive and install windows.

If you have the money to burn go for it, but don't be fooled by the hype
As already said, the missus has a top end Mac Book Pro, it came with the job & she didn't have any choice in the matter. Fortunately (ish) you can boot it into windows7 using bootcamp & use it as a PC, or at least you could if the feckin thing had a proper right click instead of having to remember the secret 3 fingered gesture. It's like trying to get into the Masons just to highlight, cut & paste on the fecker. And dont get me started about the fan noise & the heat, you could fry an egg on the underside, literally..............but it looks nice
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2012, 09:27   #35

Town: jersey
Boat name: Martini II
Make: Arctic 28/FC470
Length: 8m +
Engine: twin 225Opti/50hp 2t
MMSI: 235067688
I made the switch to apple a couple of years ago with a MacBook Pro, certainly won't be going back.

Fan noise and heat are negligible compared to my old laptop

Sent from my portable speaking device using Rib.net
Old 11 December 2012, 09:56   #36

RIBase
It's a Marmite jobby
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Old 11 December 2012, 10:03   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
It's a Marmite jobby
Absolutely, it is. As I said earlier, it's all about choice and each to their own.

Next thing you know we'll be talking 2st v 4st, LR v Nissan Patrol, everybody's RIB v everybody else's RIB ...

By the way, I think Marmite is great
Old 11 December 2012, 10:06   #38

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
So to clarify - the message I'm hearing is ;

Macs are good (for a purpose) but potentialy for me may not be worth the extra cost. I dont run Nav software - just the usual work stuff anyhow.

A super massive memory may not be needed as I'm making Ben Hur...

A decent laptop with 8Gb Ram will be fine and as fast a processor as possible will work OK.

I'm not too worried about screen size of the super duper resolution of the latest Macs.

I have no idea what I5/I7 are ....but work on the assumption the higher the number the 'better' ?

Best get over to John Lewis now .

I think a Windows Laptop is the way forward.....

( 2 strokes are better, but I love 4 strokes , LR have a place in my heart but I drive a Korean car and everyone elses RIB is better than mine)
Old 11 December 2012, 10:11   #39

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterM View Post
So to clarify - the message I'm hearing is ;

Macs are good (for a purpose) but potentialy for me may not be worth the extra cost. I dont run Nav software - just the usual work stuff anyhow.

A super massive memory may not be needed as I'm making Ben Hur...

A decent laptop with 8Gb Ram will be fine and as fast a processor as possible will work OK.

I'm not too worried about screen size of the super duper resolution of the latest Macs.

I have no idea what I5/I7 are ....but work on the assumption the higher the number the 'better' ?

Best get over to John Lewis now .

I think a Windows Laptop is the way forward.....

( 2 strokes are better, but I love 4 strokes , LR have a place in my heart but I drive a Korean car and everyone elses RIB is better than mine)
But do you like Marmite?
Old 11 December 2012, 10:13   #40

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
But do you like Marmite?
Yes - there is no other realistic option - but is there i-marmite yet ...if there is I MUST have it