Old 04 November 2004, 18:34   #1

Town: Chichester
Length: no boat
GRRrrrrrrrr

Slightly off topic but I need to vent my annoyance. I bought a second hand land rover discovery 6 months ago from a well known dealer in West Sussex, he told me it came with a 6 month parts and labour warranty. When I bought it he said he would send the warranty policy and it never arrived despite a few reminders by phone, almost as soon as I took delivery of the disco I found that the gearbox had a problem with establishing second gear so I took it back to him for repair, he took it and said he fixed and then about twenty miles down the road the problem reoccurred so I took it back to him and he said he would have another look. I spoke to him last week and he said they where having to strip a part down and get a few spares and it would not be ready till today. So I called this morning and to my despair he tells me that he did not submit a warranty application and that I was not covered, despite the fact he admitted this, he has continued to request that I make a payment of £375 towards the work carried out and as soon as I protest he say that he is legally entitled to hold on to the car until I pay, secondly he has made threats to keep me a bay that he would be within his rights to hold the car unless I pay the full repair bill of £1500!! I am faced with £375 which I will pay as I need the car otherwise I cannot work and I pretty broke as it is but it seems like blackmail to me. Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions? Trading Standards have not really helped by saying it is his word against mine despite the fact he admits responsibility for not submitting the warranty. If anyone needs any RIB related work doing I am as I am going to be very skint for a month or two
Old 04 November 2004, 19:23   #2

Town: Torrance
Talk to a solicitor! Try the Retail Motor Federation and any other industy body he belongs to and to Land Rover if he is a 'proper' dealer.

Oh and out of spite I d pay him with 37500 pennies!
Old 04 November 2004, 19:26   #3

Town: Cippenham, Berkshire
Boat name: Falcon1
Make: Falcon
Length: 6m +
Engine: 115 hp Mariner Four
MMSI: 235021077
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDGANDER
Talk to a solicitor! Try the Retail Motor Federation and any other industy body he belongs to and to Land Rover if he is a 'proper' dealer.

Oh and out of spite I d pay him with 37500 pennies!
Good advice and I like your idea of handing over the pennies

Good luck, I hope you get it sorted soon.

Kim
Old 04 November 2004, 19:35   #4
DJL

Make: Ribcraft 6.5
Engine: Suzuki DF175TG
This sounds dodgy to me....

You need to get some legal advice and do it before you pay anything. Check any insurance policies you have, they may have legal advice helplines. If not the AA have one: 0906 66 10 888 (premium-rate service - £1.50 a minute. Calls average around six minutes, 8am-8pm), might be expensive but could save you a lot more.

Good luck.
Old 04 November 2004, 21:49   #5

Town: Nutbourne
Boat name: Renegade
Make: Porter
Engine: 140 Tohatsu
MMSI: 235022904
Stephen

Are we talking Main Dealer or Independant?

I seem to remember that there was a well known problem with some disco boxes. I also recall that there was no effective repair. If I am correct, be prepared to jump all over the dealer with your diving boots on, 'cos he wiil not have fixed it. Get an itemised invoice, so you can prove what was done.
AND ask that all defective parts, that were replaced, be returned with the vehicle. DO NOT take "no" for an answer on this, make 'em dig around in the scrap bin.
Old 05 November 2004, 09:05   #6

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Length: 8m +
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
I'd talk to the Trading standards epartment in your town as well. depending on how soon the fault occured after purchase and unless the vehicle was sold as seen it may be down to the dealer!
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 November 2004, 09:45   #7

Town: Salcombe, Devon, UK
Boat name: BananaShark
Make: BananaShark
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2xYanmar 260 diesels
Pennies are only legal tender up to a total of a fiver - don't ask how I know ...........................
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 November 2004, 11:06   #8

Town: Blandford / London
Boat name: Top Cat
Make: Scorpion 8.1
Length: 8m +
Engine: Yamaha F225
MMSI: 235020739
There is indeed a ‘well-known’ problem with some Land Rover gearboxes, particular the R380, I found this out the hard way too. I had to have the gearbox in my 90 replaced. I was told that the problem is that the bearing at the end of the main shaft is starved of oil and wears out prematurely causing it to get progressively noisier. I had mine replaced with a recondition ‘box that has apparently had grove machined into the main shaft to allow oil to the bearing, I only have the mechanics work for this as I did not actually do the work. The noise was dramatically reduced.

I believe that you can tell if yours is an R380, if reverse is below 5th ie next to your left need. If it is not and still a five speed it is probably LT77 which I don’t believe suffered with this problem.

Hope you reach a satisfactory out come with the garage, sounds like he is either incompetent or a low life. Good luck.
Old 05 November 2004, 15:30   #9

Town: Chichester
Reeesult!!!!!!!

Phoned the garage up to ask whether it was ready to pick up, me and my dad drove up there with an envelope stuffed full of purple beer vouchers. Got to the office and was met by a young lad about my age who gave me the keys and said your car is parked there. I turned around and whispered to my Dad "lets get out of here" got in my car a ragged it back home, car fixed and running nicely, I still have my envelope of cash and I bet the guy who gave my car back getting a right bollocking from his fat boss!

So, thanks to everyone that helped me with this one, you are a good bunch.
Old 05 November 2004, 20:49   #10

Town: Cippenham, Berkshire
Boat name: Falcon1
Make: Falcon
Engine: 115 hp Mariner Four
MMSI: 235021077
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen-RIB
Phoned the garage up to ask whether it was ready to pick up, me and my dad drove up there with an envelope stuffed full of purple beer vouchers. Got to the office and was met by a young lad about my age who gave me the keys and said your car is parked there. I turned around and whispered to my Dad "lets get out of here" got in my car a ragged it back home, car fixed and running nicely, I still have my envelope of cash and I bet the guy who gave my car back getting a right bollocking from his fat boss!

So, thanks to everyone that helped me with this one, you are a good bunch.
That's great news Stephen.... I love a happy ending.

Kim
Old 06 November 2004, 08:33   #11
TIM

Town: Dublin
Boat name: WIZARD
Make: REDBAY 7.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: OPTI 225
GREAT ... You Were lucky........ If I was in that situation ,I would want to burn down his place ,and Wreck as many nice cars in the front of it too.... But thats not nice really....