Old 16 January 2011, 20:08   #1

Town: Gloucestershire
Boat name: Osprey
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 5m +
Engine: E-tec 300 G2
MMSI: TBC
Ground Source Heat Pumps

Anyone got one or do you all just burn 50:1 premix in a barrel to heat your houses

Born fiddler
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2011, 20:15   #2

Town: A large rock
Boat name: La Frette
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200 Suzzy
I think air source are probably now the better way forward for your average heating requirements, unless you've already got a huge trench in your garden and you don't know what to put in it.

I saw a house the other day with air source heat pump and solar water panels combined into one system. Smart idea.
Erin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2011, 22:41   #3

Town: Glasgow
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin View Post
I think air source are probably now the better way forward.
Unfortunately it seems that air source pumps are only good above a certain temperature with their efficiency dropping dramatically once the air temp is below a certain point.
Old 17 January 2011, 07:16   #4

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
Done the maths with builder and architect, forget it. Look at solar, pv, biomass, mechanical heat recovery .
Old 17 January 2011, 14:07   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siochair View Post
Unfortunately it seems that air source pumps are only good above a certain temperature with their efficiency dropping dramatically once the air temp is below a certain point.
Ah yes, quite possibly. I was viewing it from the persepctive of our local temperate climate in the Channel Islands . 1kW of running cost for 3.5kW of heat output.
Old 17 January 2011, 14:19   #6

Town: Alderney
Quote:
Ah yes, quite possibly. I was viewing it from the persepctive of our local temperate climate in the Channel Islands . 1kW of running cost for 3.5kW of heat output.
A friend of ours has one and finds that it works ok in said climate, but the recent cold snap was more than it could possibly cope with.
Old 17 January 2011, 14:24   #7

Town: Glasgow
Quote:
I was viewing it from the persepctive of our local temperate climate in the Channel Islands .
Grrr!!! In that case I imagine it will be fine for most of the year but you will need a more appropriate alternative during really cold weather.
Old 17 January 2011, 15:25   #8

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Can put you in touch with a friend in France mate, real 'Techy'...RESEARCHED like you would'nt believe,spent Thousands,tore up lovely Paddock,took forever,...In the end Bought Wood burning boiler to suppliment the thing!! Great Blurb,F***ing CR**P IN THE REAL WORLD.

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2011, 20:56   #9

Town: Helsinki
Boat name: SR 5.4
Make: Avon
Engine: Toh1 3,5 Yam 90/2S
Think there are 2 different main types of Ground Source Heat pumps, the one where the collector is close to surface(on a large area) and the second one were a hole is drilled to 100-150 m depth and the collector is lowered down there. Believe the later one is the more efficient one and very popular in Scandinavia. Downside is high initial costs and You also need to have water based heating system(floor or radiator heating) increasing the costs further. What I heard from my neighbours, its working well, despite the fact that further heating (electricity) is need during coldest time of the year. In Sweden think the number of installed system is more than 250 000 units, can't be all crap. But You need to hit the hard stuff to get it working well, so it depends on the soil down under.

The newest trend is to build houses isolated so well that they are based on passive heating(technically no external heat source regularly in use, but isolation is huge). But moisture might be a issue(?) time will tell.

I have neither, as this area is connected to district heating(cooling water from a power plant some 20 km from here) so we just have e heat exchanger in the garage and piping from there to the house. That's also why we have floor heating in the garage that would be normally considered insane....
Old 17 January 2011, 20:58   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
In the end Bought Wood burning boiler to suppliment the thing!! Great Blurb,F***ing CR**P IN THE REAL WORLD.
Yep, we're going wood biomass with a bit of solar.
Old 17 January 2011, 21:01   #11

As far as it's been explained to me by those that know. The amount of elec required to transfer and compress the heat to produce anything that's of use, virtually negates any gain.
Old 18 January 2011, 00:30   #12

Town: Seattle
Boat name: Water Dog
Make: Polaris
Engine: Yamaha 60hp
We have what you'd call an air source heat pump. Works fine here (Seattle area); the supplemental electric element only comes on a few times a year.
Old 18 January 2011, 02:10   #13

Town: Bella Coola
Boat name: Water Rocket
Make: Polaris
Length: 9m +
Engine: twin Yamaha 150 hp
I just installed a 5 ton McQuay ground source heat pump in our house.
So far it has been working very well in our house and greenhouse in British Columbia coast area.
Water temperature going in is 47*F and and leaving 39*F with a 70*F heat output. I also have a wood furnace but don't seem to need it.
Nice being warm with out all the work packing wood.
hank
Old 21 January 2011, 08:19   #14

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
We're considering installing a wood-pellet boiler with solar panels too. I hate being held to ransom by the oil companies, as the price of kerosene goes up continually.
Old 21 January 2011, 08:28   #15
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by spartacus View Post
We're considering installing a wood-pellet boiler with solar panels too. I hate being held to ransom by the oil companies, as the price of kerosene goes up continually.
How much access do you have to pelletted wood? it strikes me that almost everyone I speak to is looking at woodburners and pellet fired boilers (either as "eco bling", lower cost, or whatever). If this is someone's main source if heating it will need a lot of wood - which if everyone goes over to that route the "wood pellet people" will respond to market forces and hold you to ransom instead (unless you have your own wood and the time and inclination to harvest, dry, pellet etc yourself). I wouldn't be surprised to see the local kerosene suppliers becoming the dominant supplier in wood either!
Old 21 January 2011, 08:40   #16

Town: Up Norf
Make: Avon SR4,Tremlett 23
Engine: Yam 55, Volvo 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
How much access do you have to pelletted wood? it strikes me that almost everyone I speak to is looking at woodburners and pellet fired boilers (either as "eco bling", lower cost, or whatever). If this is someone's main source if heating it will need a lot of wood - which if everyone goes over to that route the "wood pellet people" will respond to market forces and hold you to ransom instead (unless you have your own wood and the time and inclination to harvest, dry, pellet etc yourself). I wouldn't be surprised to see the local kerosene suppliers becoming the dominant supplier in wood either!
I don't have a pellet woodburner, just a bog standard burn what you want one, as do my parents.
Part of the reason for my parents getting a woodburner was when you come to sell the house and have to produce gas/electric bills it will be significantly less as all the wood is bought cash and cheap at that.
Old 21 January 2011, 09:36   #17

Town: Alderney
Quote:
Originally Posted by spartacus View Post
I hate being held to ransom by the oil companies, as the price of kerosene goes up continually.
Wait and see what this year brings, if you think it has been bad so far.

I so hope to be proved wrong.
Old 21 January 2011, 10:46   #18

Pity there's no oil reserves under that seabed you own

Solar heating has got to be the best option. Accepting the fact that it may need to be supplemented by some other fuel, at least when it is working it is practically free (or totally if on a gravity system)
Old 22 January 2011, 09:24   #19

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
Pellets. Good question. There are two suppliers in the Aberdeenshire area, either in Laurencekirk or Forres. More details here (for UK): http://www.nef.org.uk/logpile/fuelsu...s.asp?offset=0

The house and boiler is now 12 years old, and the oil-fired boiler is original. When we first moved here, kerosene was roughly 18p a litre. It's now over 59p a litre and climbing. The boiler engineer said it's efficient enough, but new boiler technology is better, and to start thinking of a replacement.

I thought the Scottish government was still providing incentive schemes for alternative heat/power, but after a quick check, it looks like the scheme closed last summer! Of course if I'd been a pikey with kids (not unlike a scene from Oliver Twist) I'd probably still qualify!

According to the Energy Saving Trust website, a wood pellet boiler for the average detached house (including automatic feed hopper) costs £11,500! That includes installation, flue, etc...

I did notice there could be a new scheme to encourage switching to non-fossil fuels from summer 2011. It will no doubt be over-subscribed, so I'm planning to do the research now.
http://www.energysavingtrust.org.uk/...Heat-Incentive
Old 22 January 2011, 09:41   #20

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by malthouse View Post
Wait and see what this year brings, if you think it has been bad so far.

I so hope to be proved wrong.
Exactly. The fuel duty regulator isn't likely to happen, and there's a further price rice due in April. The treasury simply can't afford to lose the revenue it makes, given the demands on national and local government.

Thought paying £65 for diesel was bad, spare a thought for the owner of this Bugatti Veyron! http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...l-station.html