Old 17 January 2011, 17:01   #11

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
As far as it's been explained to me by those that know. The amount of elec required to transfer and compress the heat to produce anything that's of use, virtually negates any gain.

Old 17 January 2011, 20:30   #12

Town: Seattle
Boat name: Water Dog
Make: Polaris
Engine: Yamaha 60hp
We have what you'd call an air source heat pump. Works fine here (Seattle area); the supplemental electric element only comes on a few times a year.

Old 17 January 2011, 22:10   #13

Town: Bella Coola
Boat name: Water Rocket
Make: Polaris
Length: 9m +
Engine: twin Yamaha 150 hp
I just installed a 5 ton McQuay ground source heat pump in our house.
So far it has been working very well in our house and greenhouse in British Columbia coast area.
Water temperature going in is 47*F and and leaving 39*F with a 70*F heat output. I also have a wood furnace but don't seem to need it.
Nice being warm with out all the work packing wood.
hank
Old 21 January 2011, 04:19   #14

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Engine: Tohatsu 60hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
We're considering installing a wood-pellet boiler with solar panels too. I hate being held to ransom by the oil companies, as the price of kerosene goes up continually.
Old 21 January 2011, 04:28   #15
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by spartacus View Post
We're considering installing a wood-pellet boiler with solar panels too. I hate being held to ransom by the oil companies, as the price of kerosene goes up continually.
How much access do you have to pelletted wood? it strikes me that almost everyone I speak to is looking at woodburners and pellet fired boilers (either as "eco bling", lower cost, or whatever). If this is someone's main source if heating it will need a lot of wood - which if everyone goes over to that route the "wood pellet people" will respond to market forces and hold you to ransom instead (unless you have your own wood and the time and inclination to harvest, dry, pellet etc yourself). I wouldn't be surprised to see the local kerosene suppliers becoming the dominant supplier in wood either!
Old 21 January 2011, 04:40   #16

Town: Up Norf
Make: Avon SR4,Tremlett 23
Engine: Yam 55, Volvo 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
How much access do you have to pelletted wood? it strikes me that almost everyone I speak to is looking at woodburners and pellet fired boilers (either as "eco bling", lower cost, or whatever). If this is someone's main source if heating it will need a lot of wood - which if everyone goes over to that route the "wood pellet people" will respond to market forces and hold you to ransom instead (unless you have your own wood and the time and inclination to harvest, dry, pellet etc yourself). I wouldn't be surprised to see the local kerosene suppliers becoming the dominant supplier in wood either!
I don't have a pellet woodburner, just a bog standard burn what you want one, as do my parents.
Part of the reason for my parents getting a woodburner was when you come to sell the house and have to produce gas/electric bills it will be significantly less as all the wood is bought cash and cheap at that.
Old 21 January 2011, 05:36   #17

Town: Alderney
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by spartacus View Post
I hate being held to ransom by the oil companies, as the price of kerosene goes up continually.
Wait and see what this year brings, if you think it has been bad so far.

I so hope to be proved wrong.
Old 21 January 2011, 06:46   #18
RIBnet supporter

Town: A large rock
Boat name: La Frette
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200 Suzzy
Pity there's no oil reserves under that seabed you own

Solar heating has got to be the best option. Accepting the fact that it may need to be supplemented by some other fuel, at least when it is working it is practically free (or totally if on a gravity system)
Erin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2011, 05:24   #19

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
Pellets. Good question. There are two suppliers in the Aberdeenshire area, either in Laurencekirk or Forres. More details here (for UK): http://www.nef.org.uk/logpile/fuelsu...s.asp?offset=0

The house and boiler is now 12 years old, and the oil-fired boiler is original. When we first moved here, kerosene was roughly 18p a litre. It's now over 59p a litre and climbing. The boiler engineer said it's efficient enough, but new boiler technology is better, and to start thinking of a replacement.

I thought the Scottish government was still providing incentive schemes for alternative heat/power, but after a quick check, it looks like the scheme closed last summer! Of course if I'd been a pikey with kids (not unlike a scene from Oliver Twist) I'd probably still qualify!

According to the Energy Saving Trust website, a wood pellet boiler for the average detached house (including automatic feed hopper) costs 11,500! That includes installation, flue, etc...

I did notice there could be a new scheme to encourage switching to non-fossil fuels from summer 2011. It will no doubt be over-subscribed, so I'm planning to do the research now.
http://www.energysavingtrust.org.uk/...Heat-Incentive
Old 22 January 2011, 05:41   #20

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by malthouse View Post
Wait and see what this year brings, if you think it has been bad so far.

I so hope to be proved wrong.
Exactly. The fuel duty regulator isn't likely to happen, and there's a further price rice due in April. The treasury simply can't afford to lose the revenue it makes, given the demands on national and local government.

Thought paying 65 for diesel was bad, spare a thought for the owner of this Bugatti Veyron! http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...l-station.html