Old 01 March 2007, 21:57   #1

Town: I.O.W/Switzerland
Boat name: HotShot
Make: shakey
Length: 5m +
Engine: 90hp Tohatsu TLDI
Getting away - Working in Canada/America

Hi all,

Sometime soon I would like to get away to Canada and/or america to work and also do some more freelance photography.

My rough plan so far is to go to somewhere like Fernie (or somewhere else if someone has a better idea?) in Canada and do a season snowboarding and taking pics. I would hopefully get some form of part time job to pay the rent do freelance photography on the side. I would then like to go over to Whistler and spend a season mountain biking, riding the best trails in the world and of course doing some freelance photography.

So basically has anyone got any experience with obtaining a work visa for canada? How do I do it? From what I have read on the internet it seems it is a bit difficult, but others have told me it can be easy. If I wanted to work as a freelance, how does that work with tax and visa etc? Anyone know?

Any other advice anyone could offer would be much appreciated. I'm lucky that being young with no ties I can up and go so I'm going to make the most of it!

Thanks in advance.

Tim
Old 02 March 2007, 00:33   #2

Town: Chicago
Boat name: Fat Bastard
Make: Hurricane 440,Mark2C
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yamaha 50, Nissan 40
as for freelance Tim, anything under 600 dollars needs no tax forms and you shouldn't say anything about it. Get paid in caaaash. If I am going to get paid more than 600 for a photo gig I ask for half up front and the other half on completion. Thus avoiding more taxes. I probably shouldn't be saying anything. Next thing I get audited. Not sure about the Visas though.

Oh yeah, Banff is incredible!!!

Do have a online portfolio?
Old 02 March 2007, 00:59   #3

Town: Punta gorda Fl.
Boat name: War Machine
Make: Falcon U.S.A.
Length: 9m +
Engine: twin 250 Yamaha
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogan View Post
as for freelance Tim, anything under 600 dollars needs no tax forms and you shouldn't say anything about it. Get paid in caaaash. If I am going to get paid more than 600 for a photo gig I ask for half up front and the other half on completion. Thus avoiding more taxes. I probably shouldn't be saying anything. Next thing I get audited. Not sure about the Visas though.

Oh yeah, Banff is incredible!!!

Do have a online portfolio?
Rogan, did you know I work for the audit division of the I.R.S.?
Now I am willing to "overlook" that comment regarding untaxed income which should have been reported on a 1099. I'll just need a few cases of that excellent coffee you sell.....
Old 02 March 2007, 01:32   #4

Town: Tobermory, Canada eh
Boat name: Verius
Make: Zodiac Hurricane 590
Engine: Yamaha F150
Send a message via MSN to Stoo
Tim, Fernie is an amazing place to ski. As is Whistler. Banff area. Jasper...

I can't offer any assistance with anything since I live here and don't need a visa... yet!

www.wetspotimages.com
Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 March 2007, 05:25   #5

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathalla View Post
Rogan, did you know I work for the audit division of the I.R.S.?
Dude; I *used* to like you....

jky
Old 02 March 2007, 07:12   #6

Town: Over here
Boat name: S.S. Nobstick
Make: Three Wise Monkeys
Length: 3m +
Engine: 44lbs of thrust....
Quote:
Originally Posted by slimtim View Post
...... I'm lucky that being young with no ties I can up and go so I'm going to make the most of it!

Thanks in advance.

Tim

...and now I just want to kill you!.......
Just go for it whilst you can. Make it happen, whatever. You will only regret it if you don't.

Cheers, Jono (Slightly green with jealousy)
Old 02 March 2007, 11:21   #7

Town: Newfoundland
Length: no boat
See PM

Tim, See PM ref. BUNAC.
Old 02 March 2007, 15:02   #8

thanks for the replies guys.

Rogan, $600 I guess is not all that much (current exchange rate is 2.29 Can$ to the £!) so I would hoep to earn more than that. Anyways, i'll have a chat with mr tax man here and see what he says. Perhaps I could earn money over there and have it paid into an english account ?

Banff, everyone seems to like it, why is it so good? better than Fernie?

Jono, ha I think you're definately right in that I'll regret it if I don't do it.

Alan, cheers for the PM, have replied.

So can anyone else help me out? Was thinking maybe trying to get a design/stress engineering job at one of the mountain bike companies in california after my year or so of dossing. Any pointers to help me out there?

Cheers guys
Old 02 March 2007, 15:32   #9

Town: San Carlos, Mexico
Boat name: INDE
Make: LOMAC 730
Length: 7m +
Engine: 200 Merc.
MMSI: Please press 1
Send a message via Skype™ to Limey Linda
Do not know about Canada but regarding the USA; you will have a huge problem if you want to work legally. You will have to get Resident Alien Visa ( Green Card). Unless, you have a spouse or parent who is a US citizen the the waiting list is about 5 years. You can get a tempory work permit that costs about $1000 dollars, I think, takes about 6 months to get and you will need to have a job lined up first. Sorry about the bad news. Please note that the FBI are now sending the directors, etc. of companys that hire illegal aliens to prison.
Regards.
Old 02 March 2007, 16:41   #10

ok, its not looking overly easy! I think maybe I'll have more luck if I get a job offer and then that company can sponsor me.

Just looking at doing a similar thing in Queenstown NZ. I think Pop might be able to offer me some advice here....
Old 02 March 2007, 16:48   #11

Town: Cowichan Bay
Boat name: Neptune
Make: Zodiac Hurricane
Length: 6m +
Engine: twin140 suzi 4stroke
Fernie has way better snow and I would say a much better place to stay for a while. Whitewater is also an awesome mountain just outside Nelson BC. Whitewater is smaller than fernie but the snow and terrain are just as good. Nelson is a super fun town to live in.

In whistler there are lots of aussies and kiwis working so you should be able to get a work visa. I believe that they limit you to six months but i could be wrong. It seems like once the visa runs out people will go to the USA for a few days then re-apply for another visa.I believe you need to have an employer endorse you so whistler might be the best bet as there are lots of jobs.

Be warned it is extremely expensive to live in whistler, 6 people to a two bedroom condo is the norm. there is some staff accomodation available. the snow is not as good as the interior of BC. here is a link for work visa ets. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/index.html

good luck, Simon
Old 02 March 2007, 18:29   #12

Town: Newport IoW
Boat name: Amean/Pronto/Rumbo
Make: Solent Rib Princess
Length: 7m +
Engine: 200hp Etec 260x 2
MMSI: lots of them
What about Bunacamp or Camp America great if you like ankle biters work for 4 months or so then use the remainder of the visa for travel.
Old 05 March 2007, 04:31   #13

Town: Fairbanks
Boat name: Medved
Make: Solar
Engine: 50 Tohatsu
MMSI: 007
paper work?

Hell, man. Just go to Mexico and walk in, like everyone else. If you stay in California, they'll pay for your driver's license and probably your health insurance, too. Forget all that fancy paperwork; too tedious. Just kidding.... sort of... but not really.... If you do come here, have fun; lots to do.
Old 06 March 2007, 20:42   #14

Town: Brittany/Portsmouth
Boat name: Merlin
Make: Solent 6.5
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200
MMSI: soon !
Wherever you decide to go Tim, you won't regret it!

You'll have brilliant adventures and meet all sorts of interesting people!!!

Hopefully you'll find a way to 'photo-blog' your journey!

Kathleen & Paul
Old 08 March 2007, 13:01   #15

Town: Chicago
Boat name: Fat Bastard
Make: Hurricane 440,Mark2C
Engine: Yamaha 50, Nissan 40
Hey Tim,

website looks nice! You gotta cut down those event galleries to just the very best stuff and fill up the portfolio section with something. Great sailing shots! I am working for the Columbia Chronicle right now which is a news paper associated with Columbia College here in Chicago. Hoping to be interning with Time Out Chicago for the summer. Have a look at my site. It also badly needs an update. It's about 2 years behind right now. But spring break is coming. You should find a great photo school and do some courses. Can you work on a student visa?

www.EndabaMedia.com
Old 08 March 2007, 13:29   #16

Town: British Columbia
Make: Gemini
Engine: 40hp 2 str
Bring a video camera and tell everyone you are from Khazakistan and that you're making a documentary for your glorious homeland.
Old 08 March 2007, 19:10   #17

Guys, thanks for all the help.

Simon, very helpful info, thanks. I'm waiting to here back from a few people so might be able to sort out a job to help get a visa.

Tim G, thanks for the info, but not sure i'm really interested in the camp america thing, I want to board, bike and take photos! I have looked into BUNAC though but they have run out of work visas for this year

K&P, thanks! I will definately have a bloggy whatsit majiggy thing on my site which leads me to...

...Rogan, thanks for the comments on the site. I'm not happy with the pics up there at the moment, they're a bit rubbish . I'm working on a complete site overhaul and just having a few pics up for each category. I am also working on a bloggy thing so I can easily post whilst away without worrying about ftp. Your site looks slick with the flash PS galleries and the pics are great. Looks like you just go out wondering around looking for interesting things to shoot..I don't get as much time to do that as I would like

If anyone has any more tips, then please let me know!

Thanks

Tim