Old 29 June 2006, 15:56   #1
ADS

Town: Dorset
Length: 4m +
Gearbox or selector

Hi guys, not boat related im afraid but some of you may have more idea than me!
A used car i ve recently test driven with a view to buying was very difficult to engage second gear, sometimes it was relatively easy, but other times I just could'nt get into 2nd. The owner advises it is probably the selector, is this true or could it be more serious. The car is a 1.4 16v Corsa SRI 2001 Y, with 64,000 miles. Any help much appreciated, think I may take it to a garage for their view.
Old 29 June 2006, 16:01   #2

Town: Oakley
Boat name: Zerstörer
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki DF 140
MMSI: 235050131
Walk away, Their must be loads of Corsa's of that age around at a good price. If the gearbox has to come out its going to be a big expensive job.
Old 29 June 2006, 16:11   #3
ADS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggles
Walk away, Their must be loads of Corsa's of that age around at a good price. If the gearbox has to come out its going to be a big expensive job.
Just had a quick scan on car forums and I think its the linkage, common problem apparently. Loads of them about, but this one belongs to a friend of mine and I know the history, its also heavily underpriced! Having said that, if it means taking the gearbox out, that'll be expensive!
Old 29 June 2006, 16:13   #4

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Engine: Honda BF50
Yep, it is the box and it'll be £'s to sort it. Good little cars Corsa's. Prob the best of it's type.
Old 29 June 2006, 18:26   #5
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
If someone says its just a few pounds to fix it - then why hasn't he done it. Tell him to fix it and if you are satisfied with the repair you will buy it (if you are feeling generous, or he is feeling greedy you could offer to pay him the cost of the new "linkage" assuming thats all thats needed.)
Old 29 June 2006, 22:25   #6
ADS

Ok guys cheers for your advice, I think it depends on the price I can get it, if its cheap enough it may be worth doing. How much approximately to take the box out? We talking 100's or thousands here, forgive me I haven't encountered gear box problems before.
Mollers, your right, its a nice little car, latest shape and very nippy.
Old 29 June 2006, 23:32   #7
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADS
We talking 100's or thousands here, forgive me I haven't encountered gear box problems before.
I don't know about a Corsa - but a gearbox replacement is usually the best part of a day's work for a reasonably competent mechanic (it depends on how complicated it is to get out, refit etc). 30 years ago they would probably have stripped the gear box down to repair the fault but I think now most people would just stick a new gear box in. So I think you will be looking at several hundred (ie, closer to £1k than £100) pounds unless you know a man that can, and/or can find a reconditioned box.
Old 29 June 2006, 23:54   #8

Town: Reading, Hants
Boat name: Juicy
Make: Sealine F43
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x 370hp
MMSI: TBC
ok phone around a few places that will recon a gearbox, let them know the issue it has, they can then give you a price for a replacement or to recon yours, you can then whip it off, get it done or swapped then refit, it is not really much of a job to do if you are reasonably competant

a couple of years ago my very reliable landrover steering box developed a seep leak....common problem i hasten to add

new one from landys was around 700 quid, phoned a recon place, removed it, posted to them via courrier, they recond it and sent it back by courrier, 150 quid plus 20 quid courrirererirrier. complete bargain

worth looking into as an option as there is not much to a gearbox really, plus might want to cx the clutch at the same time, if it is cheap enough then might be a consideration
Old 30 June 2006, 06:16   #9

Town: Oakley
Boat name: Zerstörer
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki DF 140
MMSI: 235050131
ADS. Look at spending a grand then if its any less you've made.

I have a Corsa, year 2000 from new. Good little car easy to service. As for changing the gearbox I should imagine that requires taking the whole engine out.

But if it is the gear linkage maybe it is easy to sort out.

Best bet is take it to an independant garage, get them to look at it, give you a quote and take it from their. Make any offer for the car subject to the quote.

So if the car is worth £3000. And the garage want £250 to fix it pay your mate £2750 and the garage £250 or even better get him to get the work done then pay him £3000.