Old 18 June 2006, 21:42   #1

Town: Houston
Boat name: Candy
Make: Valiant 490
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yamaha 50hp 4stroke
Frontera 2.0 sport

Is this a good vehicle to tow with? Needing something asap, It needs to be cheap as it will be a second car. There is one in the autotrader..... M reg, swb, 88k for £950. What do you think? Is there anything I should look out for? Will this get me out of the water and back up the beach? Thanks.
Old 18 June 2006, 21:44   #2
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
it will but it'll be awfully expensive to run.

Try and get the 2.8 diesel-Cheaper to run than the petrol 2 litre.

Look out for dodgy electrics.

Here's a 2.8 that was on ebay-you could always try contacting him...it's been relisted twice so you might get it cheap.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...tem=4647092512

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2006, 21:56   #3

Would only be using it at weekends so petrol mpg not too much of an issue. Is the 2.0 quite guttsy then?
Old 18 June 2006, 23:32   #4

Town: cornwall
Boat name: nothing
Make: rib eye 430
Engine: tatsu 50
MMSI: 666
Check out gearbox in all ratios , I would rather have the petrol on one that old , cheap and easy to fix . Thos old 2.8 diesels cracked heads for a pastime I believe
Old 19 June 2006, 00:00   #5
RIBnet admin team

RIBase
The 2.8 diesels are the bombproof Isuzu lump. It's the 2.3 diesel like my old one you need to stay away from-it's the old Bedford CF van engine and it's crap and eats heads(Maybe thats the one Ian means?). I'm not sure if they fitted it into the Sport version or not.

If you aren't going far a petrol will be fine but diesel engines have loads of low-down torque so you don't even need to use throttle to pull up a slipway-just use 4x4 low range and take your foot off the clutch. It makes it so easy and on slimy weedy slips it's a lot easier to control wheelspin.

The best setup is the manual locking front hubs (less to go wrong) but before you buy as Ian says make sure all the ratios are working properly. Try and make sure the auto-locking front hubs are working properly too if it doesn't have the manual ones. If they are working it'll feel odd in 4wd hi range-if they aren't then it'll drive like a 2wd when in 4x4 high range-or make a LOT of odd noise.

The 2.0 petrol WILL be thirsty. It's a car engine in a body that weighs nearly double the cars weight with less aerodynamics. I think the early 2.0 ones were cavalier engined-the later 2.2i were vectra (someone correct me if I'm wrong here) Fronty sports are great fun to drive though

Old 22 June 2006, 17:13   #6

Town: Bridlington, E Yorks
Boat name: Stormchild
Make: Ribquest 5.8
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki DF115TUL
MMSI: 235030489
You cant go wrong with a Fronty !

I've had 2, the first one was on a P reg, got it with 35000 in it and had it gas converted. Finally traded it in with 117000 miles on it. Terrific work horse, good power to weight ratio. I took it to what i thought was an easy off road place called langdale quest, and it turned out to be awesome. i thought I was going to end up trashing the car. Got round, no problem, no damage and it earned my (enormous) respect.
I would avoid Pre '96 (P) reg models - they have the sprung leaf suspension, Models from '96 onwards had the upgraded suspension with springs etc. All of the 2.0 - 8 Valve engines are going to be thirsty, it cost me about 17p per mile when I did the calculations pre gas conversion. 9.9 p afterwards.
Just traded in my second one on a R reg, which I bought last winter as another work horse. Had all pre MOT's, history etc and 57K on it. That was £1500. There are plenty about and in decent nick.
I've had a Long Wheel Base Nissan Terrano 2.7 SE Touring (Diesel) in between and flogged it for the new shape 2.2 16 valve petrol Frontera Short Wheel base. The diesel engine was great, but the nissan on a V (2000) was dogged with electrical problems, turbo meter went amongst other things.

You wont go far wrong with a Fronty, they're tough, cheap, cheerful and fairly easy to fix - Just go for one with some history and avoid the pre 96 models. (Apaches & Niagara's are the Special Edition Models and are a bit nicer)

Use the auto trader website and do a national search, if you're prepared to travel for the right car, you'll get a decent motor on a cheap deal.

Steve
Old 22 June 2006, 19:40   #7

Town: Oakley
Boat name: Zerstörer
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki DF 140
MMSI: 235050131
I love my Fronty. As with most vauxhalls they are underated.

I would like a bigger engine sometimes then I think how much the fuel would cost me. In low ratio they pull awesome and I should imagine if you beefed one up it would be quite an off road machine.
Old 22 June 2006, 22:18   #8
RIBnet admin team

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggles
I love my Fronty. As with most vauxhalls they are underated.

I would like a bigger engine sometimes then I think how much the fuel would cost me. In low ratio they pull awesome and I should imagine if you beefed one up it would be quite an off road machine.

Mine's actually quite cheap to run with the 2.8td in it. I was surprised.

Old 24 June 2006, 21:30   #9

Just back from lookin at a P reg, 86k, swb frontera 2.8tdi. Really liked it, think il go back tomorrow and buy it. £1475. What do you guys think?
Old 24 June 2006, 21:46   #10
RIBnet admin team

RIBase
As long as there's nothing wrong with it then grab it quick before someone else does.

Old 25 June 2006, 16:00   #11

Town: Oakley
Boat name: Zerstörer
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki DF 140
MMSI: 235050131
With regards the Frontera Diesel engines I once read that as they got newer they got smaller in cc but still managed to retain the same power.
Old 28 June 2006, 11:19   #12

Town: Bridlington, E Yorks
Boat name: Stormchild
Make: Ribquest 5.8
Engine: Suzuki DF115TUL
MMSI: 235030489
Did you get it ? - Hows it going ?
Old 28 June 2006, 21:23   #13

Bought it, everythin seems fine. Needs a wheel alignment and a service, ( I am i mechanic so shouldnt cost much) Gave it a good wash n hover, not to bad. Loads of power and torque. Thinking of getting mud terrain tyres, any advice on make? prices? 255/65r16
Old 28 June 2006, 21:42   #14
G L

Boat name: GlennVinny
Make: Leeway
Engine: Mariner 2.0 V6 135
MMSI: 235038455
I've got BF Goodrich A/T (all terain) there a good all rounder on and off road, good for 100mph, there about £100 each, but last for ages 30k+. You can get the same tread from collway (remold/recycled), for £50 each grips not as good on wet roads and they a bit vague at speed, but still a good tyre, they also do a mud terain. If your not going to tow to far, I would fit the collway M/T !!! nice and chunky.
Old 28 June 2006, 23:34   #15

Town: Fareham
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jieboy
Bought it, everythin seems fine. Needs a wheel alignment and a service, ( I am i mechanic so shouldnt cost much) Gave it a good wash n hover, not to bad. Loads of power and torque. Thinking of getting mud terrain tyres, any advice on make? prices? 255/65r16
Oooh Nooo Tooo Late.....I was gona suggest something more reliable than a Fronterra and just as cheep, but I won't bother now as you've bought it .

Good luck with your new purchase.

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2006, 23:41   #16

I have been contemplating a cheap 4wd . Our car hardy gets used as My work Transit does all the weekend boat towing /camping surfing trips .

The transit tows really well but is a pig for reversing a trailer into my drive and is next to useless on a slipery surface .

So what is a good cheap 4 wd thats better than a frontera . I have seen a few terano's around lately quite cheap , and there is a suzuki Vitara down the road but me thinks its too small . I don't see many diahatsu 4 tracks around these days .
Old 29 June 2006, 01:36   #17

Town: San Carlos, Mexico
Boat name: INDE
Make: LOMAC 730
Engine: 200 Merc.
MMSI: Please press 1
Send a message via Skype™ to Limey Linda
Hi Ian. If I was you I would not spend the money on a 4wd. Unless you really want one of course. For the budget minded Boater. Make sure trailer is equipped with a good swivel wheel tongue jack. In that way you can disconnect and manhandle the thing into the driveway. On your Transit: before launching let the rear tyres down to 10 psi. they will grip like the preverbial to a blanket. After recovery drive to nearest garage and air back up. Saves a vehicle, insurance etc, etc, and only takes you a few extra mins. Having said all that I have a 5.7 ltr. V8 Chevy 4wd Suburan that will "climb a telegraph pole" but has a 40 gall petrol tank, Ouch. Regards, Tony
Old 29 June 2006, 07:22   #18

Town: Principalite d'Chaos
Boat name: The Nashers Revenge!
Make: Windsor Brothers
Engine: Optimax 225
MMSI: "Mmmmm SI" she said!
Ian

How big is your new RIB? its surprising how difficult it can be to move something like a 4M RIB up a slope on your own as Limey Linda says, particularly as you probably won't have a handbrake on the trailer to hold it back when you need a rest.

Limey, you've obviously been away from the UK too long to suggest letting tyres down for recovery then pumping back up at the nearest garage.
Garages over here are closing down by the dozen, the air pumps at the smaller ones are all broken, and those at the 'Out of Town' supermarkets are often positioned where a car/van and trailer would not get near them.

Also the car would be so unstable towing a boat on the road with low pressure in the back tyres.

Cheap 4x4's, I'd recommend an early LWB Shogun/Pajero(Sits back and waits for the flack), Proper 4x4, with the weight for stable towing, low ratio box and switched diff locks, and if you don't use it that often the 3.5l V6 petrols are cheap to buy and go OK. My old 2.8TD was a great car that felt much less fragile than my new shape 3.2TD. The Teranos are also great buys. Friend of mine picked one up last summer from a dealer, 'M' reg with only 13K on the clock for under 6 grand. Hasn't missed a beat in the 15K he's put on it.

Nasher.
Old 29 June 2006, 17:35   #19
RIBnet admin team

RIBase
Fourtraks are great (had one and loved it!) if you can stomach the 24mpg fuel bills

I wouldn't get rid of my Mu now-it's pretty much the best parts of a Trooper mixed in with the best parts of a Frontera sport and even turns into a double bed

There's not really anything wrong with Fronteras as long as you don't buy an early Bedford engined one like my old one or a petrol-Anything with the Isuzu engine will probably outlive the driver.

Old 29 June 2006, 17:36   #20

The launching isn't really the problem , I have a winch if the tranny loses traction .
The hardest part is getting the thing turned outside my house and into the drive . I live at the end of a close and my drive is quite steep sloping downhill, so pushing the boat in isn't an option . The transit is crap for reversing a trailer as its quite long and wide .

Was thinking about a motor mover but they are quite expensive and not sure if they will work on a slope .

Just glad I didn't get bigger than the 4.9m rib