Old 16 January 2006, 21:50   #21

Town: Torquay UK
Boat name: Casper
Make: Sweden Yacht
Length: 10m +
Engine: Volvo 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Searider
Was thinking diesel - want to steer clear of K series head gasket problems.

Any significant differences between the Di and TD4 - I was thinking of getting an earlier one.

Any experience with rusting - or have yours been new/ish?
Some people on the landrover forums, prefer the Di's (read montego lump)
Wife's had all diesel's a couple of Di's, both to 100k miles plus, no troubles
no rust at all,, but would say the best was a 01 TD4 ES with 110 k on it,,i think for valve, go high annual miles 30/40k, BUT full service history,,
She's now on a late 04 one with low miles, and just does not go like the old one did,,
A few years back, had a Discovery, and had to put a complete rear floor in it, all gone to the rust bug !!
Old 16 January 2006, 22:21   #22
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
I had a newish (54 plate-not the new shape) TD5 (think it was a td5-3 litre turbodiesel) Disco on hire for a few weeks but it really wasn't much to write home about-it seems the low range shift seizes from lack of use and it took 10 attempts to engage low range each time I tried to use it.

Course, you could always go the whole hog and buy a Transit County... Huge amounts of fun, effectively a Landy with a transit body- and somewhere to sleep after a hard day out.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2006, 22:34   #23

Town: Cardiff
Make: Humber Destroyer 5.5
Length: 5m +
Engine: 90hp OB
I run a 1999 1.8 5 door freelander. Bought from main dealer 2 years ago. I did make sure head gasket set up was modified and that they put a heavy duty clutch in it. Its now got 80,000 on the clock and will be looking to change it soon. Have not had any significant problems though does go through rubber reasonably sharpish.

I wanted a small 4x4 but didn't like the look of the jap models so have to confess that I bought it purely for the looks. It definately is not the most sensible option there are better 4x4's and tow vehicles. I'm looking at a Nissan Navara Outlaw to replace.

It tows my rig very well, never had any problems but would guess it is quite a bit lighter than yours. Had no problems towing down through France and over the Pyrennes and regularly runs from Cardiff over to Milford Haven.

I went for the petrol as at the time it seemed more refined than the diesel of the time but I hear the TD4 is much better and has more torque.

Mike
Old 17 January 2006, 03:38   #24

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Both the TD4 and earlier L series diesel are very good. To be honest I have found the only fault with the L series is the torque comes in lower down than the TD4 - not so good for high speed work but far better suited to the Freelander.

We ran a small fleet of Rover 400s with the L series engine and had NO problems with the cars racking up over 160,000 miles each. The best thing about them is they will go something like 96,000 miles without needing the timing belt changed.
Old 17 January 2006, 07:08   #25

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
[QUOTE=Mike B] I run a 1999 1.8 5 door freelander. Bought from main dealer 2 years ago. I did make sure head gasket set up was modified and that they put a heavy duty clutch in it. Its now got 80,000 on the clock and will be looking to change it soon. Have not had any significant problems though does go through rubber reasonably sharpish.

I have a pal who reckons that his missus' XC90 costs about £100 a month in tyres!!
Old 17 January 2006, 07:14   #26

[

Course, you could always go the whole hog and buy a Transit County... Huge amounts of fun, effectively a Landy with a transit body- and somewhere to sleep after a hard day out. [/QUOTE]

Trannys make surprisingly good tow vehicles, someone does a 4x4 conversion for them i gather.
Old 17 January 2006, 07:18   #27

Town: Torquay UK
Boat name: Casper
Make: Sweden Yacht
Length: 10m +
Engine: Volvo 28
[QUOTE=Mollulnan]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike B
I have a pal who reckons that his missus' XC90 costs about £100 a month in tyres!!
???????? Best he sort's her out,, now on my 4th XC90, run them to 20-25k each, NEVER bought a tyre for any of them !!
Old 17 January 2006, 08:26   #28

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
I luv's landies me

But you have to go an awful long way to beat a trooper in my opinion. They are cheap, have a great engine 2.8TD and come in a short wheelbase and in common with the Landie they are ugly . They don't like the water much however so launch on a rope

If you want to know how reliable they re ask ribshop
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2006, 08:43   #29

Boat name: Mr Blue Sky
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: E-Tec 90
First Freelander 1.8 towed 1.8 tonne Searay/trailer OK-ish down to Cornwall and back but struggled up hills (not enough power) and down hills (brake fade - though trailer brakes not helping much) and also clutch struggled on slipways/hillstarts. Also dodgy with head gaskets.

Second Freelander V6 auto tows a lot better (but ribcraft/trailer perhaps half weight of Searay) and respectable speeds possible. Has no trouble on hills or slipways/hillstarts. Is quite thirsty though - 16-17 mpg when towing. Great car for everyday use as well. Could do with larger boot though, the missus will pack the kitchen sink.
Old 17 January 2006, 09:02   #30

Town: Nutbourne
Boat name: Renegade
Make: Porter
Length: 6m +
Engine: 140 Tohatsu
MMSI: 235022904
The former owner of my boat used a diesel Freeloader without too much trouble. He did quite a lot of miles with them tied together. It was an improvement on the Suzi SJ 310 he used before. He now swears by, not at, his X-Trail.

I replaced my old rangy with a P plate V8i ES Disco 1 with 58,000k (full electric leather, twin air con, heated galss both ends etc) for £6000. The beast tows easily even with the trailer brakes left on.
I get over the fuel consumption by reminding myself it is a lot better than the RIB.
Old 17 January 2006, 10:02   #31

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Searider
All of the new stuff is far too complicated to take anywhere near any salt water
Agreed, and the off road performance of Jimbo's 4x4 "Asian" thingy on Saturday morning was awful. Couldn't even drive across a wet lawn and needed the Disco to recover it onto the tarmac Jimbo you need to buy Ducans Range Rover.

Rogue Wave should sort out his 110 Landie for the occasional rib users on a cheap hire for the day basis.

Pete
Old 17 January 2006, 10:17   #32

Town: Cowes
Engine: 225 Opti
Had a couple of these. First was a nightmare - headgasket, trim, exhaust etc...
Current one have had from new and just coming up to 20k. Very nice and civilised without being too big and it tows my boat ok. Definately go for td4 option it is very good. I wouldn't launch again with it though as a bit hard on the clutch but I guess it is a pretty heavy boat/trailer/engine.
Old 17 January 2006, 10:28   #33

Length: 6m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7
Agreed, and the off road performance of Jimbo's 4x4 "Asian" thingy on Saturday morning was awful. Couldn't even drive across a wet lawn and needed the Disco to recover it onto the tarmac Jimbo you need to buy Ducans Range Rover.
I still blame the tyres! It needs a diff lock...

I've actually been looking at Rangies on eBay, there are some P38 bargains to be had, but I'm not sure I could be a student in a rangie!

I'm paying closer attention to Nissan Patrols and isuzu troopers - all points say they are excellent tow vehicles, and can shift offroad. Reliable, as they're jap, and they even look like 4x4's!
Old 17 January 2006, 10:29   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7

Rogue Wave should sort out his 110 Landie for the occasional rib users on a cheap hire for the day basis.

Pete
Agreed about sorting out the 110. I am going back to the North sea in April so I'll chuck a couple of weeks into it when I get back.!

Afetr all that effort I am fkkd if I am gonna lend it to somebody else to use. You and Searider can borrow it though
Old 17 January 2006, 10:51   #35

Call me fussy, but all this clutch, head gasket and high geared stuff would bring me to the conclusion not to go near one with a barge pole.
Old 17 January 2006, 10:53   #36
RIBnet supporter

Town: West Wittering
Length: no boat
I used to have a 52 plate Freelander TD4, and it struggled to pull my Avon 620 up the slipway at Cobbs Quay. Found I had to really work it hard to pull the boat generally. Sold it just after that and bought a Landcruiser Amazon, 4.7 V8 that did the job perfectly.
Old 17 January 2006, 11:01   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollulnan
Call me fussy, but all this clutch, head gasket and high geared stuff would bring me to the conclusion not to go near one with a barge pole.
go near what a stoodent or a Kia
Old 17 January 2006, 11:05   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Wave
go near what a stoodent or a Kia
A FREELANDER!
Old 17 January 2006, 12:32   #39

Town: West Sussex
Length: no boat
Duncan
keep well away from the FREELANDER. I had the 2000 petrol model (1.8L) and had towed my first Seahawk from Poland in 2002. Towing the rib on a 4 wheel trailer (about 1400kg) was more or less ok but not a piece of cake . However when trying to recover then it is just useless. I had big problems in getting up the slip in Plymouth after the first RibNet conference, Just about burnt the clutch and on top of things at 40K experienced the head gasket problem. Mind you got a brand new engine cos the 3 year warranty was still valid. Last year I did a part exchange and now enjoy a TDI300 Landrover

Andre
Old 17 January 2006, 14:18   #40

Town: Cardiff
Make: Humber Destroyer 5.5
Engine: 90hp OB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre
Towing the rib on a 4 wheel trailer (about 1400kg) was more or less ok but not a piece of cake . However when trying to recover then it is just useless.

The Freelanders kerb weight is 1457kg so using the recomended 85% rule this gives a recomended safe towing weight of 1238 kg - although the MAX towing weight is 2000 kg. Which may explain the problems it had when faced with a steep incline and no momentum?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo
I still blame the tyres! It needs a diff lock...
Well the freelander has a viscous coupling over the cetral diff to negate the need for a diff lock - however it's sadly lacking a low ratio