Old 10 March 2009, 23:14   #1

Town: Wilmslow
Boat name: Serotonin
Make: Quicksilver
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mariner 15
Free 40' yacht if you can find it

Apparently there is a 40 foot yacht drifting in the Atlantic yours for the taking if you can find it have a look here - http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/UK-...15227363?f=rss

What would you have done in similar circumstances?
Old 11 March 2009, 02:01   #2

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
I read about this a while ago. There have been numerous incidence like this lately. Modern yacht design is to blame in many cases.

I really find it hard to believe that the rudder was so stuck it couldn't be fixed. Even if it had been I am sure I would have found some means of removing the damn thing and rigging a jury one.
Old 11 March 2009, 07:21   #3

Town: Over here
Boat name: S.S. Nobstick
Make: Three Wise Monkeys
Engine: 44lbs of thrust....
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
I really find it hard to believe that the rudder was so stuck it couldn't be fixed. Even if it had been I am sure I would have found some means of removing the damn thing and rigging a jury one.
Yes, Codders, no doubt a man of your expertise and experience would have faired better............
Old 11 March 2009, 07:49   #4

Quote:
I read about this a while ago. There have been numerous incidence like this lately. Modern yacht design is to blame in many cases.

Apparently this particular yacht had a "concealed" rudder and it wasn't possible to repair nor ditch it
Old 11 March 2009, 10:34   #5

Town: Côte d'Azur
Boat name: Beaver Patrol
Make: Avon Searider SR4
Length: 4m +
Surly leaving the yacht bobbing around isn't a particularly safe thing to do....whilst sitting in A & E last year I came across an ancient copy of Sailing Today and read a fascinating article on a couple that were sailing across the Atlantic in some sort of race. They had very similar trouble, and despite numerous repairs they just couldn't get the thing to work. In the end they were rescued by another boat in the race, and were told to sink the yacht so it didn't present a danger to others.
Old 11 March 2009, 11:47   #6
JSP

Town: Southport
Boat name: Qudos
Make: 5.4 Searider
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yam 115 V4
MMSI: 235068784
If you did find it, and could get it back. Would you return it to the owner? I know I would.
Old 11 March 2009, 13:44   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jono View Post
Yes, Codders, no doubt a man of your expertise and experience would have faired better............
More like stubborness it works far better.

The people were in no immediate danger and had plenty of time to come up with something.
Old 11 March 2009, 13:45   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSP View Post
If you did find it, and could get it back. Would you return it to the owner? I know I would.
I take it you are being sarcastic?

I would return their personal effects but that would be it. This would be a clear cut case of salvage.
Old 11 March 2009, 13:47   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred bolton View Post
Apparently this particular yacht had a "concealed" rudder and it wasn't possible to repair nor ditch it
I agree many modern mass produced boats leave a lot to be desired. I am sure there must have been a way though - even working from the tender.
Old 11 March 2009, 13:49   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim M View Post
Surly leaving the yacht bobbing around isn't a particularly safe thing to do....whilst sitting in A & E last year I came across an ancient copy of Sailing Today and read a fascinating article on a couple that were sailing across the Atlantic in some sort of race. They had very similar trouble, and despite numerous repairs they just couldn't get the thing to work. In the end they were rescued by another boat in the race, and were told to sink the yacht so it didn't present a danger to others.
That was the advice fom our illustrious powerboat trainer Jono Garton, get picked up and sink it
Old 11 March 2009, 13:52   #11

Quote:
Yes without a doubt mariners should look after each other, including not making a gain out of somebody's misfortune ( except professional salvagers )
Old 11 March 2009, 14:21   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred bolton View Post
Yes without a doubt mariners should look after each other, including not making a gain out of somebody's misfortune ( except professional salvagers )
There is a big difference in this case. I have on several occassions rescued people's boats that have drifted away or run out of fuel etc and expect nothing in return(other than some petrol if I used extra).

The boat that was abandoned was just that. Anyone who salvages it would have to go to considerable time and trouble.
Old 11 March 2009, 15:18   #13

Town: Oakland CA
Quote:
I take it you are being sarcastic?

I would return their personal effects but that would be it. This would be a clear cut case of salvage.
Salvage does not, as far as I am aware, entitle you to the vessel. It entitles you to a monetary compensation on the worth of the vessel, but not the vessel itself.

jky
Old 11 March 2009, 15:21   #14
JSP

Treat people how you'd like to be treated. Ok so the insurance more than likely paid them out but I bet that boat meant allot to them.
Old 11 March 2009, 15:43   #15

Quote:
Treat people how you'd like to be treated. Ok so the insurance more than likely paid them out but I bet that boat meant allot to them.
If it had been my boat I don't think I would have just left it as it would mean a lot to me!!!
Old 11 March 2009, 15:55   #16
JSP

Quote:
If it had been my boat I don't think I would have just left it as it would mean a lot to me!!!
40 days though! Long time lost in the blue.
Old 11 March 2009, 16:01   #17

Quote:
40 days though! Long time lost in the blue.
It is a long time and maybe I am being unfair in this particular case but there have been a lot of cases lately where the crew could have done more to save their boat.

There are many cases where the RNLI are called because a yachts engine has failed. I wonder what happened 50 years ago when most yachts didn't have an engine???

I think a lot of people who take up things like yachting these days are used to having everything done for them and we live in a push button world. How many people actually work on their cars any more for example?
Old 11 March 2009, 16:30   #18

Quote:
There is a big difference in this case. I have on several occassions rescued people's boats that have drifted away or run out of fuel etc and expect nothing in return(other than some petrol if I used extra).

The boat that was abandoned was just that. Anyone who salvages it would have to go to considerable time and trouble.
I said should not make a gain, covering your costs is ok and only fair
Old 16 March 2009, 00:05   #19

Town: yorkshire
Boat name: little vicky
Make: avon ex RNLI
Engine: tohatsu
Quote:
It is a long time and maybe I am being unfair in this particular case but there have been a lot of cases lately where the crew could have done more to save their boat.

There are many cases where the RNLI are called because a yachts engine has failed. I wonder what happened 50 years ago when most yachts didn't have an engine???

I think a lot of people who take up things like yachting these days are used to having everything done for them and we live in a push button world. How many people actually work on their cars any more for example?
50 years ago most sailors dident start to cry if they were going to be late into work on a monday morning owing to problems with the boat or weather .it was accepted that you were in a boat and anything could happen and it was up to yourselves to sort it and not expect to make a call and have someone else to sort it for them unless it was a proper life or death situation .woodern boats and iron men now its plastic boats and plastic men.
Old 16 March 2009, 15:00   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by m chappelow View Post
50 years ago most sailors dident start to cry if they were going to be late into work on a monday morning owing to problems with the boat or weather .it was accepted that you were in a boat and anything could happen and it was up to yourselves to sort it and not expect to make a call and have someone else to sort it for them unless it was a proper life or death situation .woodern boats and iron men now its plastic boats and plastic men.
Excellent - plastic men - like that!!!