Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 16 March 2009, 14:06   #21
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Boat name: Seashell
Make: Redbay
Length: 7m +
Engine: Inboard diesel
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 5,263
Quote:
Originally Posted by m chappelow View Post
50 years ago most sailors dident start to cry if they were going to be late into work on a monday morning owing to problems with the boat or weather .it was accepted that you were in a boat and anything could happen and it was up to yourselves to sort it and not expect to make a call and have someone else to sort it for them unless it was a proper life or death situation .woodern boats and iron men now its plastic boats and plastic men.
Probably cos they didn't have Sat phones back then!
__________________

__________________
Tim M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2009, 15:31   #22
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Length: 8m +
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 6,556
Quote:
Originally Posted by m chappelow View Post
50 years ago most sailors dident start to cry if they were going to be late into work on a monday morning owing to problems with the boat or weather .it was accepted that you were in a boat and anything could happen and it was up to yourselves to sort it and not expect to make a call and have someone else to sort it for them unless it was a proper life or death situation .woodern boats and iron men now its plastic boats and plastic men.
I can just here you Yorkshire dialect in my minds ear, but I couldn't agree more
__________________

__________________
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2009, 05:01   #23
Member
 
Pete7's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 4,850
Quote:
Originally Posted by fred bolton View Post
That was the advice fom our illustrious powerboat trainer Jono Garton, get picked up and sink it
IS this what Jono did when he flipped that rib over or is this just general advice he gives out. Has he done some offshore sailing and thought about having to abandone his pride and joy.

It would seem from folks that know the skipper that he had done several Atlantic crossings prior to this happenning. I think that he would have had quite a bit of time sitting on board for 40 days to come up with a solution to the problem. The fact that he couldn't during all that time probably means there wasn't an option.

What is a concealed rudder? thought that rudders were on the outside of the hull and normally exposed to water to enable them to work.

Pete
__________________
.
Ribnet is best viewed on a computer of some sort
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2009, 03:14   #24
Member
 
chewy's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Up Norf
Make: Avon SR4,Tremlett 23
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yam 55, Volvo 200
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 5,217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post

What is a concealed rudder?

Pete

A rudder thats concealed!
I think what was meant was that it was right under the hull and not transom mounted so he had no access.

Not a good situation to be in really.
__________________
chewy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2009, 03:36   #25
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Wilmslow
Boat name: Serotonin
Make: Quicksilver
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mariner 15
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 712
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
IS this what Jono did when he flipped that rib over or is this just general advice he gives out. Has he done some offshore sailing and thought about having to abandone his pride and joy.


Pete
In this world someone has to push the boundaries for the safety of others!!!!!!!
__________________
fred bolton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2009, 03:38   #26
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Wilmslow
Boat name: Serotonin
Make: Quicksilver
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mariner 15
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 712
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
It would seem from folks that know the skipper that he had done several Atlantic crossings prior to this happenning. I think that he would have had quite a bit of time sitting on board for 40 days to come up with a solution to the problem. The fact that he couldn't during all that time probably means there wasn't an option.

Pete
Spot on
__________________
fred bolton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2009, 04:52   #27
Member
 
Pete7's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 4,850
Quote:
Originally Posted by fred bolton View Post
In this world someone has to push the boundaries for the safety of others!!!!!!!
Could he repeat it do you think? Would make good entertainment for "999" type of programme. He might need to do it several times though to get all the best camera angles, expression of horror on the faces etc.

Back to the yacht, shame they couldn't hold it together for a little longer,they were drifting towards Bermuda 300 miles away and possible rescue but another big storm coming in probably made the decision for them.

Pete
__________________
.
Ribnet is best viewed on a computer of some sort
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2009, 14:20   #28
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Wilmslow
Boat name: Serotonin
Make: Quicksilver
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mariner 15
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 712
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Could he repeat it do you think? Would make good entertainment for "999" type of programme. He might need to do it several times though to get all the best camera angles, expression of horror on the faces etc.


Pete
In the interest of science I hope so, Ill try and get him to do it
__________________
fred bolton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2009, 14:26   #29
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Wilmslow
Boat name: Serotonin
Make: Quicksilver
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mariner 15
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 712
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post

Back to the yacht, shame they couldn't hold it together for a little longer,they were drifting towards Bermuda 300 miles away and possible rescue but another big storm coming in probably made the decision for them.

Pete
Spot on again, they were not in any real danger until the point they were picked up and the US Coastguard had been monitoring them all the way through the ordeal and both parties were in control of the situation, but unfortunately not the rudder.
__________________

__________________
fred bolton is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:06.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.