Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 11 March 2009, 09:52   #11
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Wilmslow
Boat name: Serotonin
Make: Quicksilver
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mariner 15
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 712
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSP View Post
If you did find it, and could get it back. Would you return it to the owner? I know I would.
Yes without a doubt mariners should look after each other, including not making a gain out of somebody's misfortune ( except professional salvagers )
__________________

__________________
fred bolton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2009, 10:21   #12
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 12,791
Quote:
Originally Posted by fred bolton View Post
Yes without a doubt mariners should look after each other, including not making a gain out of somebody's misfortune ( except professional salvagers )
There is a big difference in this case. I have on several occassions rescued people's boats that have drifted away or run out of fuel etc and expect nothing in return(other than some petrol if I used extra).

The boat that was abandoned was just that. Anyone who salvages it would have to go to considerable time and trouble.
__________________

__________________
codprawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2009, 11:18   #13
Member
 
Country: USA
Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 6,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
I take it you are being sarcastic?

I would return their personal effects but that would be it. This would be a clear cut case of salvage.
Salvage does not, as far as I am aware, entitle you to the vessel. It entitles you to a monetary compensation on the worth of the vessel, but not the vessel itself.

jky
__________________
jyasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2009, 11:21   #14
JSP
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Southport
Boat name: Qudos
Make: 5.4 Searider
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yam 115 V4
MMSI: 235068784
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 3,930
Treat people how you'd like to be treated. Ok so the insurance more than likely paid them out but I bet that boat meant allot to them.
__________________
JSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2009, 11:43   #15
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 12,791
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSP View Post
Treat people how you'd like to be treated. Ok so the insurance more than likely paid them out but I bet that boat meant allot to them.
If it had been my boat I don't think I would have just left it as it would mean a lot to me!!!
__________________
codprawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2009, 11:55   #16
JSP
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Southport
Boat name: Qudos
Make: 5.4 Searider
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yam 115 V4
MMSI: 235068784
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 3,930
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
If it had been my boat I don't think I would have just left it as it would mean a lot to me!!!
40 days though! Long time lost in the blue.
__________________
JSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2009, 12:01   #17
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 12,791
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSP View Post
40 days though! Long time lost in the blue.
It is a long time and maybe I am being unfair in this particular case but there have been a lot of cases lately where the crew could have done more to save their boat.

There are many cases where the RNLI are called because a yachts engine has failed. I wonder what happened 50 years ago when most yachts didn't have an engine???

I think a lot of people who take up things like yachting these days are used to having everything done for them and we live in a push button world. How many people actually work on their cars any more for example?
__________________
codprawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2009, 12:30   #18
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Wilmslow
Boat name: Serotonin
Make: Quicksilver
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mariner 15
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 712
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
There is a big difference in this case. I have on several occassions rescued people's boats that have drifted away or run out of fuel etc and expect nothing in return(other than some petrol if I used extra).

The boat that was abandoned was just that. Anyone who salvages it would have to go to considerable time and trouble.
I said should not make a gain, covering your costs is ok and only fair
__________________
fred bolton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2009, 20:05   #19
Member
 
m chappelow's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: yorkshire
Boat name: little vicky
Make: avon ex RNLI
Length: 3m +
Engine: tohatsu
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,310
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
It is a long time and maybe I am being unfair in this particular case but there have been a lot of cases lately where the crew could have done more to save their boat.

There are many cases where the RNLI are called because a yachts engine has failed. I wonder what happened 50 years ago when most yachts didn't have an engine???

I think a lot of people who take up things like yachting these days are used to having everything done for them and we live in a push button world. How many people actually work on their cars any more for example?
50 years ago most sailors dident start to cry if they were going to be late into work on a monday morning owing to problems with the boat or weather .it was accepted that you were in a boat and anything could happen and it was up to yourselves to sort it and not expect to make a call and have someone else to sort it for them unless it was a proper life or death situation .woodern boats and iron men now its plastic boats and plastic men.
__________________
m chappelow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2009, 11:00   #20
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 12,791
Quote:
Originally Posted by m chappelow View Post
50 years ago most sailors dident start to cry if they were going to be late into work on a monday morning owing to problems with the boat or weather .it was accepted that you were in a boat and anything could happen and it was up to yourselves to sort it and not expect to make a call and have someone else to sort it for them unless it was a proper life or death situation .woodern boats and iron men now its plastic boats and plastic men.
Excellent - plastic men - like that!!!
__________________

__________________
codprawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:24.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.