Old 08 June 2006, 21:25   #1

Town: Stockholm
Make: KR7
Length: 7m +
Engine: Evinrude 150 H.O
Ford Explorer -98

Planning to sell my Explorer in Sweden, but just wondering what is the price on this car in UK. Ford Explorer -98 (145000km)?
Old 08 June 2006, 22:16   #2
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by joakimhansson
Planning to sell my Explorer in Sweden, but just wondering what is the price on this car in UK. Ford Explorer -98 (145000km)?
I don't have any personal experience of the Explorer - and I think they are relatively uncommon as a privately owned vehicle - perhaps more likely to be used (in pickup format?) as a commercial vehicle?

However Parkers guide gives suggested prices for selling it:

Ford Explorer

4.0 5d Auto 1998/S
Insurance Group 16
Average mileage: 70,000 miles
Cost New ('98) £ 26320
Franchised Dealer £ 3445
Independent Dealer £ 3220
Private Good £ 3025
Private Poor £ 2350
Part Exchange £ 2700

See http://www.parkers.co.uk/pricing/use...buyorsell=sell for other options, e.g. if it is early 98 change the year to 1998/R. Good and poor relate to condition of the vehicle. Note the mileage - I think yours has a bit more on it.
Old 08 June 2006, 22:22   #3

Town: Stockholm
Make: KR7
Length: 7m +
Engine: Evinrude 150 H.O
Not much! But thanks for the link.
Old 08 June 2006, 22:49   #4

Town: Principalite d'Chaos
Boat name: The Nashers Revenge!
Make: Windsor Brothers
Length: 6m +
Engine: Optimax 225
MMSI: "Mmmmm SI" she said!
I've heard the explorer is very under-rated, but unfortunatly got off to a bad start in the UK when the first ones imported had a habit of falling over too easy or something.

Nasher.
Old 08 June 2006, 22:52   #5

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
And a problem with accelerator pedals jamming. There are a number of accidents attributed to this. Pity the drivers didn't think to turn the engine off!
Richard B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 June 2006, 07:26   #6

Town: Over here
Boat name: S.S. Nobstick
Make: Three Wise Monkeys
Engine: 44lbs of thrust....
Since I bought three of the very first imported into the UK... job lot... they did a deal..OK... so it wasn't greatest commercial decision I ever made ..... so call be gullible ... anyway, I feel pretty qualified to comment… one was so difficult to fix, in the end the dealer took it away and gave me a Toyota... which I then traded for another LR 110 ...…. One I part exchanged as fast as I could for a Mitsubishi… the other I still have….. Damn, but it’s a pig to get it fixed when it breaks…. When it’s running, it is a fantastic vehicle…. Tows well, comfortable and pretty economical for a 4.0 engine… air conditioning is very good.. as you’d expect with a Yank vehicle though….great over the last few days..
Value ? Couldn’t give it away… but, as it’s currently running OK… it makes a very good spare vehicle.
Old 09 June 2006, 08:28   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart
…..- perhaps more likely to be used (in pickup format?) as a commercial vehicle?

No commercial/pick-up variant available in this country to the best of my knowledge….the "Ranger" is not the same vehicle… that is a “far-eastern” built piece of tat…

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasher
I've heard the explorer is very under-rated, but unfortunately got off to a bad start in the UK when the first ones imported had a habit of falling over too easy or something.

Nasher.
Never got one to fall over yet… that’s Suzi SJs and “A” class Mercs…

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard B
And a problem with accelerator pedals jamming. There are a number of accidents attributed to this. Pity the drivers didn't think to turn the engine off!
Mmm...since this happened to me.. I can explain why I nearly got wiped... without time to "turn off the ignition".... Waiting to join lights... see gap in traffic from left... floor the throttle... then lift off as... coming up to traffic lights mid-Island..50 yds further... Oh s**t ... still accelerating towards traffic/red lights... and believe me the ol' V6 has plenty of ooomph combined with a low first ration in the auto box... That's pretty well 8 or 9 years ago now.. and most of the details are hazy.. but the feeling of helplessness/"What the Feck" for even a split second are burned into my soul...
Old 09 June 2006, 09:16   #8

Town: Calshot
Boat name: Swan Song
Make: LM 27
Length: 8m +
Engine: Bukh 20
MMSI: ?
I used to sell these new,the throttle jammings were all attributed to floormats incorrectly fiited and not held in place by screws and cruise control jamming.All the recalls were to sort these problems out.
I used to pull a bwm 6mtr with one of these and was fantastic for launching off the sand at Blackrock beach in Wales.
Of course this car was directly attributed to the then MD Ford Europe losing his job when the courts decided that Ford would have to replace all the Firestone tyres still in use on Explorers worldwide!
Getting back to the original question,'98 "s" no lpg and 100,000 miles in good nick with history £1750 trade value or thereabouts.
Old 09 June 2006, 09:16   #9

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jono
... still accelerating towards traffic/red lights... .. and most of the details are hazy.. but the feeling of helplessness/"What the Feck" for even a split second are burned into my soul...
Had a similar experience once with the cat.... decided to sit behind the clutch and brake pedals, but that's another story!
Richard B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 June 2006, 09:31   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard B
Had a similar experience once with the cat.... decided to sit behind the clutch and brake pedals, but that's another story!
bit tougher on the moggy than on you, I would imagine...