Click Here to Login

Old 02 April 2007, 11:54   #1

Town: Plougastel-Daoulas
Boat name: Kristha
Make: Narwhal HD580
Length: 5m +
Engine: Tohatsu 90hp TLDI
Fishing sea bass from your RIB ? Look at this

If bass fishing is what makes your day, you may want to have a look at this petition: http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/BassMLS/

Why ? Because the previous decision that was adopted to raise the MLS to 40cm has just been abandoned...

This petition is aimed to get the government to raise the Minimum Landing Size for Bass (Dicentrarchus labrax) to 45cm. This would allow every fish to spawn at least once and allow us to move to a more sustainable Bass stock. We also urge the government to lobby the EU to introduce the MLS in all member states.

Sounds logical enough? Well, not to everybody obviously.

I can't sign the petition myself, what with being born on the wrong side of the channel and such but if you want your kids to be able to catch some seabass, please support this larger MLS.

JK, I don't know if this is the right place to post this message. If you feel it doesn't belong, please just delete it, thank you.
Old 02 April 2007, 12:04   #2

Town: darlington
Boat name: GlennVinny
Make: Leeway 6.3
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mariner135v6/4hp aux
MMSI: 235038455
Thanks for posting that le forban, as a sea fisher myself its allways good to know whats happening with regards to legislation and all that. You may find that a lot of sea fishers are actualy practising catch and release these days, and with bass, most fishermen have been only taking them after 45cm for a while now, totaly voluntary, but it makes sense. Cheers!
Old 02 April 2007, 17:39   #3

Town: Plougastel-Daoulas
Boat name: Kristha
Make: Narwhal HD580
Length: 5m +
Engine: Tohatsu 90hp TLDI
That's the spirit
I have to admit that last year I had a personal MLS at 42, not 45 but nobody's perfect, right ? There's quite a few associations in the EU now to defend this position.
The Irish solution with a daily quota is interesting too but it may frustrate the poor chap that's got only an opportunity for a week-end a year to catch some sea bass