Old 23 January 2011, 18:26   #1

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 90
Find or wipe your lost iphone

Ive not had to use this in anger, but have experienced the paranoia of not knowing where my phone was.

I think this is for ios4 only so will only work for iphone 4 's but what a great feature and is FOC.

If you register with this site here and then select one of the options on the phones software .. because the phone has built in GPS, you can use google earth/maps to pinpoint where the phone is ...ehhhh .. even which side of your house its on

The site then gives you options of whether you want to put a message on the phones display, lock it with a code, or .. wipe the entire phone wowsaaaa .. now thats an advance
Old 23 January 2011, 18:58   #2
RIBnet supporter

Town: Dinard, Brittany
Boat name: Into the Red
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 7m +
Engine: Evinrude E-tec 250HO
MMSI: 235 076 114
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmuz7 View Post
Ive not had to use this in anger, but have experienced the paranoia of not knowing where my phone was.

I think this is for ios4 only so will only work for iphone 4 's but what a great feature and is FOC.

If you register with this site here and then select one of the options on the phones software .. because the phone has built in GPS, you can use google earth/maps to pinpoint where the phone is ...ehhhh .. even which side of your house its on

The site then gives you options of whether you want to put a message on the phones display, lock it with a code, or .. wipe the entire phone wowsaaaa .. now thats an advance
Jailbroken iphones have had that feature since it came out
Old 23 January 2011, 19:05   #3

Some of us still have phones in warranty .. do you mean 3G's as well ?
Old 23 January 2011, 19:13   #4
RIBnet supporter

RIBase
Quote:
Some of us still have phones in warranty .. do you mean 3G's as well ?
Yep, so does GD. The benefits are awesome. Especially the phone is passed on to me after a year and I continue to reap the benefits

Jailbreaking has been ruled legal by the high court anyway. If the phone breaks then you simply restore it with itunes and apple is none the wiser.

Edit: more info here. In addition to that I like to use "Veency" It allows my iPhone to be on charge behind my bed whilst I work at my desk. If I want to use my phone then I simply control it from the computer, remote desktop stylee. Very useful
Old 23 January 2011, 19:44   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotchiguy View Post
Yep, so does GD. The benefits are awesome. Especially the phone is passed on to me after a year and I continue to reap the benefits

Jailbreaking has been ruled legal by the high court anyway. If the phone breaks then you simply restore it with itunes and apple is none the wiser.

Edit: more info here.
Cool .. but you know what the downside is then GD has a GPS fix on your keester where ever you go . I thought about implanting mine with homing devices .. but who needs 'em when you can give them an iphone
Old 23 January 2011, 19:53   #6
RIBnet supporter

RIBase
Quote:
Cool .. but you know what the downside is then GD has a GPS fix on your keester where ever you go . I thought about implanting mine with homing devices .. but who needs 'em when you can give them an iphone
Nein. I don't have it on mine 'cos when he had it he tried it and there were numerous flaws. Mainly I think 'cos he didn't set it up properly but I haven't tried it since.

He had it on a setting whereby it sent off its position every hour. When he turned it off overnight it turned back on again automatically so the battery was flat by the morning. If he had persevered he would simply have turned on the setting whereby the position is only sent when asked for by a computer. Unfortunately if the phone is turned off then it won't receive this request.
Old 23 January 2011, 20:03   #7
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
does the iPhone see satelites indoors?
Old 23 January 2011, 20:44   #8

Town: Southampton
Make: Ballistic
Engine: Yam 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
dont need to, they also get position from Cell towers (triangulating).
Old 23 January 2011, 21:14   #9
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starovich View Post
dont need to, they also get position from Cell towers (triangulating).
triangulation is not going to give you the WAAS type accuracy required to know which side of my house the phone is in as Bigmuz suggested. In fact last time I tried triangulation it didn't even have me in the right street never mind the right house.
Old 23 January 2011, 21:21   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotchiguy View Post
when he had it he tried it and there were numerous flaws. Mainly I think 'cos he didn't set it up properly but I haven't tried it since.He had it on a setting whereby it sent off its position every hour. When he turned it off overnight it turned back on again automatically so the battery was flat by the morning.
Jailbroken phones mine is a supported product and appears to work

Quote:
Starovich might have it .. but presumably apple and google talk to each other ..regardless of that, ive used other gps devices that work when you are reasonably close to a window so I assume yes

Due to the prevelance of all the gps tracking stuff that allows stolen cars to be found inside lockups and garages I'd also say yes ... or were you just testing me ? It may also just relay its last position via the mobile network .. who knows .. that works indoors ok afterall
Old 23 January 2011, 21:40   #11
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Due to the prevelance of all the gps tracking stuff that allows stolen cars to be found inside lockups and garages I'd also say yes ... or were you just testing me ? It may also just relay its last position via the mobile network .. who knows .. that works indoors ok afterall
No it was a genuine question. I've only got any real experience of Mrs P's smart phone which actually thinks it is about a mile and a half away from where it actually is at the moment (presumably with only one mast in sight "triangulation" is failing). She's no GPS signal without putting it on the window ledge, and even then its ropey (presumably depending on how many satellites are in the roughly 30% of the sky it will be able to see.

I'm quite guilty for losing my phone and if it could really narrow it down to a side of the building / house it would be helpful.
Old 23 January 2011, 22:14   #12

Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Engine: Etec 150
Quote:
I'm quite guilty for losing my phone and if it could really narrow it down to a side of the building / house it would be helpful.
I just ring mine and find it that way

Sent from my Computer, using a keyboard and mouse
BogMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2011, 23:48   #13

Town: Southampton
Make: Ballistic
Engine: Yam 225
Quote:
No it was a genuine question. I've only got any real experience of Mrs P's smart phone which actually thinks it is about a mile and a half away from where it actually is at the moment (presumably with only one mast in sight "triangulation" is failing). She's no GPS signal without putting it on the window ledge, and even then its ropey (presumably depending on how many satellites are in the roughly 30% of the sky it will be able to see.

Linky