Old 08 December 2009, 02:15   #1

Town: Punta gorda Fl.
Boat name: War Machine
Make: Falcon U.S.A.
Length: 9m +
Engine: twin 250 Yamaha
Feeling sentimental...

Don't know what's got me on this kick lately but I've been viewing old videos of Naval battleships, so much history... I am of course biased towards the American Iowa class battleships. Although that is not to slight the fans of the German, British or Japanese navy who also fielded fine ships. I find those equally impressive. Maybe its the gun nut in me, I'm not sure, although one thing IS sure... when this ship fires its guns... Whoa! One of these ships shows up off your shores? Bend over and kiss your ass goodbye. ONE 50 caliber round could penetrate 30 feet of concrete. Following is a link of the Wisconsin firing her main guns:
Old 08 December 2009, 02:29   #2

Iowa class battlewagons firing exercise

Although surpassed and by carriers and technology today nothing impresses quite like this, two Iowa class running the line:
Old 08 December 2009, 16:03   #3

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathalla View Post
ONE 50 caliber round could penetrate 30 feet of concrete.
Did you mean one 16 inch shell?

The Military Channel recently had a show on the battleships of WWII. Pretty interesting.

jky
Old 08 December 2009, 19:11   #4

Town: Cornwall
Length: no boat
Always been an admirer of old battleships too but wondered why the Iowa class were so slow compared to British battleships of the same age?
Old 08 December 2009, 19:20   #5

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kernow View Post
Always been an admirer of old battleships.
I've heard that.
Old 08 December 2009, 20:26   #6

Town: San Carlos, Mexico
Boat name: INDE
Make: LOMAC 730
Length: 7m +
Engine: 200 Merc.
MMSI: Please press 1
Send a message via Skype™ to Limey Linda
Just a great example of raw power. I have personal connections via family with the British ships. My Father was on HMS Ark Royal, flying a Swordfish during the sinking of the Bismark, his brother Dennis was on HMS Victorious that took part in the Bismark chase. Unfortunately his other, elder brother was on HMS Hood.
Great stuff Pat, thanks for posting
T.
Old 09 December 2009, 07:14   #7

Town: Hythe
Boat name: To be confirmed
Make: None
Engine: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollers View Post

I've heard that.
THAT was impeccably timed.

Pure genius.
Old 10 December 2009, 01:20   #8

Re: naval gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyasaki View Post
Did you mean one 16 inch shell?

The Military Channel recently had a show on the battleships of WWII. Pretty interesting.

jky
It is a 50 caliber 16 inch gun. Previous U.S. naval guns were .45 caliber 16 inch. Barrel length is fifty times the 16 inch bore, so it's a 16" 50 caliber gun.
A barrel better than twice the length of my boat... Sheesh!
Old 10 December 2009, 02:04   #9

Quote:
Always been an admirer of old battleships too but wondered why the Iowa class were so slow compared to British battleships of the same age?
The Iowa class battleships were intended to support the Essex class carriers (in addition to other duties) the U.S. was building at the time. they were to give close anti aircraft support to these carriers which also were pretty heavily gunned ( 5 in. 20, 40 mm) These battleships had to be fast enough to stay with the carriers and they were, normal operation being 31 knots to a theoretical high of 35 knots lightly loaded. Carriers made about 33 knots so the Iowas speed was adequate.
Compare this to the Yamato class (two ships) 27 knot speed and to the 28 knot speed of the King George class and you could hardly call the Iowa class
slow...
Britains planned Lion class battleship would have compared favorably with the U.S. ships but they were never completed. At the end of the war the carrier had changed Naval warfare forever...
Old 10 December 2009, 15:59   #10

Quote:
Compare this to the Yamato class (two ships) 27 knot speed and to the 28 knot speed of the King George class and you could hardly call the Iowa class
slow...
Oh...
Thanks for that Pat, I just assumed they were slow because it seemed to take them 2 years to cross the atlantic after the start of WW2!
Old 10 December 2009, 21:26   #11

Slow battlewagons

Quote:
Oh...
Thanks for that Pat, I just assumed they were slow because it seemed to take them 2 years to cross the atlantic after the start of WW2!
Touche! I stand corrected. It did take about that so I guess our ships WERE pretty slow... It took Pearl harbor to get things moving. It would have been great to have seen the Lion class battleships completed, what I have read looks impressive. They would have greatly shortened the Falklands conflict I think. Just imagine how it could have been in the gulf or elsewhere, with a coalition of U.S./British battleships pouring it on any unfortunate country that got in the way... Imagine the video, It would have been off the hook impressive. You just know that the powers that be would have gotten together and said: " Time to knock the rust off these battleships we have, let's do a naval exercise." We'll never know.
Would you happen to know how many British battleships or heavy cruisers are left? I know some where scrapped but hopefully not all, they really are historic ships in that they are the last of the line. I know of the Iowas two are now museum ships and the last two most likely will be shortly. All are stricken from the naval register but two are in kind of a grey area as they are supposedly still maintaining them.
Not sure how true that is.
Here's a link for my ribnet brethren across the pond outlining what Britain had in mind that sadly, never came to pass:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lion_class_battleship
A link to a lion class design drawing:http://www.chuckhawks.com/lion.jpg
Old 10 December 2009, 22:20   #12

Quote:
Touche! I stand corrected. It did take about that so I guess our ships WERE pretty slow... It took Pearl harbor to get things moving. It would have been great to have seen the Lion class battleships completed, what I have read looks impressive. They would have greatly shortened the Falklands conflict I think. Just imagine how it could have been in the gulf or elsewhere, with a coalition of U.S./British battleships pouring it on any unfortunate country that got in the way... Imagine the video, It would have been off the hook impressive. You just know that the powers that be would have gotten together and said: " Time to knock the rust off these battleships we have, let's do a naval exercise." We'll never know.
Would you happen to know how many British battleships or heavy cruisers are left? I know some where scrapped but hopefully not all, they really are historic ships in that they are the last of the line. I know of the Iowas two are now museum ships and the last two most likely will be shortly. All are stricken from the naval register but two are in kind of a grey area as they are supposedly still maintaining them.
Not sure how true that is.
You took that far too easily,I must try harder!

No battleships or heavy cruisers left at all, there was a bit of a clamour to preserve the RN's last battleship, Vanguard, but that came to nothing, other than that there's the Belfast, a 6" gun cruiser floating on the Thames and the old cruiser Aurora? which was sold to the Russians, they've kept it as a museum ship of their navy.
Google Royal Navy warships of 2009 and prepare to be seriously underwhelmed!
Old 10 December 2009, 22:36   #13

No battleships?

Quote:
You took that far too easily,I must try harder!

No battleships or heavy cruisers left at all, there was a bit of a clamour to preserve the RN's last battleship, Vanguard, but that came to nothing, other than that there's the Belfast, a 6" gun cruiser floating on the Thames and the old cruiser Aurora? which was sold to the Russians, they've kept it as a museum ship of their navy.
Google Royal Navy warships of 2009 and prepare to be seriously underwhelmed!
You have just seriously ruined my day, none left? What in God's name were the politicians thinking? The U.S. IS the bastion of short sighted non cultural, forget the past, Mcdonalds, Walmart, vanilla corporate brands, tear down any building over 70 yrs old etc etc. I had hopes of some day visiting the historic ww2 ships of Britain and what? World War two was only the largest conflict humanity has had, I would also argue that historically, worldwide, Britain has the greatest legacy of warship building and they didn't save one? That is sad and I am sorry to hear of it. It definitely sucks!!!
Old 11 December 2009, 02:08   #14

Town: San Carlos, Mexico
Boat name: INDE
Make: LOMAC 730
Length: 7m +
Engine: 200 Merc.
MMSI: Please press 1
Send a message via Skype™ to Limey Linda
Still got HMS Victory and thats a keeper.