Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Fedex

I recently returned my GoPro to the US when it developed a fault, it was bought from Amazon uk VAT paid. It cost £12.68 to send it by Royal Mail international signed for. The customs declaration stated "Faulty Returned Goods." GoPro duly replaced the camera & sent it back via Fedex, the customs declaration stated "warranty repairs value 0$" I collected the package from the Fedex depot in Sheffield, no problem. This week I have received an invoice from Fedex for £20 for "ancilliary fees" I've queried this, & get this, Because the package didn't have any duty owing on it, Fedexs' automated handling system couldn't process it, so it had to be manually processed, the costs of which are £20 & this is passed to the consignee (me).
Basically what they are saying is that because they didn't have to do any extra work in collecting HMRC duty, they want another £20 for doing bugger all. If duty had been owed, they would have charged a "handling fee" for collecting it, I'm guessing that the handling fee would have been £20 quid. They charged GoPro $29 for delivering from the US & they want another £20 off me for not collecting the duty. I don't think so.

Watch this space
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2012, 12:54   #2

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
I recently returned my GoPro to the US when it developed a fault, it was bought from Amazon uk VAT paid. It cost £12.68 to send it by Royal Mail international signed for. The customs declaration stated "Faulty Returned Goods." GoPro duly replaced the camera & sent it back via Fedex, the customs declaration stated "warranty repairs value 0$" I collected the package from the Fedex depot in Sheffield, no problem. This week I have received an invoice from Fedex for £20 for "ancilliary fees" I've queried this, & get this, Because the package didn't have any duty owing on it, Fedexs' automated handling system couldn't process it, so it had to be manually processed, the costs of which are £20 & this is passed to the consignee (me).
Basically what they are saying is that because they didn't have to do any extra work in collecting HMRC duty, they want another £20 for doing bugger all. If duty had been owed, they would have charged a "handling fee" for collecting it, I'm guessing that the handling fee would have been £20 quid. They charged GoPro $29 for delivering from the US & they want another £20 off me for not collecting the duty. I don't think so.

Watch this space
I would'nt Either!!!.....'Monty Python' Springs to mind

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2012, 13:38   #3

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
I would'nt Either!!!.....'Monty Python' Springs to mind
Just had a reply from Fedex, the £20 is to cover their "expenses" I've sent them a reply stating that's what I assumed the $29 they charged GoPro was for.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Old 12 October 2012, 13:39   #4

Town: Ashton-under-Lyne Lancs
Boat name: IMOGEN
Make: Air-Craft 5.4
Engine: Suzuki df70a
MMSI: 235087492
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to kerny
Must be nice having a lawyer on tap PD
Old 12 October 2012, 13:43   #5

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerny View Post
Must be nice having a lawyer on tap PD
I've not had to invoke the secret weapon yet. I'm still on my own with this one. I only bring her out on "special" occaisions
Old 12 October 2012, 19:25   #6

Town: A large rock
Boat name: La Frette
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200 Suzzy
It seems a bit odd that they are trying to charge you after the event. Most companies won't deliver until the dues are paid. Did they warn you before delivering that there would be a handling charge?
Erin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2012, 20:47   #7

Town: LONDON
Make: SR4/ZODIAC/3D
Length: 4m +
Engine: 30T/40T
If you weren't informed of the extra payment "due" and you have received your goods in accordance with the agreement then you are not liable for any fees.
You can of course invoice them for the time taken to repackage your goods and the inconvenience caused arising from the fault, the former would be to FEDEX and the latter to GoPro. GoPro wouldn't have an issue and neither would you with them because they have acted within their warranty claims which were clearly stated. FEDEX can whistle. You can immediately counterclaim for stress and worry caused by unnecessary and unexpected claims for money that is not owed. Unless this is in the small print which you did not read but ticked the box saying "I agree" to the conditions. Anyway, even that won't stand up in court as I bet not even the judge reads the small print.
Argue the toss.
Old 12 October 2012, 21:25   #8

Town: Sydney
Boat name: Lunasea
Make: Ribtec 890SX
Length: 8m +
Engine: Yamaha ME 421STI x 2
I no longer use FedEx as they always find something to add, usually before they allow me to collect my goods.
Old 12 October 2012, 23:48   #9

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by mister p View Post
If you weren't informed of the extra payment "due" and you have received your goods in accordance with the agreement then you are not liable for any fees.
You can of course invoice them for the time taken to repackage your goods and the inconvenience caused arising from the fault, the former would be to FEDEX and the latter to GoPro. GoPro wouldn't have an issue and neither would you with them because they have acted within their warranty claims which were clearly stated. FEDEX can whistle. You can immediately counterclaim for stress and worry caused by unnecessary and unexpected claims for money that is not owed. Unless this is in the small print which you did not read but ticked the box saying "I agree" to the conditions. Anyway, even that won't stand up in court as I bet not even the judge reads the small print.
Argue the toss.
Argue the toss, me, never!
I didn't choose Fedex as the carrier to return the goods, GoPro did. They paid their $29 & sent the goods. I didn't agree to anything as I didn't have a contract with them(Fedex). Apparently Fedex charge a handling fee if they have to collect any HMRC duty. If no duty is payable they have to "manually process" the item as their automated system can't handle non-duty goods, this incurs a charge of £20. Ergo, it's not possible to send a package from the US to the UK without Fedex charging additional fees.
I have sent Fedex an email stating that they entered into a contract with GoPro to deliver a package from the US to the UK for an agreed fee of $29. The package has been delivered & the contract concluded. To try & charge me £20 after the fact is underhand & smacks of sharp practice, they can go & My next move is to inform GoPro of the situation & try to persuade them not to use Fedex for shipments to the UK, Saying that, I would be surprised if other carriers didn't try the same tactics.
Old 13 October 2012, 08:57   #10
RIBnet supporter

Town: Peel, IOM
Length: no boat
RIBase
Well I just sent back to GoPro USA my remote switch. It cost me under a fiver to send it to them. When they returned it, by a courier company, it was delivered free to me, but GoPro got charged $64 !!!!!!! for sending it. $64 for sending a tiny remote switch!!
Anyway it was free to me (so was the repair).
I AM NOT GOING TO PAY ANY SUBSEQUENT INVOICE I MIGHT GET.
And BTW, the courier company they used was not Fedex-I wonder why?
Old 13 October 2012, 11:55   #11
Dhf

Well I was going to buy a go pro for next season, but judging by all the returned models that I've read about over the past months, I think i'll look else where.
As for fedex,,,What a cheeky bunch of money grabin beeeeepers.
All the best with that one PD
Old 13 October 2012, 12:30   #12

Town: west mids /tywyn
Boat name: HAWK
Make: RIBCRAFT/ Suzuki 250
Length: 7m +
Engine: Tohatsu 3.8/15hpsuzi
MMSI: 235086594
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonhawk ficht
Well I was going to buy a go pro for next season, but judging by all the returned models that I've read about over the past months, I think i'll look else where.
As for fedex,,,What a cheeky bunch of money grabin beeeeepers.
All the best with that one PD
Take a Look at the drift hd cameras... Plenty of choices around
B.S. LEADER
tony t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2012, 12:39   #13

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
I've had invoices on more than one occasion from international parcel firms sent for various "extra charges" and i've never paid one yet i always argue the toss stating all customs charges etc were paid prior or upon delivery & every time they gave up chaseing me I think they just try it on & if you pay then all well & good but they know if they tried to enforce these charges they would be on a sticky whicket tell em where to go!!! politely of course!!!

one thing though if you bought from amazon why not return to them? surely they are the retailer and therefore liable for the warranty (or was it bought from a us seller)
Old 04 November 2012, 09:57   #14

RIBase
Just to close this one out, I got this last week:-

Good Afternoon

RE: 544xxxxxxx

Thank you for your query regarding the above invoice.

We can confirm that we have now completed our investigations and are pleased to advise that a full credit of £20.00 has been raised, leaving this invoice with a zero balance.

If you have any further queries, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Yours sincerely
Shayne Freeman
FedEx Customer Relations – UK & Ireland ================================================== ================
This email is added to this query because it references this Query Number in the subject.
================================================== =====================
Reply Ids : <>
Sent : 10/12/2012 3:05:51 PM
Received : 10/12/2012 3:06:03 PM
To : INVHELP@fedex.com
Subject : RE: Query 02
Reply To :

I am confused, if you need £20 to cover your expenses, what was the $29 for that you charged the sender? You appear to be charging twice for the same service. When I sent the original package via Royal Mail, the cost was £12.68 total. No hidden charges.

-----Original Message-----
Sent: 12 October 2012 13:54
To:
Subject: Query

Reference Invoice 5-448-5xxxxx

Thank you for your e-mail.

This charge is only to cover our expenses.

If we had not cleared this on your behalf you would have to pay a broker to do it which would delay the delivery and cost you more.

I trust this explains the charge and we look forward to receiving payment.

Regards

Cliff Fletcher
Old 04 November 2012, 10:15   #15

Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Engine: Etec 150
Persistence pays off

Sent from my Computer, using a keyboard and mouse
BogMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 November 2012, 10:44   #16

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
Well done Shayne.
Old 04 November 2012, 12:26   #17

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Bubbas Bouy
Length: 7m +
Engine: Mercruiser
RIBase
The ckeeky little feckers, .

It never ceases to amaze me the sharp practice some surposedly reputable large companies try. I wonder how many people just pay the £20 and dont argue.......... Not enough for sure

Well done for not letting them rip you off!!shame you can charge them for your time in resolving it.
Old 04 November 2012, 12:42   #18
RIBnet supporter

Town: Hants
Length: 8m +
Engine: 300hp plus
This is an area I recently was spammed for. I ordered a phone booster and was sent from HK and Fedex delivered it very quickly(four days). I signed for package with Fedex delivery and then three/fours weeks on I got an invoice for VAT around £54. I have paid it as I am registered for VAT and will get paid back but I did assume I had been done and if it had been my cash without a reclaim option I would have challenged them also
Old 05 November 2012, 15:10   #19

Town: Exmouth, Devon
Quote:
Originally Posted by C2 RIBS View Post
I got an invoice for VAT around £54. I have paid it as I am registered for VAT and will get paid back but I did assume I had been done and if it had been my cash without a reclaim option I would have challenged them also
Different matter for VAT. It wouldn't apply to a returned repair item but does for new goods. If it's identified by HMRC or the carrier as VATable then it's payable and it all goes to HMRC. You might choose to only pay the VAT element if there were handling charges in there as well.

Personal imports from non-EU countries are subject to duty and VAT unfortunately.