Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > Other stuff
Click Here to Login

Old 22 September 2015, 16:29   #1

Length: 7m +
Fantastic offers around on VW cars

Great offers around on VW Diesel cars, great emissions and great miles per gallon........if you only intend driving on a rolling road test bed in a vehicle emissions testing facility ...LOL

If I had a VW diesel car it would be for sale right now, its funny how if you defraud someone you end up in jail but if your a large company you just say sorry and thats suppossed to be OK LOL
Old 22 September 2015, 16:50   #2

Town: Bristol
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha
I wonder how its going to affect car tax and co car tax etc moving forward... if the emmissions are lower in the USA the EU. surely questions were due to be asked.
And who else has been up to tricks?
Old 22 September 2015, 16:51   #3

Town: CA
Make: Zodiac RIB-P
Length: 7m +
Engine: Suzuki 250
why get rid of it? They get good mileage and work just the same as they did last week. They don't drive any different today than they did last week. Most people I know have been very happy with them. the only people the defrauded were the government. The fix might screw them all up but that's yet to be determined. Also I am sure the resale values had gone in the toilet so dumping a perfectly good machine at a huge loss because of something they did to somebody else seems odd. I have no love for the EPA and California air quality board, most of what they do seems to lack any scientific basis.

as I don't own a VW but my biggest gripe is they they probably just killed diesel in the USA. It was already just a niche fuel, other than for our (my) giant pickup trucks, but this is probably the last straw for consumer vehicles. Now we just have the ridiculous hybrid crap.

Jason
Old 22 September 2015, 16:54   #4

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
Quote:
Originally Posted by boristhebold View Post
...its funny how if you defraud someone you end up in jail but if your a large company you just say sorry and thats suppossed to be OK LOL
Not sure how OK a $18billion fine in the US alone is and a collapse in VW share values.
Old 22 September 2015, 16:55   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtalljv View Post
why get rid of it? They get good mileage and work just the same as they did last week.
Absolutely! If mugs want out of VWs, it's a good time to buy.

Let's wait a see which other manufacturers have been at it. There may be a heap of cars going cheap.
Old 22 September 2015, 16:59   #6

Town: southampton
Make: ribeye
Length: 6m +
Engine: 140 suzuki
Another BP, but this time the Germans will be paying - until they squeak.
Old 22 September 2015, 17:12   #7

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
I have a VW transporter T32 4motion 180ps Auto. It does between 35-42mpg depending on urban or motorway. It's permanently loaded up to within 200kg of its MGW, I'd buy another tomorrow. Hopefully they might be cheaper
Apparently it's only one of the VW engines that's involved, don't know which one yet, but it'll all come out. I'd bet there are some twitchy CEOs of car manufacturers across the world at the mo. I'm willing to bet VW aren't alone. It'd be sooooo sweet if Ford & GM were next to be caught out.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2015, 18:21   #8

Town: Wakefield
Boat name: Bouncer
Make: Redbay Stormforce
Length: 6m +
Engine: 2x Honda 100 Hp
MMSI: 235025718
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
I have a VW transporter T32 4motion 180ps Auto. It does between 35-42mpg depending on urban or motorway. It's permanently loaded up to within 200kg of its MGW, I'd buy another tomorrow. Hopefully they might be cheaper
Apparently it's only one of the VW engines that's involved, don't know which one yet, but it'll all come out. I'd bet there are some twitchy CEOs of car manufacturers across the world at the mo. I'm willing to bet VW aren't alone. It'd be sooooo sweet if Ford & GM were next to be caught out.

Better get your order in now Dave before the price goes up when they pay the fines
Old 22 September 2015, 18:47   #9

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
200kg!!!?????.....
..missing a zero there Dave surly!!

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2015, 18:56   #10

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Quote:
Originally Posted by ribber View Post
Another BP, but this time the Germans will be paying - until they squeak.
My thoughts exactly!....I wonder when the U.S. Will start testing thier own "world class" Ve-Hic-als quite so .."Exhaustively!!??..(
or thier Oil industry for that matter!)

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2015, 19:00   #11

Town: bedford
Make: tornado
Engine: outboard 60hp merc
Good job my smoke generating old Merc OB wasn't made by VW. That probably generates more smoke in a good day out than a VW does in a lifetime!

What a shame, great cars.

Dave j
Old 22 September 2015, 19:36   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by davej View Post
What a shame, great cars.
Still are. My whole blimmin' family drive 'em. Apart from me, I'm such a rebel.
Old 22 September 2015, 21:37   #13

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
There are a couple of posts on the NYTimes about the number of people that are likely to be involved in this industrial fraud, and it simply can't be a handful of software engineers. Let's just say if Volkswagen was hooked up to an ECG machine it should be flatlining.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	108843  
Old 22 September 2015, 22:52   #14
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by spartacus View Post
There are a couple of posts on the NYTimes about the number of people that are likely to be involved in this industrial fraud, and it simply can't be a handful of software engineers. Let's just say if Volkswagen was hooked up to an ECG machine it should be flatlining.
Really? The consumer doesn't actually care about emissions, they might care a bit about fuel economy but don't believe manufacturers figures anyway. Is it the manufacturer who has manipulated his engine to the extreme to achieve the required standard or the test/standard developer who is at fault for producing an artificial test that is easy to scam? It's difficult to believe that nobody in the standards world was not aware of the risk people were optimising engines for the official test rather than real performance. VW just took it one step further.
Old 22 September 2015, 23:35   #15

Town: Birmingham
Boat name: Sparrowhawk
Make: Osprey
Engine: Yamaha 90hp 2T
I like my golf gtd and this don't change a thing.

My only worry is if it has a knock on to the company car tax costs

If prices are dropping tho I may have to go on the look for a t5
Old 23 September 2015, 05:56   #16

Town: Huisnes sur Mer
Boat name: Raufoss
Make: Avon
Engine: Mercury 50
Made me chuckle...

Simon
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FB_IMG_1442987657086.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	40.3 KB
ID:	108845  
Old 23 September 2015, 06:46   #17

Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
Really? The consumer doesn't actually care about emissions, they might care a bit about fuel economy but don't believe manufacturers figures anyway. Is it the manufacturer who has manipulated his engine to the extreme to achieve the required standard or the test/standard developer who is at fault for producing an artificial test that is easy to scam? It's difficult to believe that nobody in the standards world was not aware of the risk people were optimising engines for the official test rather than real performance. VW just took it one step further.
There is a little bit of a difference from saying at 1500* revs the emissions need to be spot on to pass a test but at 1450 and 1550 they would fail, but the test asks for 1500 exactly so we will tweak the engine design to pass. We all know they have almost all done that. (Although when I bought my Ssangyong they specifically said they had not tried to create an engine to pass emmissions tests at the loss of power - so perhaps not everyone has). While that means the test is meaningless it does mean if I could drive everywhere at 1500 revs I would be getting those emissions.

However, what VW have done is identified that the test is happening through some sensors. Apparently if you believe the tinternet in the past people have done things like have a bonnet open sensor that activates more efficient emissions at a loss of power or loss of engine protection as the test is only for a few minutes, or sensing that the drive wheels are turning but not the others so it must be on a rolling road and modifying exhaust use. These aren't conditions that can ever be replicated on the road. That is DISHONEST rather than working to manipulate the standard.

*my made up standard
Old 23 September 2015, 06:53   #18

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
The EPA rules state-side as I understand them are 8 times stricter than equivalent EU emissions tests. Volkswagen wanted to sell their 'clean' diesel TDI technology to US consumers interested in saving money by improving economy over traditional gasoline or hybrid cars. The trouble with diesel is you pay a premium for the car, and the saving comes a number of years down the line depending on overall mileage.

Volkswagen could give customers cars that had great economy, performance and engine durability, but not all the same time, and because they couldn't stay within strict EPA emissions, they installed the code. The TDI engines could achieve the emissions test, but it compromised durability, performance, and economy, as the engines had to run hotter.

The worrying thing is it took a clean air group and a team from West Virginia University to conduct their own tests to reveal this.

From 2017 the emissions and fuel efficiency figures for new cars will have to include real world driving, so expect the fuel efficiency to drop like a stone.
Old 23 September 2015, 07:25   #19

Town: portsmouth
Boat name: Hullabaloo
Make: Humber
Length: 8m +
Engine: 225 Optimax
RIBase
Hi, I can hear the Treasury calculating an income opportunity

How long do we think before the letter drops through your door telling you that "you have been driving a vehicle with higher emmissions than your road tax allows - we have calculated your shortfall in road tax to be £ ...........?

Steve
Old 23 September 2015, 07:37   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Run View Post
Hi, I can hear the Treasury calculating an income opportunity

How long do we think before the letter drops through your door telling you that "you have been driving a vehicle with higher emmissions than your road tax allows - we have calculated your shortfall in road tax to be £ ...........?

Steve
If that were the case, which it won't be, the 1000s VW then hit VW with a bill.

VW misled the US government and probably a heap of other governments.
There's the beef, not VW v owners.