Originally Posted by codprawn
Yes it was actually the best thing that could have ever happened to the Argies - they had democracy again.
As to it being an over reaction Mr Luxton may not be posting from the FALKLANDS if we hadn't reacted as we did!!!
As to who owns the islands it IS a very complex matter - maybe the thoughts and wishes of the people who actually LIVE there should be taken as the most important? In that case it's well and truly BRITISH!!!
Correct on 1 & 2, would never have got back under Argentine rule.
As for the third point, it's actually quite simple.
1) Britain discovered the Falklands
2) Britain made the first landing here
3) While Britain, Spain and France all had, and abandoned, colonies at different times, Britain was the country that finally settled permanently and we have had 173 years of continuous British reign apart from ten weeks twenty-five years ago
4) We speak English, have the Queen on our stamps and currency (which are pounds and pence), drive on the left hand side of the road in right hand drive vehicles, sing the British national anthem on the Queens birthday (which is a public holiday, obviously), have red telephone boxes and a red Royal Mail letterbox outside the post office, use 240V mains, BT telephone sockets and PAL televisions.
5) Most (native) people here are of British descent, eight generations in some cases.
6) We have nothing in common with any of the languages, cultures, political values or in fact anything at all with any of the countries in South America nor does anybody want to. Well there are a handful of nutters but it takes all sorts to make a world!
Pretty clear cut really