Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
EzyBoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kennett View Post
And finally . . .

. . . it's not a RIB, but I just had to include the EzyBoat. For the ultimate convenience it's a folding boat with an integral road trailer. Why hasn't anyone thought of this before?!
Apart from possibly requiring less storage space on your driveway I'm struggling to see any advantage... and can imagine some serious headaches in terms of trailer longevity, servicing bearings etc is going to be tricky with them tucked in under the boat and it can't do them any good being soaked all the time.
Old 11 September 2010, 10:02   #2
Administrator

Town: Brighton
So you don't see it revolutionising boating as we know it?
Old 11 September 2010, 11:50   #3
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Quote:
Nah - not unless they do it in baby blue with a tan interior - then anything is possible!
Old 11 September 2010, 13:44   #4
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Quote:
A bloke that I know had one similar. His had a little mast too, adding a squirt of rag flappery into the already foetid mix...

He used it for fishing for mackerel off the beach for a season. No sign of it since
Old 11 September 2010, 17:06   #5

Town: Poole
Boat name: Snapper
Make: EzyBoat
Engine: Outboard petrol
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
Apart from possibly requiring less storage space on your driveway I'm struggling to see any advantage... and can imagine some serious headaches in terms of trailer longevity, servicing bearings etc is going to be tricky with them tucked in under the boat and it can't do them any good being soaked all the time.
Hi guys, this is Sascha from EzyBoat. It's great to see you talk about our boat.

No need to worry about the trailer longevity. It's all hot galvanised or stainless steel throughout, except for the bearings of course. Look after them and they last, or neglect them and they will break quickly. Their exposure to the water is the same as with any boat trailer. They are above the water line when they are retracted into the boat.

Advantages... well, as you never separate boat from trailer you can launch it single-handedly in a matter of minutes, you tow a very small trailer, you can sail and cruise with the same, and on the road you can transport around 200kg of luggage inside it. I'd say that's quite a few advantages.

Let me know if you have any questions. We're at stand A016 if you want to come along and see the boat for yourself.
Old 11 September 2010, 17:19   #6

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Engine: Honda BF50
Hi Sascha, brace yourself for the 'trade' invitation.

Or for Polwart to piddle all over your strawberries.
Old 11 September 2010, 17:25   #7
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Quote:
Originally Posted by SG_EzyBoat View Post
Hi guys, this is Sascha from EzyBoat. It's great to see you talk about our boat.

No need to worry about the trailer longevity. It's all hot galvanised or stainless steel throughout, except for the bearings of course. Look after them and they last, or neglect them and they will break quickly. Their exposure to the water is the same as with any boat trailer. They are above the water line when they are retracted into the boat.
Sascha, thanks for your response. Most people here's trailers are galvanised but don't last forever; moreover people routinely rinse their trailers in fresh water - something that will be difficult to do easily with the "hidden parts" inside your hull. My trailer also drips dry when not in use whereas parts of your's would appear to be enclosed so sitting "damp" for longer. When innevitable a bearing needs replaced or even a wheel changed at the roadside is that as easy on yours as mine (I haven't seen and "road level" shots of the wheel mechanism).

I've seen enough seized jockey wheels to know that bits that wind up and down are innevitably a source of problems on marine trailers. Bits that are "out of sight" are probably more likely to be neglected. The obvious answer is TLC - but on that basis most things would last "forever" when in fact we all know we live in a "thow away" society, and come to expect minimal maintainence.
Quote:
Advantages... well, as you never separate boat from trailer you can launch it single-handedly in a matter of minutes, you tow a very small trailer, you can sail and cruise with the same, and on the road you can transport around 200kg of luggage inside it. I'd say that's quite a few advantages.
I'm not suggesting there isn't a very specific niche for someone who wants a very short trailer with a "lid". But I can launch single handed in a matter of minutes - and there are people here who are much more efficient at it than me. Feel free to bring your boat to Scotland and we can have a race, to both launch and recover. I can also (and regularly do) carry load in the boat on its trailer - when I go on holiday that will be 3 or 4 bikes - you'll not fit them in your "box".

Good luck with it - I'm sure there are some people who have a specific storage problem or are intimidated by launch / recovery / towing who might see the appeal but I can't see it revolutionising boating for many people.
Old 11 September 2010, 19:06   #8

Town: Leeds
Boat name: Bam Bam
Make: Zodiac YL-380-DL
Engine: Outboard, petrol, 40
Thanks Polwart... My ribs are killing me. I look forward to most of your your post's as they are usually very informative or extremely funny (Wilk will be along soon). They really brighten my day so keep it up mate. Oh, just by way of an experiment, next time I launch the rib I'm going to leave it strapped to the trailer with the lighting board and everything attached, including the car... With luggage. That will make for a real quick slip and easy recovery I'm sure!
Old 11 September 2010, 20:18   #9
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bam Bam View Post
(Wilk will be along soon)
You make me sound like the 9A to Little Twittering on the Nett.

Old 11 September 2010, 22:55   #10
Administrator

Town: Brighton
...and here you are, bang on time

Fares please!
Old 11 September 2010, 23:03   #11
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
...and here you are, bang on time

Fares please!
Sorry boss, didn't think I'd catch you of all people...

That'll be one and sixpence please
Old 12 September 2010, 16:17   #12

Town: Fareham
Length: 6m +
I think the concept is genius. It's not going to be everyones cup of tea, but it's not going to be aimed at these people....Is it?

Only time will tell if this becomes successful. I'm sure that for the occasional boater that would like the freedom to cruise rivers and canals, doesn't have the space to park a full size boat and has a Garage then this would be Ideal.

Good luck at the show and if I manage to get down there next weekend, I'll look you up and say hello. In the mean time I'll keep my eye on the local TV stations as the boat show is normally featured and unusual/innovative offerings can sometimes make an appearance.

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2010, 16:36   #13

Town: Girvan & Tayvallich
Boat name: Breawatch
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mercury 150 F/stroke
MMSI: ex directory!!
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
You make me sound like the 9A to Little Twittering on the Nett.

Naw youv'e just got an adoring public or maybr thr 'X' factor!!
j
Member of SABS ( Scottish West Division)
jambo is offline   Reply With Quote