Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 16 October 2009, 04:37   #1
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 8,841
Eco Wood Furnace

I need to gen-up on high efficiency domestic wood furnaces to heat our place. I have access to woodland and no longer wish to be held to ransom by Opec.
Anyone have one, know anthing about them, or can reccomend a good Eco forum? Thanks and let the p*** take commence.
__________________

__________________
Mollers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2009, 06:07   #2
Member
 
chewy's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Up Norf
Make: Avon SR4,Tremlett 23
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yam 55, Volvo 200
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 5,217
I've just ordered a Charnwood stove and my Dad has also fitted one, think its about 76% efficient.
He buys kiln dried logs but if you have access to a forest split the logs and leave them to dry for about 2 years. They burn cleaner and hotter then.
I'm getting a multifuel one so I can also burn peat etc.

We looked at cheaper ones but the quality on the Charnwood is excellent.

He has a decent size room and a gas fire, all the radiators on plus a oil filled heater wouldn't heat the room. The woodburner with a couple of logs on keeps it warm with the door left open.

I think wood burning stoves are the way forward, they burn cleaner than open fires and some can be used in smokeless zones. One web site pointed out that its more environmentally friendly to use the stoves than gas but most council won't admit that the smokeless zones were a bad idea.

Have fun looking.
__________________

__________________
chewy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2009, 10:57   #3
Member
 
Maximus's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,271
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollers View Post
I need to gen-up on high efficiency domestic wood furnaces to heat our place. I have access to woodland and no longer wish to be held to ransom by Opec.
Anyone have one, know anthing about them, or can reccomend a good Eco forum? Thanks and let the p*** take commence.
Well me old China,I've had 'Woodburners' for along time, and went over to the Biggest 'Clearview' they do a few years ago, [15000 btu's if memory serves] mine runs 12 rads.. and all the hot water I need![Basicly ALL upstairs heating]and very easy to run and control.A big pluss of course, is you can also enjoy the real fire!In my last property I had an oil fired furnace which was a pain..and expensive!.. and I'd never go back.
I too own some woodland behind my house but still have to stock up with bought logs from time to time.IF,you CAN get away with a Woodburner you won't beat the 'Clearview',like most things British, not the cheapest but pretty much the best! No P.T.
And if you don't think 15000 btu's is enough for you ,you could do as my neighbour did[who lives in 1.5 million coverted Mill]... Buy two!
__________________
A clever Man learns by his mistakes..
A Wise Man learns by other people's!

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2009, 11:16   #4
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 8,841
I may have confused things a little. I'm looking at wood fired boilers along these lines. http://www.eco-link.co.uk/biomass_th..._domestic.html

Not woodchip or pellet though, I need to bung split logs in it.
__________________
Mollers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2009, 11:59   #5
Member
 
HUMBER P4VWL's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: N Wales Chester
Boat name: Mr Smith
Make: Humber
Length: 6m +
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 5,013
clearview

I agree, Clearview every time, my mate is a tree surgeon and has tried many a burner over the years. He has 4 clearview in each of his rooms. I got one two years ago, awesome. Burns coal, pellets, logs, wood, compressed shavings etc They are really controllable and the air that comes down the glass door means it doesnt smoke up, meaning you can still see the fire. Many cheaper ones wont last that long and the glass smokes up in minutes. Still gives out heat but looks poo.

More expensive than many other brands, but my god, well worth it. You can turn them right down and run logs 24/7. I stick a log on at 10pm then come down at 6.30 and stick another on. The dog doesnt move the whole time!!

PS Get a heat powered fan that sits on the top to blow the hot air across the room and circulate the heat. Most decent shops or canal barge places sell them. The barges are long and shallow so they need to move the heat laterally, unlike a house where it can go vertically and heat upstairs before bed time.
__________________
HUMBER P4VWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2009, 12:31   #6
RIBnet admin team
 
willk's Avatar
 
Country: Ireland
Make: Redbay Boats
Length: 9m +
Engine: 370hp
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 12,925
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollers View Post
I have access to woodland
Translation: The owner forgets to lock the gate?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollers View Post
Thanks and let the p*** take commence.
Yr welcome
__________________
willk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2009, 12:59   #7
RIBnet admin team
 
Poly's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 10,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollers View Post
I may have confused things a little. I'm looking at wood fired boilers along these lines. http://www.eco-link.co.uk/biomass_th..._domestic.html

Not woodchip or pellet though, I need to bung split logs in it.
I knew exactly what you were talking about as an associate of mine is thinking of doing the same. He has woodland but is also trying to work out the best type of wood to plant and copice so that he has a long term sustainable source of heat. Unfortunately he's no further on than you at selecting the right unit so I can't really be of much help.

Quote:
no longer wish to be held to ransom by Opec.
steam powered rib and 4x4 then too?
__________________
Poly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2009, 13:36   #8
Member
 
Maximus's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,271
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Quote:
Originally Posted by HUMBER P4VWL View Post
I agree, Clearview every time, my mate is a tree surgeon and has tried many a burner over the years. He has 4 clearview in each of his rooms. I got one two years ago, awesome. Burns coal, pellets, logs, wood, compressed shavings etc They are really controllable and the air that comes down the glass door means it doesnt smoke up, meaning you can still see the fire. Many cheaper ones wont last that long and the glass smokes up in minutes. Still gives out heat but looks poo.

More expensive than many other brands, but my god, well worth it. You can turn them right down and run logs 24/7. I stick a log on at 10pm then come down at 6.30 and stick another on. The dog doesnt move the whole time!!

PS Get a heat powered fan that sits on the top to blow the hot air across the room and circulate the heat. Most decent shops or canal barge places sell them. The barges are long and shallow so they need to move the heat laterally, unlike a house where it can go vertically and heat upstairs before bed time.
Make you right about the heat powered fan!Had to have one when I saw it! Still cant suss out how that thing works!! But it surely does a job.
Apparently invented by a Canadian liveing in a cabin one long winter...who is now a multi millionaire!!
__________________
A clever Man learns by his mistakes..
A Wise Man learns by other people's!

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2009, 14:41   #9
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 6,298
Quote:
Originally Posted by HUMBER P4VWL View Post
..... my mate is a tree surgeon....
I always wanted to be a tree surgeon........








.......but I couldn't stand the sight of sap.
__________________
Downhilldai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2009, 14:41   #10
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 12,791
Woodburners are ONLY viable if the wood is FREE - if you pay for it don't bother!!!

They are a potential environmental disaster - it is NOT good to breathe in all those particulates - ie smoke.

Heat powered fans were prob invented by Hero of Alexandria many moons ago. Some modern ones use the Stirling engine which was invented by Robert Stirling in the 1800s. Others prob use the peltier effect.

I have used a woodburner for years now - it is scary how much wood they consume. I have rigged up an inline fan with tumble drier hose ducting to suck the heat from the kitchen ceiling and spread it around the house. I also use a normal electric desk fan blowing through the kitchen door - makes a hell of a difference.

It is vital the flue runs right through the house to minimise heat loss.

The screw feed systems rely on uniform woodchips - if they are damp then it keeps clogging - I have seen several expensive commercial systems that remain idle because the wood is never dry enough in the UK.

I have a normal woodburner with a back boiler.

If you want something really powerful and pretty automatic look at these.


http://www.centralboiler.com/



Some of them are over 500,000 btu - great for heating a swimming pool as well.
__________________

__________________
www.speedshift.co.uk
codprawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:05.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.