Old 07 September 2012, 16:20   #31
Town: Sussex
Make: RIBTEC 655
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yam 150
Yup, and let's not forget the extra 3% they charge for using PayPal - and guess what, they've stuck their "head office" in Luxembourg so avoid paying and tax in the UK - so good on anyone who manages to screw them back.

thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 September 2012, 16:42   #32
RIBnet admin team
Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
Originally Posted by Hightower View Post
Did you actually read my post? I want an apology please!
Andy, sorry ! the was meant to show I agreed with your and Nasher's posts.
Poly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 September 2012, 17:04   #33
Make: Zodiac Mk I
Engine: 15 hp Yam two stroke
Originally Posted by Poly;
Its an auction, it goes to the highest bidder at the end. If you don't want to sell that way use a different format. If you don't want to use ebay's services to advertise to a UK (or world) wide audience then you don't have to - if they are the "best" that is available then pay for the service they provide and don't complain if they change the rules to stop people 'fee dodging'.

The site has incredible reach and never let me down. As in a lot of things,its the few who ruin it for the majority.
Boatnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 September 2012, 17:13   #34
Originally Posted by Poly
which is against the ebay rules: Ending Your Listing Early
and always has been! Its an auction. If you want to sell via multiple routes use a Classified / Best Offer approach. The concept of an auction where the seller can withdraw undermines the system.

You can advertise on here by pointing people to your ebay ad. You see we are not precious because we don't charge any fees!
Its not an 'extra' fee, you agree to the fee upfront or, on the otherhand, their users are just taking the mickey and using the advertising prowess of ebay with no serious intent of completing the transaction on ebay. I'd guess this is a particular problem with cars, boats, bikes etc where people need to collect, its high value (so high fees) and often people want to test/inspect. Ebay's pricing model is based on a fee for the ad and then a fee for 'success' if you cut them out the success but still sell that seems unreasonable to me. I note they are allowing people to do it once per annum without penalty anyway so it really is for those trying to circumvent the system.

Well not much point moaning here - ebay aren't regular visitors! However are other people not allowed a different view? The best way to convince any corporation you don't like their pricing is to stop paying them. If you want their services accept their pricing or find an alternative.

maybe you could set up your own auction site, invest in its development, market it and run it - and offer lower prices?

You are Pierre Omidyar and I claim my prize! Oh dear.....
Salty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 September 2012, 17:54   #35
Town: Fareham
Length: 6m +
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
Andy, sorry ! the was meant to show I agreed with your and Nasher's posts.
Thank you. Apology accepted

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote