Old 07 September 2012, 14:57   #21

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
I never put a reserve on ( when I used to sell) , just made the starting bid the absolute minimum I was happy to accept for something and let things go from there.

If it sold for just one bid I was happy, if it sold for more I was extra happy.
Old 07 September 2012, 18:04   #22

Town: Fort William
Make: Ribcraft 585
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha F115
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterM
I never put a reserve on ( when I used to sell) , just made the starting bid the absolute minimum I was happy to accept for something and let things go from there.

That's the way I list stuff but i chuck an extra couple of quid for eBay and PayPal.

When buying il enter the max I'm willing to pay then check back when it's done, if I win I'm happy, if I lose I haven't lost.
Old 07 September 2012, 18:18   #23

Town: Helsinki
Boat name: SR 5.4
Make: Avon
Engine: Toh1 3,5 Yam 90/2S
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterM View Post

Same here, thats what I do also. For odd stuf somethimes make a "market check" with a reserv but typically not.
Old 07 September 2012, 19:36   #24

Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy B View Post
If you want to take your chance on grabbing a bargan then good luck to you but don't get upset when somebody gets out of there chair and goes and does a deal.
Maybe I'm missing the point,... why would you do a deal rather than let the auction run. The guy doing the deal to end the auction early is doing so because he's worried the auction will run over what he's prepared to pay which means you could sell it for more.
Old 07 September 2012, 19:49   #25

Town: Fareham
Length: 6m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
Nasher & Hightower

Its an auction, it goes to the highest bidder at the end. If you don't want to sell that way use a different format. If you don't want to use ebay's services to advertise to a UK (or world) wide audience then you don't have to - if they are the "best" that is available then pay for the service they provide and don't complain if they change the rules to stop people 'fee dodging'.

Did you actually read my post? I want an apology please!

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 September 2012, 20:07   #26

Town: southampton
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyShoe View Post
Maybe I'm missing the point,... why would you do a deal rather than let the auction run. The guy doing the deal to end the auction early is doing so because he's worried the auction will run over what he's prepared to pay which means you could sell it for more.
A bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush.

Unfortunately eBay is full of non-payers and Messer’s who never turn up or make contact after the auction ends!

If someone turns up with the cash and is prepared to pay what I consider is the right price for something, I’m not going to turn him away
Old 07 September 2012, 20:10   #27

Town: Huisnes sur Mer
Boat name: Raufoss
Make: Avon
Engine: Mercury 50
I echo PeterM's ideology on this, i used to sell stuff quite a bit but over the last few years it has become so tedious (not to mention expensive).

A few months ago i listed one of our vans for auction,, started the 10 day auction off at £1 and within 12 hours the bidding had risen to £1830. The problem was that my messages inbox imediately filled up with at least a dozen questions all asking the same thing "How much for cash mate?".... "Mate"????....

One really astute ebayer was even generous enough to offer me £2000 for a quick sale...even though the bidding had already reached £1830 after only 12 hours in a 10day auction ...his offer was (not so) politely declined.... Fecking re-tread...

I suppose at least this new ruling would discourage that kind of anoying questioning but to be honest i've resigned myself to no longer sell things on ebay, just to much hassle.

Simon
Old 07 September 2012, 20:14   #28

Town: Royal Wootton Bassett
Length: 8m +
Engine: 250
To be honest guys, I try to sell on here first even if its not rib related, at least that way I don't have to pay ebay or paypal.

If it doesn't sell on here then it goes to another forum or ebay etc.

However if I put it on for 99p then all I get is loads of messages saying what's the buy it now price or can we do cash to save your ebay fees
Old 07 September 2012, 20:33   #29

Town: Sussex
Make: RIBTEC 655
Engine: Yam 150
The problem is that their fees are so high now that more people are doing deals, can't blame the 10% is taking the piss considering they also charge a listing fee.
Old 07 September 2012, 21:07   #30

Town: Royal Wootton Bassett
Length: 8m +
Engine: 250
The problem is that they do so many auctions and charge so much, so you are right, if the fees were not so high then no one would end the auction?
Old 07 September 2012, 21:20   #31

Town: Sussex
Make: RIBTEC 655
Engine: Yam 150
Yup, and let's not forget the extra 3% they charge for using PayPal - and guess what, they've stuck their "head office" in Luxembourg so avoid paying and tax in the UK - so good on anyone who manages to screw them back.
Old 07 September 2012, 21:42   #32
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hightower View Post
Did you actually read my post? I want an apology please!
Andy, sorry ! the was meant to show I agreed with your and Nasher's posts.
Old 07 September 2012, 22:04   #33

Make: Zodiac Mk I
Engine: 15 hp Yam two stroke
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly;
Its an auction, it goes to the highest bidder at the end. If you don't want to sell that way use a different format. If you don't want to use ebay's services to advertise to a UK (or world) wide audience then you don't have to - if they are the "best" that is available then pay for the service they provide and don't complain if they change the rules to stop people 'fee dodging'.

The site has incredible reach and never let me down. As in a lot of things,its the few who ruin it for the majority.
Old 07 September 2012, 22:13   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly
which is against the ebay rules: Ending Your Listing Early
and always has been! Its an auction. If you want to sell via multiple routes use a Classified / Best Offer approach. The concept of an auction where the seller can withdraw undermines the system.

You can advertise on here by pointing people to your ebay ad. You see we are not precious because we don't charge any fees!
Its not an 'extra' fee, you agree to the fee upfront or, on the otherhand, their users are just taking the mickey and using the advertising prowess of ebay with no serious intent of completing the transaction on ebay. I'd guess this is a particular problem with cars, boats, bikes etc where people need to collect, its high value (so high fees) and often people want to test/inspect. Ebay's pricing model is based on a fee for the ad and then a fee for 'success' if you cut them out the success but still sell that seems unreasonable to me. I note they are allowing people to do it once per annum without penalty anyway so it really is for those trying to circumvent the system.

Well not much point moaning here - ebay aren't regular visitors! However are other people not allowed a different view? The best way to convince any corporation you don't like their pricing is to stop paying them. If you want their services accept their pricing or find an alternative.

maybe you could set up your own auction site, invest in its development, market it and run it - and offer lower prices?

You are Pierre Omidyar and I claim my prize! Oh dear.....
Old 07 September 2012, 22:54   #35

Town: Fareham
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
Andy, sorry ! the was meant to show I agreed with your and Nasher's posts.
Thank you. Apology accepted

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote