Town: cornwall
Boat name: nothing
Make: rib eye 430
Length: 4m +
Engine: tatsu 50
MMSI: 666
Ebay postage problems

What your opinion .
i often buy multiple small items on ebay from one seller and always get a combined postage rate . Sometimes you have to ask for a total from the seller but its normally done fairly .

The other day i ordered 8 items from a fishing tackle seller . All small light items that wouldfit into a normal A3 emvelope and certainly wiegh less than half a kilo .
The total postage for the seperate items would have been £10.26 and i asked for a combined postage rate and invoice total from the seller .

I got this reply and a refusal to offer any postage discount .

Quote:
hi there these items are listed on ebay as individual sales and individual p&p if i was going to combine these items &the p&p i would of listed them as a bulk buy job lot the trouble with people like you is you want the gear for next to nothing or should i say nowt i have been in touch with ebay and i am quite within my rights not to offer combined p&p as these items were listed seperetly if you dont want to pay for these items that is up to you cheers dft
Old 29 March 2008, 21:13   #2
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian parkes View Post
What your opinion .
i often buy multiple small items on ebay from one seller and always get a combined postage rate . Sometimes you have to ask for a total from the seller but its normally done fairly .

The other day i ordered 8 items from a fishing tackle seller . All small light items that wouldfit into a normal A3 emvelope and certainly wiegh less than half a kilo .
The total postage for the seperate items would have been £10.26 and i asked for a combined postage rate and invoice total from the seller .

I got this reply and a refusal to offer any postage discount .
the trouble "with people like him" is that he wouldn't know customer service if it bit him. The new ebay feedback system does at least allow you to specifically rate his postage costs. Ebay also are not that keen for people to extort money for postage as he implies. There official policy is here:

http://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/policie...-shipping.html

Of course ebay don't care about you being extorted (except for the bad reputation the site gets) what actually pisses them off is they make no money on the postage element of the sale.

Piss him off by asking him to ship to 8 different addresses!
Old 29 March 2008, 21:17   #3

Town: Bristol
Length: 5m +
or pay for each lot individually by Paypal....this will cost him 20p more for each extra item.
Old 29 March 2008, 21:18   #4

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
If possible I dodge the dealers who have unrealistic p&p. If you need to deal with someone who sells cheap and balances the cost with high p&p, just decide whether the product is worth the total. To me it does imply a certain attitude and that appears to be the case by the reply you were given in this case.

I wouldn't loose sleep over it, though.

However, I had this situation a while ago and each product dropped through the letter box in its own separate package in the same delivery so it may just be easy for the trader not to bother to link items.
Old 29 March 2008, 21:25   #5

Town: Cowes, Isle of Wight
Boat name: TiLT 2
Make: Avon Adventure 620
Length: 6m +
Engine: Optimax 135
MMSI: 235032203
The power is with you. Leave him sht Feedback. He looks like he deserves it.

He might be trying to make extra £££s by charging too much for P&P, which sucks I think.
Old 29 March 2008, 21:26   #6

Iam pleased you all see it as i do.
I replied politely and pointed out that my request wasn't actually going to cost him any more money and that return business and more custom would be the result . I got this rather smug reply .

HI AGAIN I BET OTHER SELLERS DONT SELL THEIR ITEMS AS CHEAP AS THE ONES YOU HAVE BID ON OFF ME AND THE LISTED POSTAGE IS DEARER AS WELL. A LOT OF SELLERS KEEP THE B/NOW PRICE UP & POSTAGE DOWN SOME THE OPPOSITE AT THE END OF THE DAY IF YOU WERE TO TAKE THE TIME AND CHECK ALL THE LISTINGS THAT ARE THE SAME ITEM I KNOW WHO WHOSE ITEMS WOULD BE THE CHEAPEST WHETHER THEY COMBINED PRICES OR NOT THERE IS ONE SELLER CHARGING B/NOW ROD RAIL REST AT 3.00 + 3.00 P&P DO YOU NOT THINK IVE DONE MY HOME WORK BUD I HAVE WENT TO A POWER SELLER IN LESS THAN A YEAR AND SELF EMPLOYED CHEERS DFT

iam not losing sleep over it , but having comitted to buy the items , then not buying just causes problems and disputes , and then negative feedback wars etc .
Old 29 March 2008, 21:39   #7

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Engine: Suzuki DT225
In fairness some people will post a cheap price and then expensive postage to avoid Ebay fees - for example a camera for £200 with £90 postage instead of charging £280 with £10 postage.

Having said that the reply you had totally stinks!!!
Old 29 March 2008, 22:15   #8

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian parkes View Post
...but having comitted to buy the items , then not buying just causes problems and disputes , and then negative feedback wars etc .
If you've bought, then you need to pay. Be sure to do any negotiation before you commit to buy.
If you've made the postage an issue after you purchased, I'm not surprised the guy is a bit grumpy.
Old 29 March 2008, 22:18   #9

Town: Exmouth, Devon
Length: no boat
Hmmm . . interesting replies . . . Bud!

I think the idea of 8 separate payments and 8 different addresses is quite entertaining and well-justified if you can be bothered.

He's obviously one of those who know the price of everything and the value of nothing. The only really valid point he makes is whether the total price inc p&p is a good deal, but there's nice ways of putting it.
Old 29 March 2008, 22:34   #10
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
In fairness some people will post a cheap price and then expensive postage to avoid Ebay fees - for example a camera for £200 with £90 postage instead of charging £280 with £10 postage
Well thats not the situation here - the price per item sounds quite sensible, simply combined unfair. But who is the above aproach "fair" to? the buyer ? no he gets initially excited about a good price; other sellers? no their goods appear expensive; ebay? no.

Perhaps you think it is OK to screw ebay... but they are a commercial organisation - if they miss out on fees they will just end up charging everyone else a bit more.
Old 29 March 2008, 22:37   #11

The prices are pretty good , similar to trago i guess for cheap fishing tackle . the postage he charges per item isn't OTT iether , if he had to post individually .

I think its the attitude that has made me not want to pay his prices
Old 29 March 2008, 23:37   #12

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
Well thats not the situation here - the price per item sounds quite sensible, simply combined unfair. But who is the above aproach "fair" to? the buyer ? no he gets initially excited about a good price; other sellers? no their goods appear expensive; ebay? no.

Perhaps you think it is OK to screw ebay... but they are a commercial organisation - if they miss out on fees they will just end up charging everyone else a bit more.
I didn't say it was the situation here and I didn't say I did this on Ebay or it was ok to "screw" them - just can't resist can you?
Old 29 March 2008, 23:38   #13

Town: Côte d'Azur
Boat name: Beaver Patrol
Make: Avon Searider SR4
It sounds very unfair to me; I reckon any fair and decent ebayer would combine the postage for you. However, as JW says, you didn't ask him before the auction. I would be a bit irritated if someone started questioning my postage fees after they had agreed to purchase at that price.
If I were you I'd just pay and put it down to experience.
Old 29 March 2008, 23:51   #14
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
I didn't say it was the situation here
ah, ok so the post starting "...in fairness" wasn't presenting another side of the argument, or even relevant to the thread, it was in fact just you liking the sound of your own keyboard.
Quote:
and I didn't say I did this on Ebay or it was ok to "screw" them
the statement "In fairness.......avoid ebay fees" suggests to me that you probably do think its OK even if you don't necessarily do it yourself.
Quote:
just can't resist can you?
You are right. When you talk drivel I do get sucked in!
Old 30 March 2008, 00:14   #15

Town: Torbay
Boat name: Marlin
Make: PBS humber 5.5
Engine: 115 optimax!!
in my opinion, if he has priced for individual postage and posts each item seperately then he has done nothing wrong, just been a bit of an unhelpful twit and missed the chance to provide good customer service.

on the other hand if he charges you for individual postage but posts in a combined envelope, effectively pocketing the remaining postage money then you have grounds to leave crap feedback / goods or service not as descrribed
maybe??

all said he is a bit of a winker though
Old 30 March 2008, 00:32   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin F View Post
in my opinion, if he has priced for individual postage and posts each item seperately then he has done nothing wrong, just been a bit of an unhelpful twit and missed the chance to provide good customer service.

on the other hand if he charges you for individual postage but posts in a combined envelope, effectively pocketing the remaining postage money then you have grounds to leave crap feedback / goods or service not as descrribed
maybe??

all said he is a bit of a winker though

Spot on Colin .

I have paid as thats the ebay rules , and yes i should have done the asking before buying . It will be his loss in the end as most businesses rely on repeat custom.
So if you are buying fishing tackle look out for

daveys-fishing tackle

Hope i catch enough fish to make it worth the grief .

Oh went to trago today and they are going over to shakespear tackle and have some good bargains , i bought a really light spinning rod for £4.99 and nice metal lures for 55p that are about 3 times that anywhere else .
Old 30 March 2008, 00:43   #17

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin F View Post
...have grounds to leave crap feedback / goods or service not as descrribed

You bid, which is a legally binding offer to buy.

Then you decide you're not happy with the advertised terms?

If you leave negative feedback, you are abusing the system.

Caveat emptor. Harsh, but fair.
Richard B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2008, 08:40   #18

Town: Torbay
Boat name: Marlin
Make: PBS humber 5.5
Engine: 115 optimax!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard B View Post
You bid, which is a legally binding offer to buy.

Then you decide you're not happy with the advertised terms?

If you leave negative feedback, you are abusing the system.

Caveat emptor. Harsh, but fair.
you bid and buy for individual postage as he didn't advertise combined shipping options, if this postage service isn't what you recieve i think it is reasonable to leave appropriate feedback. The seller decides to play by the rules or dishonestly pocket the saved postage.

I agree you can't fairly leave -ve feedback if he does as advertised but if he strays from that he knows exactly what he is doing.
Old 30 March 2008, 15:28   #19

Town: Essex/Vendee
Boat name: shockwave,Voluntry 2
Make: Pac 22/ searider5.4
Length: 6m +
Engine: 180hp turbo,yam 90
Different issue but i recently bought an aux 8 hp four stroke discribed as very good engine .it smokes badly and when you unscrew the oil filler whilst its running the pressure is such its hard to re-screw it back in.When i bought it i contacted him imeadiately picked it up next day paid for it .He has not left me feedback as yet and i want to leave him bad feedback.Any suggestions
Old 30 March 2008, 18:30   #20
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterR View Post
Any suggestions
  1. If you buy an outboard on ebay you should test it before completing the transaction. Otherwise you pays your money and takes your chances.
  2. Don't undo the oil filler cap when its running.
  3. If you are going to leave bad feedback you should discuss the problem with the seller first.
Oh - and are you sure you don't have too much oil in it? The only small 4 stroke o/board I have owned was very sensitive to the oil level and smoked like a trabant if there was too much - it was quite ticky to get the level right in the small sight glass as it required you to have the engine perfectly level in 2 axes.

Finally there is no reason why a "very good engine" can't also be a bit smokey.