Old 13 August 2011, 11:15   #1
RIBnet supporter

Town: Hants
Length: 8m +
Engine: 300hp plus
E Mail issues

Can anyone advice me what I should change regarding e mails sent from office e mail address ( even on seperate computers) that I am finding out later when I do a follow up has gone into the spam box of the recipient, even when replying direct to their e mail

Can it be linked to having other headings, images attached- i.e a company logo or two www addresses?

Things I believe have improved by switching to Mozilla, the e mail account is run by ORANGE!!!
Old 13 August 2011, 11:41   #2
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Do you send much bulkmail (mailshots)? Some ISPs can get very twitchy if you do and put you on their blacklist. AOL are the worst for this.

I've also encountered the problem sending from my business mail account to another independent business mail account - they just had their spam filters set too aggressively.
Old 13 August 2011, 12:38   #3
RIBnet supporter

Town: Hants
Length: 8m +
Engine: 300hp plus
Wilk- no mail shots ever sent out, may be spam filters being high, but this appaeras to be some business and some private, I was just guessing on logos, etc . I recently took of logo and just left a web address as a signature with my name
Old 13 August 2011, 19:30   #4
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Ian,

It sounds like your messages are getting a high "spam" score either at the recipients mail server or on their own machine.

Are you saying that if you send it from PC1 it goes to spam but PC2 it does not? Or am I misreading this? If so it may be quite easy if you send me an email from each to spot the difference in the header and make an educated guess what you need to change.

Images and links are likely to score a bit higher on spam tests, but of course there are plenty of legit messages which contain these so it shouldn't be causing a widespread problem per se (but may not be helping).

I suspect it is more likely that you are sending your message from an address like "yourname@yourribco.co.uk" when in fact the message is being sent from something like mail.orangeISP.com. There are a few problems here which add up to a higher spam score. Firstly orangeISP.com and yourribco.co.uk are not the same address so that rings alarm bells. Secondly probably lots of junk does get sent from orangeISP.com by other people so you are scored down on this. Thirdly I can start sending out email with a from / reply address of "yourribco.co.uk" even though I don't own the domain (this is called spoofing) - unfortunately once spammers get hold of your address they do this and so your address can get on a blacklist even though you haven't sent any spam yourself.

There is also the possibility that your machine (or one on your network) has been sending out spam (unknown to you) because it has a virus and so will be blacklisted.

Depending how your domain is set up up you may be able to make some changes to indicate that "orangeISP.com" is permitted to send email from "yourribco.co.uk" - some googling about SPF might help or may just confuse and you'll need an ubergeek!

You may also want to check your addresses against blacklists (google for email blacklists).