Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > Other stuff
Click Here to Login

Old 13 June 2012, 08:49   #21

Town: Plymouth
Length: 6m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitten
A bit OT I saw a sticker on the back of a comercial van from a national company with a "THIS VEHICLE IS LIMITED TO 70MPH" sticker the other day, what is that about.
Sign of the times (pardon the pun). It's to advise impatient motorists it cannot go any faster!

Peter @ Boatsandoutboards4sale ~ askboatsandoutboards4sale@sky.com ~ 07930 421007
Old 13 June 2012, 13:36   #22

Town: Littlehampton, W Sx
Length: no boat
MMSI: 235101591
Quote:
Originally Posted by Festinghouse View Post
i find a lot of lonely / men old enough to go through the change, share this narrow opinion
my view is that if it wasnt about the money, then offenders would be made to spend a saturday morning out sweeping streets etc instead.
But they do get offered speed awareness courses as an alternative to a big fine - a Saturday spent being educated on the issues and (hopefully) realising what a selfish Pratt they were. By all accounts it is humbling and not an easy way to avoid a fine.

Btw, I am a few years away from The Change! Lonely? Well, I have lost a few friends to stupid accidents - and had a few myself.
Old 13 June 2012, 15:12   #23

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
I was listening to radio 2 about this today and see both sides of the argument.

There was a recent case of a motorbike who hit his brake hard on the main road out of Bournemouth as he suddenly saw the van by the side of the road ( its a wellknown spot) .

In braking he lost control and died and while he was going at a good speed over the 50 limit ( something like 80+ if I recall) a flash may well have slowed him down and saved his life .

On the flip side at 80+ he could easily have killed someone else .

Just an example and maybe unlucky as the guy was on a bike where he had no protection. It happens all the time in cars too , but with less serious results.

Hard to say whats right and wrong ........
Old 13 June 2012, 15:28   #24

I've done the speed awareness course (was doing 37 in a 30) and TBH it wouldn't stop you speeding again. Nowhere near as "harrowing" as I expected but very informative in regards to the stopping distances etc extra speed creates.

I took the course to avoid the points. That was 3 years ago and I've not been caught since. I say caught as I'm not stupid enough to claim I've not gone past the limit again. Point is if I choose to do that I have to accept the consequences of those actions. Such is life.
Old 13 June 2012, 15:31   #25

Town: Ashton-under-Lyne Lancs
Boat name: IMOGEN
Make: Air-Craft 5.4
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki df70a
MMSI: 235087492
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to kerny
If speed cameras/traps etc are effective, then why do people still speed ??

In my opinion the majority of people caught by speed traps are not prolific offenders but have just had a lap in concentration which we all do, (aint that right Pikey) it's then 3 points and a fine.
It's the racing uninsured n*b heads that are from the area and know the speed camera locations that get away with it. When we see one of them, we all think where are the police now when we need them.

It's defo a money making exercise.
Old 13 June 2012, 15:43   #26

That's my point. They are to well known and adding the help of flashing lights to warn doesn't help with that. They should be able to hide them well away, at the end of the day if your not speeding it won't matter if they are seen or not and if your not concentrating you shouldn't be on the road in the first place!

Everybody knows you will get a ticket if you overstay your parking ticket allowance, some accept the fine if they lose track of time or wasn't concentrating, you don't then complain that nobody warned you, or that it's a money making scheme. What's the difference (other than it potentially saving a life)
Old 13 June 2012, 15:47   #27

The only time I have been stopped for speeding (and I have been known to have a heavy right foot) I was asked what the speed limit was and why I was driving faster than it.

"I thought I'd get away with it and I considered that I wasn't increasing the risk to myself or any other road user."

That honest answer (I'd be rubbish as a crook under interrogation) saw me being told to 'go carefully but more slowly in future'. It must be galling to ask the same question fifteen times a day and be told

"Sorry, I don't know what the limit was..."
"Was I driving faster than 30?"
"I needed to go to the toilet.."
"I was listening to Meatloaf and got carried away..."
"I dunno like..."

and have to peel bits of people off the road during the same shift.

I can't remember who suggested we should all drive cardboard cars with a big spike sticking out of the steering wheel and against the driver's chest, but he or she was probably right.

Equally, its the **** who speed up the River Arun much faster than the 6.5 kt / 'no wash' limit who wind up the sailors into an anti-powered boat enmity and cause there to be a speed camera and CCTV. Its not difficult to be considerate; its easy to be anti-social.
Old 13 June 2012, 16:28   #28

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boats&Outboards View Post
That's my point. They are to well known and adding the help of flashing lights to warn doesn't help with that. They should be able to hide them well away,
I thought this was about cars flashing there lights but sticking flashing light on the cameras
Old 13 June 2012, 17:04   #29

Town: Sussex
Make: RIBTEC 655
Engine: Yam 150
I've just got home form a speed awareness course today(36 on a 30) and feel completely differently about this now, funny thing was I got flashed by a BMW on the way and round the corner was a camera van.

You have to ask your self what makes you obey the speed limit, the fear of getting caught and a fine or the fear of killing someone, mine was the fear of being caught but I do feel differently now.

If people are speeding in a community and you warn them to slow down to avoid getting nicked, they then speed through your community and endanger your kids then you have wonder if you did the right thing be flashing them.
Old 13 June 2012, 17:13   #30

Town: Wakefield
Boat name: Bouncer
Make: Redbay Stormforce
Engine: 2x Honda 100 Hp
MMSI: 235025718
There is a lay-by near Brighouse and often a camera van in it last year I parked behind it blocking it view whoops
And once had to move a traffic car on with a radar gun as I needed to park where he was.
Old 13 June 2012, 17:20   #31

Town: Leicester
Boat name: Vixen
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Suzuki OB 175
MMSI: 235071839
It's about money - except unlike the Irish Republic they wont ome out and say it. We have a speed trap directly in front a set of lights here in Leicester; what happens? Well the financially aware people slow down through the trap and completely forget the light is red and simply drive through - is this safe clearly not.

The trap is there to slow drivers down or catch them? If devices to slow drivers flashing speed signs or flashing camera signs are ok then the drivers flashing thier lights should be commended or rewarded.

There is a good deal of sense in policing sensible and safe driving and policing speed however the level of hypocricy spouted often at high levels of government is repugnant. A speed trap is essentially a tax on the motorists lack of attention in a small measured section of road even "safe" slower drivers can still get caught. Sadly the deranged loons who cause carnage will always do what they do regardless of any revenue gathering medium.
Simon B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2012, 17:28   #32

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas View Post
I've just got home form a speed awareness course today(36 on a 30) and feel completely differently about this now, funny thing was I got flashed by a BMW on the way and round the corner was a camera van.

You have to ask your self what makes you obey the speed limit, the fear of getting caught and a fine or the fear of killing someone, mine was the fear of being caught but I do feel differently now.

If people are speeding in a community and you warn them to slow down to avoid getting nicked, they then speed through your community and endanger your kids then you have wonder if you did the right thing be flashing them.
Me thinks you have been brainwashed on that course you have been on thomas btw did you have to pay to attend the course
Old 13 June 2012, 17:29   #33

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by mick View Post
There is a lay-by near Brighouse and often a camera van in it last year I parked behind it blocking it view whoops
And once had to move a traffic car on with a radar gun as I needed to park where he was.
Now that I like Mick... even though you do drive a Land Rover
Old 13 June 2012, 17:58   #34
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HughN View Post
I don't do this - partly because I always thought it was an offence to do so and partly because all the speed limit signs, camera signs are quite obvious and sticking to the speed limit isn't difficult when you are paying attention and concentrating - its not a trick, a deception or other dastardly scheme - the rules are well advertised (unlike some countries where the cops hide behind advertising hoardings, etc.,). The limits are not posted as 40 and drivers fined for driving at 35.

A 100% foolproof way to avoid getting caught speeding is to drive at or below the speed limit. If everyone did this, 'Their' income in fines would be zero. There is, after all, quite a bit of semi-official 'tolerance' by 'Them' on motorways (where risks are lower), though from a pure money-making 'trap' perspective, fining everyone doing more than 77 mph would do the trick.

The down-side about living in a democracy is that you have to abide by the rules set by society - even if you don't agree with them. There is no right to a driving license - it is a privilege - so if you don't agree with the terms either use the bus or try to convince everyone to change the rules. There is scope for your discretion to reduce speed to suit the conditions but not to go above the limit. The signed limit is not the speed that must be driven at.

There is a class of people who drive at 43 mph irrespective of the speed limit, weather, road conditions, pedestrians, etc., and who are blinkin' dangerous; equally, I have taken to reporting the arrogant so-and-sos who overtake me driving at 30 in a 30 limit.

If everyone could be trusted to drive at 'the greater of the maximum safe speed for the conditions or the speed limit', perhaps some speed limits would be raised? After all, 'Their' revenue from fuel duty would then increase.

Its not a 'sport' like a couple of rabbits poached by moonlight from a rich landowner for a starving family where there is some moral/romantic justification in breaking the law - if someone driving at 33 couldn't stop and knocked over your child but would have been able to stop at 29 or 30, how would you feel? Equally, how could you justify (to yourself or in court) being that driver?

Give another two days and the Daily Mail will be ranting about the Police not fining speeding drivers and the outrageous carnage of pedestrian deaths on the UK's roads.

/Off soapbox.
Absolutely every word wot this man said - Spot on!
Old 13 June 2012, 18:02   #35
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon B View Post
A speed trap is essentially a tax on the motorists lack of attention in a small measured section of road even "safe" slower drivers can still get caught.
Get nicked, did we? Pay attention or pay a fine...
Old 13 June 2012, 18:33   #36

You pay a course fee of around £60 instead of the fine and points. It's only or certain speed brackets, too much is an instant fine/points. 36 is the threshold in a 30, any lower and no flash!. Something tells me the flash you got may have got your speed down a little but unfortunately not enough.

We get fined for no TV licence too, is that just another tax ? At the end of the day the police have to use whatever works to get us to slow down. If that's a fine, so be it. if they simply told us off it would make no difference.

Perfect example Luke McCormack. Professional footballer one day. Responsible for 2 x child deaths (caused by excess speed and excess alcohol In this case) the next. It can happen to anybody to takes that risk. Guess its down to each person to balance the risk/consequences.

Peter @ Boatsandoutboards4sale ~ askboatsandoutboards4sale@sky.com ~ 07930 421007
Old 13 June 2012, 19:29   #37

Town: Sussex
Make: RIBTEC 655
Engine: Yam 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerny View Post
Me thinks you have been brainwashed on that course you have been on thomas btw did you have to pay to attend the course
Not at all, I live in a village were people drive far too fast and one day there will be a nasty accident. The course was run by a couple of driving instructors and doesn't teach you anything you don't already know but it does make you think and cost me £80, what annoyed me is i was done on an open road near Bosham and not in a residential area - I'm not going to go off on one about speeding, we all do it but why do they set speed limits on certain areas? must be a reason. I just wish they would put speed traps in places where people drive too fast and it's dangerous rather than places where it's easy to catch people.
Old 13 June 2012, 19:42   #38

RIBase
Quote:
what annoyed me is i was done on an open road near Bosham and not in a residential area - I'm not going to go off on one about speeding, we all do it but why do they set speed limits on certain areas? must be a reason. I
This is exactly why I think it's done just for revenue. I agree with you on the above statement, I drive through Shropshire regularly and the speed traps are always out on the long open roads 50-60 mph limits, but never when coming into a village although there are plenty warning signs of 40 into 30 mph zones, but this is where your local speeders ignore the speed limit because of no traps or cameras
Old 13 June 2012, 19:54   #39

Quote:
Not at all, I live in a village were people drive far too fast and one day there will be a nasty accident. The course was run by a couple of driving instructors and doesn't teach you anything you don't already know but it does make you think and cost me £80, what annoyed me is i was done on an open road near Bosham and not in a residential area - I'm not going to go off on one about speeding, we all do it but why do they set speed limits on certain areas? must be a reason. I just wish they would put speed traps in places where people drive too fast and it's dangerous rather than places where it's easy to catch people.
Lots of it is rubbish and utterly farcical. Having put speed cameras (sorry 'safety cameras') on the A24 the traffic bunches up and there is a volume of cars doing 59.9999999 mph but six inches apart -every day. This really makes me nervous.

The best place in Sussex to speed? The westbound A259 approaching Centenary House in Durrington (local Police Headquarters). Once in a blue moon there is a camera there but do 30 and you will be overtaken by lots of vehicles including Police cars.

The roundabout near me is a nightmare. It is fed by a dual carriageway and cars exit the roundabout with their tyres squealing at 60+ as they enter a 30 limit - exactly where children cross the road to get to school. I have asked for a speed trap there but they won't do anything until there is one or more death and the Home Office criteria are met.

To my eternal shame, a car doing 60+ along Rustington seafront (limit 30) once got a bag full of (fairly runny) dog poo on the windscreen from me as I waited to cross the road with my children.

Sussex Police claim to 'tag' 250,000 vehicles a day via their ANPR camera network - wait until they start using these to work out your average speed between points...
Old 13 June 2012, 19:56   #40
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HughN View Post
To my eternal shame, a car doing 60+ along Rustington seafront (limit 30) once got a bag full of (fairly runny) dog poo on the windscreen from me as I waited to cross the road with my children.

Sussex Police claim to 'tag' 250,000 vehicles a day via their ANPR camera network - wait until they start using these to work out your average speed between points...
Nice one! You should "bag" a few more!