Old 19 November 2006, 17:59   #22

Town: San Carlos, Mexico
Boat name: INDE
Make: LOMAC 730
Length: 7m +
Engine: 200 Merc.
MMSI: Please press 1
Send a message via Skype™ to Limey Linda
No, it has not died out and is available at my local supermarket , in the USA. So Nos. Na Na, Na.
Old 21 November 2006, 00:03   #23

Town: Punta gorda Fl.
Boat name: War Machine
Make: Falcon U.S.A.
Length: 9m +
Engine: twin 250 Yamaha
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo View Post
Yo! 'Sup bitches?

Have sympathy for those of us in Canada! I work in the communications field and we have some major clients who insist that we use "American" spelling in their publications. Their reasoning is that Canadians "understand" why some words are spelled incorrectly, but Americans don't understand it at all.

As if that isn't enough, most of our TV originates south of the border, as well as magazines and books.

I think it just a matter of time until Canada becomes officially quadra-lingual: English, French, American and Eubonic!

http://www.geoffhunt.ca/web/cgi-bin/...track=PREV+FWD
Hey Stoo, just remember a lot of the t.v. involves many people who started north of the border and came south, and became very successful singers, actors, comedians and newsmen in the process, Peter Jennings, Celine Dion, John Candy etc. etc. They are just sending their success back at you! Speaking of John Candy, not to get off track but man, don't you miss John Candy? God was he funny, and talented. What a loss...
Old 21 November 2006, 00:16   #24

One other thing I might mention to our audience out there.... the fastest growing segment of the U.S. population is hispanic, if current trends continue, the Queen's English, or any Americanized version thereof, could become our SECOND language spoken in this country. A distant possibility perhaps, but a distinct possibility none the less...
Globalization is changing the demographics of many countries, the U.S.A. is certainly not an exception. Take a look at instruction manuals with newly bought merchandise, English is one of usually four or five languages included in the booklet. As Bob Dylan said... The times they are a changing..
Old 21 November 2006, 02:11   #25

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathalla View Post
Hey Stoo, just remember a lot of the t.v. involves many people who started north of the border and came south, and became very successful singers, actors, comedians and newsmen in the process, Peter Jennings, Celine Dion, John Candy etc. etc. They are just sending their success back at you! Speaking of John Candy, not to get off track but man, don't you miss John Candy? God was he funny, and talented. What a loss...
Wondered where you had got to - been busy I take it?

Never realised John Candy was a Canadian - yes I do miss him - he was fantastic. One of my favourite films has to be "Armed and dangerous" - also starring my dream actress - Meg Ryan - drooool........
Old 21 November 2006, 04:29   #26

Town: British Columbia
Make: Gemini
Length: 4m +
Engine: 40hp 2 str
We Canadians are a quirky lot. When speaking with the British we make every effort to let them know that we're no longer a mere colony and are in fact doing quite well thank you very much. When speaking with Americans we make a huge emphasis of our british ties. What we end up with is a hybridization that is distinctly Canadian - part imperial, part metric, part English, part American. Additionally many Canadians, and almost all Quebecers, also speak fluent Franglais.

When speaking with the british we usually pronouce 'Zed' as 'Zee' and when speaking with Americans we always pronounce it as 'Zed'. I once had an American friend convinced that we called those striped african equine creatures 'Zedbras'.
Old 21 November 2006, 13:23   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairie tuber View Post

When speaking with the british we usually pronouce 'Zed' as 'Zee' and when speaking with Americans we always pronounce it as 'Zed'. I once had an American friend convinced that we called those striped african equine creatures 'Zedbras'.

Classic - maybe I should have been a Canadian - when ever people say Scones I say Scohnes and vice versa just to annoy them!!!
Old 21 November 2006, 13:33   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
Wondered where you had got to - been busy I take it?

Never realised John Candy was a Canadian - yes I do miss him - he was fantastic. One of my favourite films has to be "Armed and dangerous" - also starring my dream actress - Meg Ryan - drooool........
Yes Cod, I have been attending to some matters, but not much to post as the boat is put away and that just.. SUCKS! There are a lot of people out there who don't know John Candy is Canadian, a lot of Canadians have made their mark in the U.S. media, for that matter our entertainment industry has been hugely influenced/affected by Canadians, Brits and others. The British invasion (music) of the sixties most notably had a huge influence, many actors, comedians, performers, singers and athletes in the U.S. entertainment industry are not U.S. citizens by birth, so what you get is a mishmash of different influences, I think everybody knows this, I just wanted to point it out. So remember, culturally, we are a mixed breed, a mutt!
Old 22 November 2006, 03:03   #29

Ah Pathalla, you mentioned athletes. Canada also has quite a history of world class 100 meter sprinters - as a matter of fact, we've got/had some of the fastest Jamaicans in the world - Guys like Donovan Bailey, Bruni Surin... in fact Ben Johnson was so fast that urine samples ultimately proved that he was actually a cheetah!
Old 22 November 2006, 12:36   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairie tuber View Post
Ah Pathalla, you mentioned athletes. Canada also has quite a history of world class 100 meter sprinters - as a matter of fact, we've got/had some of the fastest Jamaicans in the world - Guys like Donovan Bailey, Bruni Surin... in fact Ben Johnson was so fast that urine samples ultimately proved that he was actually a cheetah!
Absolute classic!!!
Old 25 November 2006, 00:54   #31

Town: Tobermory, Canada eh
Boat name: Verius
Make: Zodiac Hurricane 590
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha F150
Send a message via MSN to Stoo
And in the "How Small is Canada?" department...

Many years ago, I hoisted several (actually, many...) pints with John Candy when I was at University. He was with Second City then and they had come to school to put on a show. He was a funny guy, but by the end of the night, he was just another obnoxious drunk, just like the rest of us!

Along the same lines, I went to high school with Dave Thomas (of "Ghostbusters" fame) and had breakfast with his older brother Ian just a couple of weeks ago...

Mercifully, I don't know Celine Dion, but I am waiting patiently for call from Shania Twain~

www.wetspotimages.com
Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2006, 05:47   #32

Is Ian still performing? Haven't heard too much from him since 'Pilot'.
Old 25 November 2006, 08:14   #33

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathalla View Post
Take a look at instruction manuals with newly bought merchandise, English is one of usually four or five languages included in the booklet. As Bob Dylan said... The times they are a changing..
That's more for export than ease of domestic use, though.

Multi-lingual packaging means that you don't have a separate stock for each across the border shipment direction. Canada? Mexico? Fine. Pull 'em from the shelf and ship 'em out.

jky
Old 26 November 2006, 14:24   #34

Town: NIVELLES BELGIUM
Boat name: INDEPENDENT
Make: BWM RAPIER
Engine: Ob 2*250/2t yams hpd
MMSI: 235030702
just picking up on silly spelling mistakes - it's the ever creeping trend of Americanisms.

Just back Codders- but must take you up on this. The whole point of language is NOT the way you spell- but the way you speak. I have said so on this board previousely- that the problem with the "brit" brits is that the spoken english is appalling. Its easier to understand a Scotsman, or for that matter a Welsman than your Englishman. I have no such difficulty in the States whether it be south, north, east or west. What is wrong with Americanisms? most of them are to the point. I am still trying to understand that if calling someone a 'dipstick" is complimentary or not??

I think it must be due to the new laws governing drink....... I close this dialogue with the thought that the greatest Englishman that has ever lived- Winston Churchill - admitted his spelling left a lot to be desired and loved everything American

Jonathan
Old 26 November 2006, 14:44   #35

Town: Oakley
Boat name: Zerstörer
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki DF 140
MMSI: 235050131
Eupa,

Which Englishmen can't you understand ?

In some ways I agree with you because an Englishman is not always what he seems nowadays.

And if he's a Geordie or a Scouse then you've got no chance at all. Sort of the English version of the 'Windtalkers'.
Old 26 November 2006, 14:48   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by eupa View Post
I am still trying to understand that if calling someone a 'dipstick" is complimentary or not??

Jonathan

In N.A., it would be considered a mild insult.
Old 26 November 2006, 14:57   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo View Post
... I am waiting patiently for call from Shania Twain~
She still hasn't called you yet? Send some more pictures of your boat.
Old 26 November 2006, 17:54   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by eupa View Post
just picking up on silly spelling mistakes - it's the ever creeping trend of Americanisms.

Just back Codders- but must take you up on this. The whole point of language is NOT the way you spell- but the way you speak. I have said so on this board previousely- that the problem with the "brit" brits is that the spoken english is appalling. Its easier to understand a Scotsman, or for that matter a Welsman than your Englishman. I have no such difficulty in the States whether it be south, north, east or west. What is wrong with Americanisms? most of them are to the point. I am still trying to understand that if calling someone a 'dipstick" is complimentary or not??

I think it must be due to the new laws governing drink....... I close this dialogue with the thought that the greatest Englishman that has ever lived- Winston Churchill - admitted his spelling left a lot to be desired and loved everything American

Jonathan

Where have you been hiding again? Hope your health probs are sorted now? I can normally understand Yanks no probs BUT there is one bloke I talk to in Miami who needs a translator!!!
Old 26 November 2006, 18:57   #39

Where have you been hiding again? Hope your

... Been in Grand Canaria to try to get my rib in. No luck.

glad to see that you seem to be always fighting fit..

regards

Jonathan
Old 26 November 2006, 19:01   #40

Which Englishmen can't you understand ?

Jonathan Ross for starters..

jonathan