Old 20 March 2006, 19:15   #41

Town: York
Boat name: Hi Flyer
Make: Humber - Ocean Pro
Length: 7m +
Engine: Suzuki 140hp
MMSI: 235033234
Disco TD5 Auto ES

Seen a few - most have Hill Descent, one has central diff with lock. I'm not off roading - just towing & launching - what do you reckon is more useful? As I'm not climbing over boulders will I notice the difference?
Old 20 March 2006, 19:22   #42

Town: Reading, Hants
Boat name: Juicy
Make: Sealine F43
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x 370hp
MMSI: TBC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Pike
Seen a few - most have Hill Descent, one has central diff with lock. I'm not off roading - just towing & launching - what do you reckon is more useful? As I'm not climbing over boulders will I notice the difference?
I have a td5 es, you dont need the bits, ours has them and never need them to be honest unless in extreme conditions, it is auto and will pull anything up a slippery slipway on stone or concrete.

landys have problems but are relatively easy/cheap to fix
Old 20 March 2006, 19:54   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Jardon
I have a td5 es, you dont need the bits, ours has them and never need them to be honest unless in extreme conditions, it is auto and will pull anything up a slippery slipway on stone or concrete.
Thanks Hugh - just what I needed.

Jeff
Old 20 March 2006, 20:19   #44

Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Pike
All Discovery 2's should have Hill Descent Control but it is a complete waste of space. It limits downhill descent speed to about 4 mph, which in any conditions where you might want a fixed descent speed is about 4 times too fast. Put into context my 300Tdi 90's engine braking in first gear brings it down to about 1.5mph on the GPS. I only ever used HDC once in anger and that was on my old Freelander, descending a very icy hill. It cut in suddenly and almost caused me to have a F&%^ing great big accident so I switched it off in a hurry, got to the bottom in one piece and have never really bothered with it again except just messing around, messing around that proved that I know a lot more about when I want the brakes on and when I don't than any computer! It might be a good idea if it restricted the vehicle to a sensible speed but as it is set up, it is way too fast to be useful.

Centre difflock is useful but I would say not essential for what you want, don't make it the main reason for buying the vehicle or anything. The traction control system works OK, but not as well as they would have you believe, but it should be OK for what you want.
Old 20 March 2006, 21:10   #45

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Quote:
Originally Posted by BogMonster
All Discovery 2's should have Hill Descent Control but it is a complete waste of space. It limits downhill descent speed to about 4 mph, which in any conditions where you might want a fixed descent speed is about 4 times too fast. Put into context my 300Tdi 90's engine braking in first gear brings it down to about 1.5mph on the GPS. I only ever used HDC once in anger and that was on my old Freelander, descending a very icy hill. It cut in suddenly and almost caused me to have a F&%^ing great big accident so I switched it off in a hurry, got to the bottom in one piece and have never really bothered with it again except just messing around, messing around that proved that I know a lot more about when I want the brakes on and when I don't than any computer! It might be a good idea if it restricted the vehicle to a sensible speed but as it is set up, it is way too fast to be useful.

Centre difflock is useful but I would say not essential for what you want, don't make it the main reason for buying the vehicle or anything. The traction control system works OK, but not as well as they would have you believe, but it should be OK for what you want.

Tend to agree with most of that - HDC is way too fast for extremes as you say but for a novice on icy slopes it is quite good.Remember not everyone has the sense to accelerate when they start to slide......

Traction control however is brilliant. It enables a Disco on normal road tyres to get places it never should. Put mud pluggers on and it's awesome. The problem is they now use it to disguise lack of axle articulation. Would love to see a softly suspended old RR Classic with traction control and chunky tyres - it would be incredible!!!
Old 20 March 2006, 21:13   #46

Town: Pembrokeshire
Boat name: Pendragon
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200 suzuki
You will find issues with all models and makes, have run TDI & Td5's, they all have their faults.

Another factor to consider is how long do you plan to keep it. Salt water gets everywhere and the rear cross members tend to go, this is where your tow ball attahces and in turn your pride and joy.

I know people who buy a new disco / landy every two years before the rust sets in, buyer beware..........take a good look before you buy, remember the chassis rust from the inside out, by the time you see it it is too late.

Buy a land cruiser, you will not be disapointed.
Old 22 March 2006, 22:00   #47

Boat name: Hi-Flyer
Make: Humber Ocean Pro
Engine: Suzuki
Certainly looking like the Discovery so far dad eh?

Yes...I'v changed my name

Everyone else: I promise I don't actually communicate with my parents through website forums! haha
Old 22 March 2006, 22:24   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter 24/7
You will find issues with all models and makes, have run TDI & Td5's, they all have their faults.

Another factor to consider is how long do you plan to keep it. Salt water gets everywhere and the rear cross members tend to go, this is where your tow ball attahces and in turn your pride and joy.

I know people who buy a new disco / landy every two years before the rust sets in, buyer beware..........take a good look before you buy, remember the chassis rust from the inside out, by the time you see it it is too late.

Buy a land cruiser, you will not be disapointed.
Come off it - the cockle pickers in Penclawdd have nearly all gone back to Land Rovers - the Jap stuff just wasn't lasting as long!!!

Rear crossmembers do not "go" - they may get scabby and need patching but the strength is still there - mine is from 1988 and has been used by the Police and coastguards and is still going strong!!!

Also there is this great stuff called paint - also washing off with fresh water works wonders as well.
Old 23 March 2006, 06:15   #49

Town: Chertsey
Boat name: Aqua Legends I
Make: Avon Searider 5.4m
Engine: Yam 90
MMSI: 235035787
I currently use the Nissan Patrol GDR 4.2 Straight Six manual. (1994)
Plenty of pulling power, does'nt seem to now its pulling. Allways been very forgiving. Little bit juicy. Cheap to get hold of due to the engine size. Maintenance better than Shogun or Landcruiser.

The Nissan towed better than a V6 Shogun. Had a Defender 110, bullet proof but a little ruff around the edges, but as said before will do just about anything you ask of it. The nice thing about the Nissan is its weight. 2300kg, which gives a very controlled tow.

Good luck with the hunting for a new tonka toy.
Oxygen Toxicity is for Life

Old 24 June 2006, 21:38   #50

Well - finally found the one I wanted

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone out there who offered advice a few weeks ago when I asked about Disco's. This is what I finally bought.

'03' Disco, ES spec, Diesel, Manual, Unmarked & doen't even squeak & rattle inside. Had it on the Dealers off road course yesterday - awesome performance & obviously capable of so much more.

Only thing - I filled it up this morning - £75! Will be trailing with it tomorrow if the weathers good enough.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Disco 002 (Small).jpg
Views:	211
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	20351   Click image for larger version

Name:	Disco 001 (Small).jpg
Views:	156
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	20352  
Old 24 June 2006, 22:07   #51

Well done - looks great. Just remember they need a bit more servicing than some others.

They are awesome towing machines - even my 300tdi is amazing.

http://www.rib.net/forum/attachment....chmentid=20178

Have a look at this and you will see what I mean!!!
Old 25 June 2006, 00:03   #52
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Jesus Codders!

You should have asked and I'd have brought a tractor unit down to tow it with. We've got a shunter with a normal towhitch as well as nato and a 5th wheel

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2006, 00:37   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nos4r2
Jesus Codders!

You should have asked and I'd have brought a tractor unit down to tow it with. We've got a shunter with a normal towhitch as well as nato and a 5th wheel
Believe it or not it was actually the same length as an artic but 8" wider!!! Disco was really greay though - load was SO stable - must have been thanks to 3 axles......
Old 25 June 2006, 01:56   #54
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn
Believe it or not it was actually the same length as an artic but 8" wider!!! Disco was really greay though - load was SO stable - must have been thanks to 3 axles......
Bloody hell... That's not a legal length to tow with a car is it?

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2006, 08:57   #55

Town: mansfield
Length: no boat
Send a message via MSN to osprey__viper
Quote:
Originally Posted by BogMonster

HDC is only as good as the tyres holding the vehical to the road. A Disco 2 has a target speed of approx 2mph. However if the tyres aren't good this will vary due to loss of grip. When HDC comes in if it detects a locked wheel it will release that wheel. It is a common thing for worn tyres to cause a lock up sooner, so by the time your at the bottom of the hill the vehical has fought against it self and picked up speed. Hope this is clear

Jeff, excellent choice I see it has the optional extra, of side mouldings. They tended to be standard only on ES premium models of that year. Keep an eye on the water level cos some 03 TD5's came out the factory with somwhat 'soft' cylinder heads. Ask the dealer to search L/R database to see if any work like that has been done under warrenty. Also ask him if the fuel pipe recall has been done. They tended to go on the 'u' bend out of the tank and spray the rear of the vehical with a fine mist of diesel. This should have all been done under warranty, which I would imagine yours is about to expire if not allready???.

If you experience wheel slip, remember that the TC target speed is in the region of 1500 rpm. So you have to accelerate to get the TC to work.
Old 25 June 2006, 11:40   #56

Everything I read about HDC said 4mph - I had a TD5 Discovery on lease for 15,000 miles. Even on tarmac it only slowed the vehicle to 4mph - no wheel slip!!! It was an automatic so HDC was useful - even locked into low range 1st the auto doesn't have the same braking as a manual.

As a contrast my 300tdi Discovery does about 1.5mph in low range 1st down the steepest hills I can find.
Old 25 June 2006, 11:42   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nos4r2
Bloody hell... That's not a legal length to tow with a car is it?
Nobody really seems to have a clue - some people make glider trailers 20m long!!! Apparently they get away with it cos it's an "indivisible load". Unless you saw a boat in half with a chainsaw I think the same applies.

I wasn't bothered by anyone when I was towing - I think as long as it all LOOKS safe you are ok. I asked a traffic cop who said all he bothered about was weight - as long as it is in the allowed limits you are fine.
Old 25 June 2006, 19:38   #58

Cheers Osprey - will keep an eye on things.

Went to pick the RIB up this morning - looking forward to trying out the Disco. Checked with the Coastguard & they told me poor viz & force 3 going to 5-6 and deteriorating with rain. Called it off as had a couple of people with us who wouldn't have appreciated it. Drove out to coast to ask about berthing (and to give the disco a run). Sea like a millpond. Hardly a ripple. Then the sun came out. Well p.....ed off. Could have had a 4 hours run out before the football.
Old 25 June 2006, 23:58   #59

Town: Oakley
Boat name: Zerstörer
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Suzuki DF 140
MMSI: 235050131
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn
Nobody really seems to have a clue - some people make glider trailers 20m long!!! Apparently they get away with it cos it's an "indivisible load". Unless you saw a boat in half with a chainsaw I think the same applies.

I wasn't bothered by anyone when I was towing - I think as long as it all LOOKS safe you are ok. I asked a traffic cop who said all he bothered about was weight - as long as it is in the allowed limits you are fine.
Best people to ask if you are worried about towing anything is you insurance company. After all they are the people who make recompense when it all goes wrong.
In my honest opinion its always worth being upfront with your insurance company. You can always change them if they don't satisfy you.
best of luck with your rigs lads. I'm looking to get a 90 like Steve Luxtons. Just need some moorland like he has in that picture in Hampshire. Guess I'll have to go back to my native Yorkshire.