Boat name: INDE
Make: LOMAC 730
Length: 7m +
Engine: 200 Merc.
MMSI: Please press 1
Send a message via Skype™ to Limey Linda
Did I get ripped off?

Hi all
For the first time in 40 years I decided to have one of my cars serviced by a garage.
Have a 2003 Isuzu Rodeo V6. with 78,000 miles. Work included: replace timing belt and water pump ( was told always replace w/pump) replace headlight bulb. They tacked on replacement of two radiator hoses as they said they were weeping. I was horrified at the cost of $687.00 US. To be fair that did include picking the car up from my wife's place of work, driving her home after work and coming to our house to collect her to pick it up. I am new to this "pay for repairs stuff" Is that a reasonable price for the work done? either side of the pond.
Old 04 December 2006, 23:45   #2

Town: Fareham
Length: 6m +
£350 Sounds about right for British prices to do that type of work. In actual fact it's probably cheap.

Only you can decide if you where ripped off tho.

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 December 2006, 03:33   #3

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hightower View Post
£350 Sounds about right for British prices to do that type of work. In actual fact it's probably cheap.

Only you can decide if you where ripped off tho.
Ahh but remember it seems cheap to us because the $ is so very weak at the moment. Taking into account average wages etc it would be more like £500 in the UK. For a main dealer that would probably be about right but who in their right mind would use a main dealer unless the car was brand new?
Old 05 December 2006, 07:35   #4
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Codders
who in their right mind would use a main dealer unless the car was brand new?
Someone who got an aftermarket warranty with a used car. They specify main dealer servicing.

I don't think we can really comment if we're in the UK. I thought it was quite fair having seen Isuzu spares prices but that's here-not in the USA.

Last time I checked the price on a genuine Isuzu waterpump it was £150ish (with pattern at £50)
(That was for a 2.0 diesel though)

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 December 2006, 13:15   #5

Town: Marblehead, MA
Boat name: Bouncy Pumpkin
Make: Avon Searider 5.4
Length: 5m +
Engine: Evinrude 90 E-TEC
I ran the sales department at a Saab dealer for a time, so I beleive I have decent sense of repair pricing, dealer and otherwise. Timingg belts are often a PITA to access. Not hard to do, but often require more disassembly/reassembly of bits that are in the way of an otherwise straightforward job. IMHO, that price seems about right. Perhaps a tad on the high side, but certainly not a rip-off, particularly considering the service they provided. Typically a shop that will provide that level of service is going to do quality work, so paying a few dollars more is worth it. Again, IMHO...

Replacing the radiator hoses is either a case of "throw it in to up the bill", or more likely, a heads up, eyes open approach to the entire cooling system as they replaced the pump. No good shop wants you coming back 2-3 months after they replaced the water pump griping about them not noting bad hoses while they were at it. You'd be more upset that they missed something like that!
Old 05 December 2006, 16:30   #6

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Probably in the area of $115/hr labor rate, isn't it?

Figure a couple/three hours minimum, and, though it's expensive, isn't all that far out of line.

Welcome to the wonderful world of car repair.

Going to an independent garage may help a bit on the labor rate (and somewhat on parts pricing), but you may well find yourself lacking a vehicle for a few days while they await parts.

Sorry to hear about the hit your wallet took;

jky
Old 05 December 2006, 19:22   #7

Town: San Carlos, Mexico
Boat name: INDE
Make: LOMAC 730
Engine: 200 Merc.
MMSI: Please press 1
Send a message via Skype™ to Limey Linda
Thanks to all

I guess that on balance I did not get ripped off. yes, it was an independant and the work was done same day. Price for water pump was $189.00 US ( verified factory part) and $53.00 for the timing belt. Still hurts tho. I guess my arse will sqeak all the way to the bank door to pay the Visa bill. Does WD 40 sting?
Regards and thanks.

PS. Using the dollar/pound conversion rate really does not work. In my experience the pound and dollar have about the same purchasing power in their respective countries. IE. 1 pound of sirloin steak costs $3.00US or 3 pounds UK.
Old 05 December 2006, 19:29   #8

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limey Linda View Post

PS. Using the dollar/pound conversion rate really does not work. In my experience the pound and dollar have about the same purchasing power in their respective countries. IE. 1 pound of sirloin steak costs $3.00US or 3 pounds UK.
Depends on what you are buying - for locally produced stuff then yes. Otherwise I would say no. I have been looking at a new digi camera - $650 in the US - £340 in the UK.

Buying stuff made in the US is a serious bargain but if it's stuff that has been imported INTO the USA then it's a different story - the waek $ makes stuff from the Far East much more expensive.