Old 06 July 2005, 16:14   #221

Town: London
Make: Larson
Length: 7m +
Engine: Volvo D4 260hp DP
Well had some performance improving and fuel saving gadgets fitted today

At the moment I have to say that the performance does not seem that much better at speed with these new additions, I just did 200miles on the motorway today to test them, I will check the fuel consumption when I fill up later. I do think that the Van Aaken ECU upgrade has blown me away and that any small percentage of increase with the new additions is minor compared to the stomping Van Aacker

These are the gadgets I had fitted today :-

http://www.hiclone.co.uk/

http://www.knfilters.co.uk/

I will report on my findings but would like to know if anyone else uses either or both of these.
Old 06 July 2005, 19:25   #222

Town: Bucks
Boat name: Blue & Ding Dong
Make: Ribeye,SR4 & Bombard
Length: 6m +
Engine: 115,50 & 15Hp Yams
Do not think you will see any improvement, as this Landy must weigh a extra ton with all these accessories
Old 06 July 2005, 20:05   #223

Ah!! Perhaps that's the problem It's going to the main dealers on Saturday for the work lamp to be fitted to the rear to light up the boat when recovering at night, also get the roof rack ladder fitted, I'm not having the roof rack at the moment as I don't need one (don't ask ), but due to the drilling required for the ladder the warranty is not valid unless fitted by the main dealer. Actually the fitting of the work lamp will be dependent on the ladder position so thought I may as well have one. Also having the steering wheel and gear knobs upgraded to leather as the plastic doesn't feel very nice (I need some home comforts) . I am actually starting to think perhaps I haven't saved as much as I thought

I must say it's looking nice, and is one of the fastest Defender 90's on the road now Towing at 120mph perhaps not, but with the massive torque and power it has it will be one hell of a towing machine

Can't wait for the warranty to run out then I can get the new big intercooler, Stainless steel exhaust sytem, winch bumper and overdrive fitted, just 2yrs 354 days to go

I won't talk about the pending refurbishment of the 'old' seats in Connolly leather as that could be perceived as showing off And I won't talk about the adaptions to the internal guages and knobs by a fine engineering company, but pics will be supplied
Old 06 July 2005, 20:19   #224

Safety Gear

I want to get my vehicle prepared for towing, could I please have advice on safety gear and spares that should be carried, I have plenty of room and would rather be well prepared. I have ordered snow chains but need ideas re punctures, accidents, breakdowns e.t.c. I have a first aid kit, oxygen and warning triangle, what else please?
Old 06 July 2005, 20:28   #225

Town: Newfoundland
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by peteb
I won't talk about the pending refurbishment of the 'old' seats in Connolly leather as that could be perceived as showing off
And posting reams about buying the most blinged up and accessory laden Land Rover ever isn't? WTF do you need snow chains for in fkin Kent?!
Old 06 July 2005, 20:49   #226
exspyrd trayd membir

Town: inn wiliks hed
Make: Redbay 6.5
Engine: Twin Etec 90hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan
WTF do you need snow chains for in fkin Kent?!

yew nead too mynd yorr langwijj a bitt yew inyewit nobb

enywaiys yew arr missin de poynt. wot peetc iz tellin yew iz nott bowt iz lanrowver

hee iz tellin yew dat hee iz a ricch bastud hoo cann bi wotevver hee wonts an yew pezants cann orl fuk orf

gArf
Old 06 July 2005, 21:07   #227

Oi, garfish! I am tryin' ter 'elp others get a moat-er at a great price and also 'ave fan wif a bit of blin'. the bloomin' fan is in personalisin' the Jam Jar just loike a rib, just a shame there aint rib importers ter brin' them daahhhn ter a more realistic price. so chill aahhht and take it as a bit of fan, people can learn at me expense as ter wot they do or do not need. there 'as been a load of great advice given on 'ere which is of use ter loads of people. so can we 'ave a bit less of the jelousy bit and butcher's on it as a bit of a project? I 'ope ya can understand this ok :-)

There 're sum the frogs and logs gonads ribs on 'ere, I daan't clock the same problems wif that, so what's the big Ian Beale?
Old 06 July 2005, 21:22   #228

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan
And posting reams about buying the most blinged up and accessory laden Land Rover ever isn't? WTF do you need snow chains for in fkin Kent?!
Snow chains happen to be amazing in mud!!! Much better to have proper road tyres and then stick chains on them than to have mud pluggers that are shit on the road!!!

I have driven Landies many times in snow without chains - with chains they must be really awesome!!!

Remember years ago seeing a police Range Rover pulling an articulated lorry off the motorway in snow - even more amazing the lorry was on it's side!!!
Old 06 July 2005, 21:42   #229

Town: Co. Clare
Make: Redbay
Engine: Inboard diesel Yamah
''It's going to the main dealers on Saturday for the work lamp to be fitted to the rear to light up the boat when recovering at night, also get the roof rack ladder fitted, I'm not having the roof rack at the moment as I don't need one (don't ask ), but due to the drilling required for the ladder the warranty is not valid unless fitted by the main dealer. Actually the fitting of the work lamp will be dependent on the ladder position so thought I may as well have one. Also having the steering wheel and gear knobs upgraded to leather as the plastic doesn't feel very nice (I need some home comforts) . I am actually starting to think perhaps I haven't saved as much as I thought

I must say it's looking nice, and is one of the fastest Defender 90's on the road now Towing at 120mph perhaps not, but with the massive torque and power it has it will be one hell of a towing machine

Can't wait for the warranty to run out then I can get the new big intercooler, Stainless steel exhaust sytem, winch bumper and overdrive fitted, just 2yrs 354 days to go

I won't talk about the pending refurbishment of the 'old' seats in Connolly leather as that could be perceived as showing off And I won't talk about the adaptions to the internal guages and knobs by a fine engineering company, but pics will be supplied ''

Is all this true ?
Old 07 July 2005, 10:57   #230

Town: Leicester
Boat name: Vixen
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Suzuki OB 175
MMSI: 235071839
You got a winch yet?
If not why not; then get all the recovery gear
ground anchor, some good ones around now
sand ladders - can go on new roofrack
How about a Mantec Services steel cubby box they're great.
front tow hitch for launching brilliant visibility easy to manuovre(sp?)
Waterproof seat covers - obviously the best
reversing camera so you can see the hitch
all the trailer lighting spares you can shake a stick at.

As codders has said snow chains v.good on a set of ATs to make them mud tyres and cheaper!
Simon B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 July 2005, 11:20   #231
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Never mind all the bling. Have you got a spare set of bearings for the trailer?

John
Old 07 July 2005, 19:00   #232
exspyrd trayd membir

Town: inn wiliks hed
Make: Redbay 6.5
Engine: Twin Etec 90hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by peteb
I am tryin' ter 'elp others
dats wot dokter crippin sed yew twatt

Quote: