Old 01 July 2005, 09:26   #201

Town: London
Make: Larson
Length: 7m +
Engine: Volvo D4 260hp DP
ECU upgrade being done tomorrow! I had the choice of those mentioned here in some of the replies, one was a permanent re-mapping of the ECU which apparently gave a bit more than the 'plug in' box's, but the thought of messing with the ECU on a brand new car frightened the life out of me. During my research I was also told that as they re mapped the ECU with new software they had to scramble parts of it so that Land Rover did not know it was there, this apparently meant that if someone was later checking for a fault using the ECU some of the data would be scrambled if anyone knows anything other than this please let me know, it was just what I was told. There is no going back with this once remapped it is done, I am sure if they are boasting about the power increase any dealer would realise by driving it what had been done, therefore invalidating the vehicles warranty

So, I opted for the Van Aaken box of tricks, sold worldwide and recommended kindly on here, it arrives tomorrow and will give :-

Power raised from: 122 Bhp to 155 Bhp (90 KW to 114 KW)
Torque raised from: 221 Lbft to 269 Lbft (300 Nm to 365 Nm)

http://www.vanaaken.com/europe/index.asp

I will keep you updated on the performance, it costs £470 so it could take a few weeks to get my money back on fuel saving of 5% but I will have a load of extra torque for pulling the boat This box is a plug and play, so no messing about and can be removed if you want for specific reasons e.g. to take to a new vehicle, sell or whatever other reason you can think of

I have spoken to my insurance company and there is NO additional premium for me to pay, so better to be honest with them
Old 01 July 2005, 09:39   #202

Town: Bucks
Boat name: Blue & Ding Dong
Make: Ribeye,SR4 & Bombard
Length: 6m +
Engine: 115,50 & 15Hp Yams
Hi remapping can be reversed!
Are you going to remove the box every time it goes in to LR?
Keep us updated & can you post some photos of fitting!
Nick
Old 01 July 2005, 09:43   #203

Mine is so fast at the moment without anything I was wondering if they had upgarded the standard software in the ECU
Old 01 July 2005, 09:47   #204

Town: Bucks
Boat name: Blue & Ding Dong
Make: Ribeye,SR4 & Bombard
Engine: 115,50 & 15Hp Yams
I have to say the Disco 3 is getting rather nippy for a car of 2.7 tons
Nick
Old 01 July 2005, 12:32   #205

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Quote:
Originally Posted by peteb
Mine is so fast at the moment without anything I was wondering if they had upgarded the standard software in the ECU
Thats the thing Pete - all the things people whinge about with LRs are based on the old series III - poor performance - harsh ride etc etc = they may look the same but LRs have changed just a bit over the years!!!

If you think that is so fast though try the V8!!! My old 110 is really quick - frightens the crap out of the boy racers!!! Will do 105mph gps verified - hills are fine but strong headwinds CAN be felt - big roofrack and 4 dinner plate sized spots on the roof don't help!!!
Old 01 July 2005, 12:34   #206

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scary Des
Well done Codders you’ve sussed the picture uploading thing so there is now no excuse not to show us a picture of your RIB Des
Couldn't be arsed with resizing pics etc before but since someone mentioned the powertools shell right click tool there is no stopping me!!!

Expect to see some piccies within the next few days - boat SHOULD be finished 1st week of August with a bit of luck.
Old 01 July 2005, 17:00   #207

Yes the Defender is the vehicle of all vehicles as far as I am concerned, non of this fake superficial nonsense with stuck on plastic crap to make it look 'cool' It does exactly what it says on the packet and I am loving it the more I drive it, 1,000 miles in a week so it has certainly captured me hook line and sinker

A no nonsense vehicle for a no nonsense person, perfect. So I guess the superficial vehicles are for superficial people then

Can't wait for tomorrow to give it a blast with the Van Aaker, getting a few more gadgets fitted as well

I will post pictures of the Van Aaker upgrade in progress, just plug and play but I will try to make it as exciting as I can
Old 01 July 2005, 17:11   #208

Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn
Couldn't be arsed with resizing pics etc before but since someone mentioned the powertools shell right click tool there is no stopping me!!!

Expect to see some piccies within the next few days - boat SHOULD be finished 1st week of August with a bit of luck.
What is the powertools shell right click?
Old 01 July 2005, 18:09   #209

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteb
Yes the Defender is the vehicle of all vehicles as far as I am concerned, non of this fake superficial nonsense with stuck on plastic crap to make it look 'cool' It does exactly what it says on the packet and I am loving it the more I drive it, 1,000 miles in a week so it has certainly captured me hook line and sinker

A no nonsense vehicle for a no nonsense person, perfect. So I guess the superficial vehicles are for superficial people then

Can't wait for tomorrow to give it a blast with the Van Aaker, getting a few more gadgets fitted as well

I will post pictures of the Van Aaker upgrade in progress, just plug and play but I will try to make it as exciting as I can
What happened to your 3000 miles a year then???

Meant powertoys

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/d...powertoys.mspx

Add ons for XP - most of them are a pain but the image resizer is SO easy to use - just right click on the pic or pictures you wish to use and away to go!!!

http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...ertoySetup.exe

Can't claim the credit for it - someone else posted it on here a while ago.
Old 01 July 2005, 19:02   #210

Brilliant thanks, downloaded scientific calculator to try and calculate how my new Defender is SO powerful and was SO cheap Also downloaded the image sizer, so easy now better than fiddling in photoshop

Just out of interest could I 'chip' my Volvo Penta 5.0Gxi DP ? Could perhaps take my 270bhp to 350bhp
Old 01 July 2005, 20:24   #211

Town: Co. Clare
Make: Redbay
Engine: Inboard diesel Yamah
td5

remove the middle exhaust box for more umph - cost effective and reversable modification. Do search on 'twisted performance'
Old 01 July 2005, 20:33   #212

I have read that a stainless steel exhaust also gives more performance and also a different air filter, does anyone know anything about these modifications?
Old 01 July 2005, 21:51   #213

Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn
What happened to your 3000 miles a year then???
Ha, Ha!! Codders you were right all along, the most amazing machine and a vast difference to the 'olden days' Defenders, but the romantisism (is that a word?) is still there, something about getting a lot out of a little, and roughing it. I have the plushest and poshest of cars and guess what, they will be the ones doing little mileage now, I have found 'Love' again

Now where are those hills in London?

Oh! and I wonder if I would get the same feeling in a RIB rather than a posh Gin Palace? Could then be the Total love all round

Just need a 'basic' wife now, you know one that doesn't expect a lot, is happy with basics but likes it a bit rough and performs like no other

Updated pics including ECU upgrade in full pictorial detail by 1pm, tomorrow

Anyone wanting a Brand New Defender for £17,500 On the road should look at the google link 2nd in from the left at the bottom of this page for www.lapworthautos.com some new ones now available in interesting colours with loads of free extras, alloys e.t.c.. You will see how rip off Britain is still at it and who in their right mind will pay a Uk dealer £5,800 more for the SAME vehicle with the SAME warranties and breakdown cover
Old 02 July 2005, 07:28   #214

Town: NIVELLES BELGIUM
Boat name: INDEPENDENT
Make: BWM RAPIER
Length: 9m +
Engine: Ob 2*250/2t yams hpd
MMSI: 235030702
Just need a 'basic' wife now, you know one that doesn't expect a lot, is happy with basics but likes it a bit rough and performs like no other

Can't you trade her in for a different model??

Jonathan
Old 02 July 2005, 10:06   #215

Town: Bradford on Avon
Boat name: tbc
Make: Sunseeker (AshleyD)
Engine: 2 x coal burners
Sorry if this has been asked already, but 22 pages is a lot to surf!

Pete, what are the brakes like on the new Defender? Might you regret not having ABS ?

Cheers.

Ian.
Old 02 July 2005, 10:46   #216

Brambles, the brakes are excellent, I took it for a spin to Manchester in the week to run it in and at one stage on the motorway in the fast lane everything came to a halt traffic wise I used my military cadence braking training, not quite as fast as ABS but it certainly stopped me in good time, I could see vehicles in my rear view mirror locked up with brakes smoking and made a quick right onto the shingle, the first vehicle behind me was an X5 and if I had not moved onto the shingle he may have had a taste of 'Bates' tow bar up his snout . Anyway, I was dead impressed with its stopping power, but I must admit it all seemed like it was in slow motion as I pumped the brakes and the car in front came VERY close, even more interesting when you have not tested the brakes in those circumstances before, and again it is wise to keep your 3 secondish gap, had I been towing 2.5 t of boat behind it would have been a totally different matter So lesson learnt, keep your distance and keep an eye on the w.nkers behind who maybe don't

Well had a few bits put on this morning at the garage, an 8mm solid Stainless steel plate (beautifully engineered) to protect the steering, and a galvanised dif guard, helps when you come across those high kerbs in London Still waiting for my Saturday delivery of the Van Aaken will post pics of that being fitted 'if' it arrives today.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Copy of DSC_1436 (Small).JPG
Views:	181
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	13060  
Old 02 July 2005, 12:47   #217

Bloooooody Hellllllllllllllll MENTAL I have just fitted the Van Aaken ECU upgrade kit and been for a spin in the Defender, SCARY!! is not the word, it FLIES LIKE HELL Perhaps I am not used to that much power in a 4x4 but I have a Porsche Boxter and a 911 so know a bit about power, but this thing freeks you out, it's just not normal to be so high off the ground flying that fast its just like a Sportscar!!!! A bit scary when you slam on the brakes at 70mph after just a few seconds accelerating, I wouldn't want to know what it would be like at 120mph The G force throws you back into the seat

I'm going to have a coffee and calm down, but here are some pictures of the fitting, pretty simple but scary, I read the instructions 5 times before I 'crimped' the crucial wire, a bit like bomb disposal
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Copy of DSC_1457 (Small) (2).JPG
Views:	207
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	13061   Click image for larger version

Name:	Copy of DSC_1458 (Small) (6).JPG
Views:	229
Size:	40.8 KB
ID:	13062   Click image for larger version

Name:	Copy of DSC_1460 (Small) (7).JPG
Views:	179
Size:	31.5 KB
ID:	13063   Click image for larger version

Name:	Copy of DSC_1461 (Small).JPG
Views:	180
Size:	38.4 KB
ID:	13064   Click image for larger version

Name:	Copy of DSC_1463 (Small).JPG
Views:	169
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	13065  

Old 02 July 2005, 12:51   #218

A couple more, the last one shows the Van Acken box tucked to the right of the ECU.

Van Acken RULES!! They state that you get a saving of about 5-10% in fuel, but with this 'Rocket ship' I guess that is dependant on NOT putting your foot down too much. The power will be brilliant towing the boat, but I REALLY think someone could KILL themselves with the power it now gives, it MUST be treated with RESPECT.

YES, one HELL of a MEAN MACHINE now
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Copy of DSC_1465 (Small).JPG
Views:	208
Size:	37.2 KB
ID:	13066   Click image for larger version

Name:	Copy of DSC_1466 (Small) (4).JPG
Views:	164
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	13067  
Old 02 July 2005, 13:03   #219

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brambles
Sorry if this has been asked already, but 22 pages is a lot to surf!

Pete, what are the brakes like on the new Defender? Might you regret not having ABS ?

Cheers.

Ian.
Brakes on Defenders disks all round so very powerful. Handbrake is on seperate drum on propshaft - operates all 4 wheels and must NEVER be used in motion!!!

As to the lack of antilock -

Antilock brakes are very over rated - they are great for inexperienced drivers but have possibly lead to an INCREASE in accidents because people think that they can drive like idiots in the wet!!!

You may not skid with antilock but it will still take you a LOT longer to stop!!!

In the dry they really don't help - the Ultima holds the world record 0-100mph-0 - so it obviously has great brakes - no anti lock - just watch the video - no traction control either and yet just a hint of wheelspin - just atiny chirp!!!

http://www.ultimasports.co.uk/record.html

Watch the videos - very impressive!!! Especially the noise!!!

In snow antilock can be dangerous - 2 years ago I had a Vectra SRi V6 on hire - great car but in snow oh my God!!! Started breaking for a junction and the ABS kicked in big time - car just would NOT stop - in the end I had to come off the brakes - blip the throttle and go down the box.Another time I just started to slide sideways - the ONLY way to regain control was to accelerate!!!

I took my old Land Rover out the same night into the Brecon Beacons - snow was up to my knees and we were the only vehicle out - it was amazing - the LR hardly noticed it. There was one really scary moment though - narrow road with a sharp hairpin and an 800' drop!!! No barrier either!!! I was in low range second - the golden rule is NEVER touch the brakes - of course I did but very gently - immeditaely started to slide towards the drop!!! It takes some real bottle to take your foot off the brake and accelerate towards the drop!!! As soon as I did total control was restored and the LR powered around the bend no problem.

the ONLY reason I would want ABS on a LR is to have traction control - not vital - it will already go almost anywhere but with traction control it is even more unstoppable!!!
Old 02 July 2005, 22:24   #220

Took it for a spin on the motorway this evening, verdict.....Magnificent, magic, brilliant, just like a car, what a dream to drive, and as for the fun you can have with some of the 'posh' 4x4's well that just puts a great big grin on your face, whilst observing there look of disbelief as this brick speeds past them

So thanks to you all for your kind advice and tip offs of what to do and where to go, I just hope that some others will take the plunge and be able to enjoy this fantastic toy