Old 06 December 2012, 20:09   #61

Town: LONDON
Make: SR4/ZODIAC/3D
Length: 4m +
Engine: 30T/40T
Thought you might be k., there are cabbies and there are cabbies.....there are cyclists and there are cyclists. I'm a cyclist.

Old 06 December 2012, 20:38   #62

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 90
My biggest problem with these guys is that they hold up traffic in slower moving systems .. then, they act like a smug bunch who can easily dodge the slow stuff when it stops, and refuse to wait with the rest of us, so the result is you have to slow to their speed and overtake the same guy several times .. the result is,.. it slows the whole flow down to their speed, until you stop then they pass you again .. and that includes them wandering through lights etc as has been mentioned, and the whole thing begins again

Arrogant riders that do this need to get off the road .. it just enrages other road users.

I get so pi$$ed off by it, especially if I'm HGV driving, because other motorists wont let you out, I block the inside off so the fu**ers cant pass ... some cylists get the message but loads dont, and when your'e 7 feet up, and 9 feet away from them under left side, you have no chance of seeing them sometimes

I used to enjoy cycling, and I still respect those that do it, like every road user should ... but the w@nkers that take the piss need a good slap
Old 06 December 2012, 20:40   #63

Genius Bigmuz7
Old 06 December 2012, 21:20   #64

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Engine: Etec 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by mister p View Post
Genius Bigmuz7
expand ...
Old 06 December 2012, 21:26   #65

Lights, arrogance, smugness and a good slap........there's my expansion sir
Old 06 December 2012, 21:49   #66

Town: belfast
Boat name: portnahaven
Make: Red Bay Boats
Length: 7m +
Engine: yamaha 245hp diesel
MMSI: 235089641
As a cyclist, all be it an electric bike, and motorist i can see both sides of the coin. I do think the guy with the camera in the programme is way over the top, Maybe going out of his way to become an accident. I notice he had no handle bar mirror. I would not leave the house without one, as i spend half my time on the saddle looking rearward.
When i come to a traffic stop i pull up in middle of the lane behind the car in front. That way the car behind and in front knows i am there (simples). Going through the nearside (blindside) of cars is crazy and with lorries is fatal.
Like all road users, red lights mean stop, etc. etc.
I use bike lanes where possible as someone took the time to paint them on the roads, and we can use bus lanes. If i am in the bus lane in heavy traffic i simply stop lift the bike on the pavement and wave the bus through - only takes 3 seconds. Same with lorries or build up of cars on back roads - usually earn two blasts from lorry horns.
No mirror no see them.
Old 06 December 2012, 21:56   #67
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmuz7 View Post
My biggest problem with these guys is that they hold up traffic in slower moving systems .. then, they act like a smug bunch who can easily dodge the slow stuff when it stops, and refuse to wait with the rest of us, so the result is you have to slow to their speed and overtake the same guy several times .. the result is,.. it slows the whole flow down to their speed, until you stop then they pass you again .. and that includes them wandering through lights etc as has been mentioned, and the whole thing begins again

Arrogant riders that do this need to get off the road .. it just enrages other road users.

I get so pi$$ed off by it, especially if I'm HGV driving, because other motorists wont let you out, I block the inside off so the fu**ers cant pass ... some cylists get the message but loads dont, and when your'e 7 feet up, and 9 feet away from them under left side, you have no chance of seeing them sometimes

I used to enjoy cycling, and I still respect those that do it, like every road user should ... but the w@nkers that take the piss need a good slap
Quote:
Genius Bigmuz7
And I agree with him.

Most car drivers have 3 mirrors and can see directly behind them, though mostly they don't use any of them.

In my truck, I have 6, and I DO use them properly, but still have fairly limited view angles and big blind spots.I need to spend the majority of my time looking in the direction of travel whilst using them appropriately. Do the maths on your chances of being seen.

I'll block cyclists from undertaking (I do like that word. It's quite descriptive of their destination if they overtake on the inside regularly) because:-

1)I don't really want to kill them.It's a lot of forms to fill out and anyone who's washed a dead animal from a spray suppresion flap will appreciate the smell.

2)While I'm messing around going up and down 5 gears to stay at their 20mph as they flit past and hold me up again, I'm burning enough extra fuel to take them to their destination in a Hummer, with another one to carry their bicycle.

Ps. my favourite cyclist-related incident to date has to be the day I was turning left (yes, I was indicating...)into a site compound on the pavement in Oxford in a 17 tonne rigid. The site compound wire fence unbolted and was opened into the road for me to go in.
Enter cyclist, from out of sight directly behind the truck, up the nearside at about 20 mph when he realises there's nowhere to go. He bounced off the side of the truck, and kept going into the building site compound which had nowhere to go either, except into the fence.

Pps........

Apparently the continued pressure on the perineum from a 'roadie' type razor sharp cycle saddle causes restrictions to the blood flow to the penis in turn causing impotence. It explains a lot.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 December 2012, 21:56   #68

My boys, 8 and 14 call them "CYCLOTRONS".
Garbbed up in Spandex and wearing "tap shoes" whilst having an arrogance that isn't backed up with politeness or awareness.........they don't immediately endear themselves.
A biker, on the other hand, stopped to show us his tyres, wheels, engine etc., the boys ( knowing motorbikes ) were comforted by an understanding and engaging fellow.
My sons ride their bikes, but they love motorbikes, and this reaction just nailled it for me.
We go to Box Hill, ride to the Ace and generally go on our SR4 as often as possible, Thames, South Coast etc.,
The boys are open minded but they do highlight the cyclists as the biggest t***s.
Old 06 December 2012, 22:06   #69
CJL

Town: London/Oxford
Make: Ribcrafts
Engine: 150hp/2x115hp
MMSI: 235090215
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to CJL
Erm.....am I the only one who thought he was riding in the middle of the lanes and awful lot? Maybe it was the perspective on the right hand side of the helmet.

The obvious and much bigger menace are those stupid wheelie bags on the tube. The next time one cuts me up or goes over my toe it's going down the bit in the middle of the escalators!!!

Chris
Old 06 December 2012, 22:10   #70
Redbay supporter

Town: onn de moov
Boat name: bote
Make: kevvin
Engine: jett dryve
dat nobbur kirnys orijinal kwestiun woz arr syclists a noosance

I av too saiy yess

Avin too jetwosh de blud an gorr ofn de weelarchis ov mi trukk iz teedius inn de ekstreem

Butt wot i wont too noe iz wy wen yew remmove ther hed fromm de suspenshun arms thay arr orlwaiys warin a stoopid grinn.

Wher doo I beegin?😃
wiLlfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 December 2012, 22:14   #71

That's because their head is in their arse
Old 06 December 2012, 23:40   #72
Redbay supporter

Town: onn de moov
Boat name: bote
Make: kevvin
Engine: jett dryve
Quote:
That's because their head is in their arse
Rite oh

Iz dat wy yew grinn a lott

Wher doo I beegin?😃
wiLlfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 December 2012, 03:49   #73

Town: Sheepy Parva
Boat name: Sadly Sold
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiLlfish View Post

Rite oh

Iz dat wy yew grinn a lott
Old 07 December 2012, 10:07   #74
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJL View Post
Erm.....am I the only one who thought he was riding in the middle of the lanes and awful lot? Maybe it was the perspective on the right hand side of the helmet.
I didn't see the original film, but defensive cyclists will often ride much further out from the kerb than motorists think they should. The reasons being:

- the gutter is full of crap that gives you punctures. Punctures are PITA and potentially dangerous.
- riding too close to the left encourages motorists to squeeze through which is dangerous.
- if some idiot does squeeze past and you are too far left you have no escape route.
- if you hit a small obstruction (rock, litter, manhole) and wobble slightly then close to the kerb = hitting kerb and potential major crash.
- if you are overtaking parked vehicles the risk of getting "doored" is reduced by keeping nearer the centre of the lane.

Accordingly my preferred position is where the 2 of a (20) sign painted on the road usually appears. If the camera is at all off set it would probably seem central.
Old 07 December 2012, 11:39   #75

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmuz7 View Post
My biggest problem with these guys is that they hold up traffic in slower moving systems ..
A bit like the chronically slow car on a winding road to the west coast - laybys a-plenty & they won't pull over for 2 mins to let the 2 mile queue of busses & lorries who can't overtake because of the road & have to make the jounrey to keep that corner of the world alive past...

If I'm at the head iof a queue with the boat (a rare occurrence, but do accasionally slow down if I know the contents of my tank aren't going to get me to the next filling station), I'll pull in. Ditto on the bike (especially on an uphill) I'll dive into a bus layby / in between a parked car or two / whatever gets me out the flow of traffic for a min or two. The extra time stopped will make s*d all difference to my arrival time.
Old 07 December 2012, 13:02   #76

Town: Sticks, N.Yorks
Boat name: Tamanco
Make: Honwave 3.5AE
Engine: Tohatsu Outboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9D280 View Post
A bit like the chronically slow car on a winding road to the west coast - laybys a-plenty & they won't pull over for 2 mins to let the 2 mile queue of busses & lorries who can't overtake because of the road & have to make the jounrey to keep that corner of the world alive past...

If I'm at the head iof a queue with the boat (a rare occurrence, but do accasionally slow down if I know the contents of my tank aren't going to get me to the next filling station), I'll pull in. Ditto on the bike (especially on an uphill) I'll dive into a bus layby / in between a parked car or two / whatever gets me out the flow of traffic for a min or two. The extra time stopped will make s*d all difference to my arrival time.
+1
Old 07 December 2012, 16:06   #77

Town: Ashton-under-Lyne Lancs
Boat name: IMOGEN
Make: Air-Craft 5.4
Engine: Suzuki df70a
MMSI: 235087492
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to kerny
+ 2
Old 07 December 2012, 16:37   #78

Town: Jersey
Boat name: Archangel
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 6m +
Engine: ETec 225
MMSI: 235063789
But surely cyclists aren't as bad as horse owners who ride their nags on the roads?
Old 07 December 2012, 17:02   #79

Town: Ashton-under-Lyne Lancs
Boat name: IMOGEN
Make: Air-Craft 5.4
Engine: Suzuki df70a
MMSI: 235087492
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to kerny
Quote:
Originally Posted by GJ0KYZ View Post
But surely cyclists aren't as bad as horse owners who ride their nags on the roads?
Scuse me Jersey !! this is a cycling thread start yer own thread
Old 07 December 2012, 19:20   #80

Boat name: ShaarkBait
Make: Zodiac 3.6 FR
Engine: Mariner 9.9 4-stroke
The bit that amazes me so much about some cyclists is how they put themselves in predicaments that even in the relative safety of a car, I would not put myself in. Some cyclists just seem to have a death wish and don't have the common sense to stay clear of potentially dangerous situations, although to be fair, some car drivers also have the same brain cell missing.

I was in a 20mph zone last week and had a cyclist literally 2ft off of my rear bumper (I could not see his head in my rear view mirror) because at 20mph I was obviously going too slow for him. If I had to slow for wildlife crossing the road, as is very common on that road, I would have saved the swan and let the cyclist deal with the consequences of his stupidity - although I suspect he would have dusted home self down and just ridden off without exchanging his non existent insurance details.