Originally Posted by CJL
Erm.....am I the only one who thought he was riding in the middle of the lanes and awful lot? Maybe it was the perspective on the right hand side of the helmet.
I didn't see the original film, but defensive cyclists will often ride much further out from the kerb than motorists think they should. The reasons being:
- the gutter is full of crap that gives you punctures. Punctures are PITA and potentially dangerous.
- riding too close to the left encourages motorists to squeeze through which is dangerous.
- if some idiot does squeeze past and you are too far left you have no escape route.
- if you hit a small obstruction (rock, litter, manhole) and wobble slightly then close to the kerb = hitting kerb and potential major crash.
- if you are overtaking parked vehicles the risk of getting "doored" is reduced by keeping nearer the centre of the lane.
Accordingly my preferred position is where the 2 of a (20) sign painted on the road usually appears. If the camera is at all off set it would probably seem central.