Town: Ashton-under-Lyne Lancs
Boat name: IMOGEN
Make: Air-Craft 5.4
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 60
MMSI: 235087492
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to kerny
For the pro cyclists... most didn't seem to adhere to this in the TV program..

https://www.gov.uk/rules-for-cyclists-59-to-82

Old 06 December 2012, 09:20   #32

Town: Sussex
Make: RIBTEC 655
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yam 150
I think 99% of the drivers in that video were completely out of order, they nearly all had the opportunity to shove his camera up his backside and none of them did, just shows how inconsiderate motorists can be to the next motorist that comes along and has put up with that sort of rubbish.

Seriously though, I cycle a lot but foremost I'm a driver so know how to behave. We get a lot of of cycle events round here, they are a PITA, we get them straddling the whole width of the road, riding three or four abreast in a line of 40 or so meters with no gaps to pull into and when you make a gap you get abuse and they stop and piss in groups by the side of the road where they feel like which is not very nice for the walkers as is against the law.

.... and it's only ever the spandex wearing road cyclists, I have never seen anyone on a mountain bike being a pain.

Old 06 December 2012, 10:40   #33

Town: London
Length: 4m +
Living in Central London, I can't imagine anything worse than cycling, it looks like a deathtrap! That said, I don't bother driving here either...

What I will say though, is that cars do stop at red lights and tend to stop at zebra crossings, cyclists (I can only speak for those that cycle from East London along Bishopsgate as I did that walk every day) do not (in the vast majority of cases). The worst part is, that they will often shoot past a bus, at probably 15mph+, which when the traffic is stopped and you're on a zebra crossing is quite dangerous!

Now I appreciate a decent number of cyclists may be very safe and good riders, also perhaps the demographic (youngish 20-30 year old men maybe?) has a higher proportion of dangerous riders. I don't know, however having walked that route for nearly 5 years I would happily put my hand on my heart and say 80%+ of cyclists ignored red lights and people crossing the road (even when the traffic had already stopped at a zebra crossing for them).

What amused me once (this is the only time I've ever seen it, again right by Liverpool St Station), they put a police guy on a bike himself who pulled cyclists over if they ran a red light. I have no idea what the police can actually do, given they have no licence as such, but I'd love to see more of this happening, even if its just a quiet word in the ear, if it stops people running lights, its a good thing!
Old 06 December 2012, 10:52   #34

Town: london
Boat name: Yo-Yo
Make: Ribeye
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yamaha 300
Get rid of the cyclists.......

Cyclist approximately 9% efficient.

Average car 34%

Co2 polluters............
Old 06 December 2012, 11:38   #35

Town: NW Surrey
Boat name: Lady Helen
Make: Avon
Length: 3m +
Engine: Out Petrol 3.5 & 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxg View Post
Get rid of the cyclists.......

Cyclist approximately 9% efficient.

Average car 34%

Co2 polluters............
Not sure that the car is more efficient than a cyclist see: Science of Cycling: Human Power | Exploratorium
Old 06 December 2012, 11:42   #36

Personally I think its clear for all to see that the only logical thing to do is for the PLA to remove the speed limits and let everyone who works in London commute via the Thames by RIB ;-)
Old 06 December 2012, 12:12   #37

Make: Valiant
Length: 5m +
Engine: 75HP 2 Stroke
There are stupid cyclists and stupid drivers. The key difference is that if I cycle into a car, I'm not going to kill anyone but myself, whereas if the car drives into me then I am stuffed. I am all for defensive cycling. When you're on a bike you have no idea if the guy trying to overtake you is intending to be safe or not. If I'm in any way worried that someone is going to endanger me I'll stick myself in the most awkward place possible and make them wait. That might seem selfish but when one of the only likely alternatives is to be propelled off my bike at 20mph by some impatient dickhead I think it's my only option.

All that said though, I can see why drivers get wound up. There are cyclists out there who put themselves in incredibly stupid places (ie. the guy who got wedged between a 4x4 and a bus on YouTube).
Old 06 December 2012, 12:25   #38

Obviously in a car vs bike scenario, the cyclist tends to come of worse, but what about pedestrians?

In London, I am far more likely (in my experience, which is anecdotal obviously) to get run over by a cyclist. I can't recall the last time I saw a car driver (in central london, where admitedly the traffic flow basically stops it being possible anyway) run a red light...
Old 06 December 2012, 12:55   #39

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
As a pedestrian I'd rather be hit by a bike than a car!...
Old 06 December 2012, 13:12   #40

Ha, of course! But in Central London, probability wise getting hit by a bike feels more likely. Maybe it's not, but it definitely feels like it is!