RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by HUMBER P4VWL View Post

They say you can use it if you clean the dust filter each use.....HOWEVER BEWARE .. your house insurance does not cover you for fire if you use it!!!! You have knowingly used a risky appliance.
Is there any evidence of insurers not paying out, or stating they won't pay out if you follow these instructions from the manufacturer and a fire still occurs? It sounds like 2+2=5.
Old 24 April 2016, 06:52   #22

Town: N Wales Chester
Boat name: Mr Smith
Make: Humber
Length: 6m +
Take your own view, but I certainly wouldn't take the risk or leave it unattended, but who on earth watches a machine for an hour and a half?

So if you don't watch it and have a fire, then the insurer finds out you were aware (waiting for repair), they'd certainly challenge the claim. A friend is a barrister who defends insurers in claims and said in the above situation you'd likely lose.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/insurance...ome-insurance/

Just pay the £99 and be done, move on.
Old 24 April 2016, 08:32   #23
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Paul, I'm with you on the buy a new one (unless your old one us fairly recent anyway if something like the element, the motor brushes or the bearing goes it is probably going to appliance heaven anyway).

However the article you linked to includes a lot of speculation, and then a categoric statement from an insurer:

...MoreThan [said] that Ms Stubbs had been given incorrect information. The insurer said a claim would be honoured if the customer took a “sensible approach to safety, such as following the manufacturer’s latest guidance”.

And the ABI said, “However, we do not know of any rejected claims as a result of a tumble dryer catching fire.”

Unattended and under constant supervision is not the same thing. Barristers always say their side would win. I predict it wouldn't even get to court, of all the things they can claim are negligent following the manufacturers guidance is quite low down the list. Now all those robbers with fuel cans in the garage...
Old 24 April 2016, 09:01   #24

Town: Gloucester
Boat name: Lunasea
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzi 140
MMSI: 232005050
Quote:
Originally Posted by HUMBER P4VWL View Post
Ours wasn't on the list.... Now it is.

Repair....Feb 17. Joke.

They say you can use it if you clean the dust filter each use.....HOWEVER BEWARE .. your house insurance does not cover you for fire if you use it!!!! You have knowingly used a risky appliance.

With two kids we use it daily in winter and with the machine over 4yrs old anyway, we've paid the £99 for a new one.
Absolutely agree with you Paul. I'm in the same position as you. My machine though is only 2 years old, so I'm loathe to pay out for a new one so soon, even at discounted price.

Either there is a problem in which case it needs to be sorted quickly or in reasonable time, or there isn't.
Old 24 April 2016, 09:39   #25

I know. Trouble is, there's so many of them and they're allegedly complying with what they need to do.

If it's still in warranty you can get a replacement for free! Ours was over 4yrs old, so not too annoyed.

We use it so much, for the sake of £99 vs risking a fire when I've two little ones, just swallowed it and moved on.
Old 24 April 2016, 14:13   #26

Town: Gloucester
Boat name: Lunasea
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzi 140
MMSI: 232005050
Just looked at the vented ones they're offering "cheap"- both use more than twice the electricity consumption of my current dryer, so guess they're just trying to shift old models at marginal cost to reduce inventory, free up warehouse space and save engineer cost.

One reason for choosing what I bought was its low energy use so spending more money on something twice as expensive to run doesn't make sense to me

Still Grrrrr!
Old 24 April 2016, 17:53   #27

Currys / Indesit

Hadn't looked at power usage, wifey sorted it. We've got the condensing one due. Have to look at that.