Old 12 March 2006, 20:20   #1

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Shaken Blue
Make: ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: outbord petrol
Send a message via MSN to hannah
Confused

hi, i think ive deleted my driver on my computer to allow my speakers to work, it happened last time when i re-installed windows and it's happened again.
I just wondered if anyone here knows what to do, before i give novatech a ring...
Hannah
Old 12 March 2006, 22:29   #2

Town: Newquay, Cornwall.
Boat name: None :(
Make: None :(
Engine: None :(
MMSI: None :(
Do you have a driver disk that came with your PC when you bought it - if not you will need to download the drivers.

Driver disk is by far the simplest option if you have one - most POC manufactures provide a single disk with the drivers for all the installed hardware. If you bought the sound card seperately and fitted it your self you should have a disk with it. Its difficult to help without knowing your level of technical ability i dont want to kick off with a load of things to try as i may completely confuse you or on the other hand you might think im trying to teach granny to suck eggs as the syaing goes.

If you dont have a disk and you want help finding the drivers on line - first we have to find out what sound card you have - is it a sound card built into mother board or is it on a seperate board plugged into a PCI or ISA slot.

If you dont understand what i just said lets start by telling me what PC you have and ill see what i can find out.
roycruse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2006, 22:30   #3

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Assuming you are running XP?

Are you sure sound isn't just muted or something? There should be a volume icon in bottom right of toolbar.

if not

Start

settings

control panel

System

hardware

device manager

See if there are any yellow or red marks in there - they will be obvious - make sure they say something about sound card etc

Red - right click - enable device

Yellow - right click - remove - then go up to top and on the ACTION tab click scan for new hardware. It may just put in all the drivers automatically as they will still be on your system - if not let it search automatically

Fingers crossed!!!
Old 13 March 2006, 14:42   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn
Assuming you are running XP?

Are you sure sound isn't just muted or something? There should be a volume icon in bottom right of toolbar.

if not

Start

settings

control panel

System

hardware

device manager

See if there are any yellow or red marks in there - they will be obvious - make sure they say something about sound card etc

Red - right click - enable device

Yellow - right click - remove - then go up to top and on the ACTION tab click scan for new hardware. It may just put in all the drivers automatically as they will still be on your system - if not let it search automatically

Fingers crossed!!!
Good idea but everything seems to be fine in that area. Thanks
Old 13 March 2006, 14:47   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by roycruse
Do you have a driver disk that came with your PC when you bought it - if not you will need to download the drivers.

Driver disk is by far the simplest option if you have one - most POC manufactures provide a single disk with the drivers for all the installed hardware. If you bought the sound card seperately and fitted it your self you should have a disk with it. Its difficult to help without knowing your level of technical ability i dont want to kick off with a load of things to try as i may completely confuse you or on the other hand you might think im trying to teach granny to suck eggs as the syaing goes.

If you dont have a disk and you want help finding the drivers on line - first we have to find out what sound card you have - is it a sound card built into mother board or is it on a seperate board plugged into a PCI or ISA slot.

If you dont understand what i just said lets start by telling me what PC you have and ill see what i can find out.
Hi ive found a "notebook driver" CD , is this what i am looking for ?
When i checked the sound settings it just doesn't recognise the speakers, it says there are no speakers detected. But there wasn't a cd what came with them. I have had them running before, but i have just whiped the whole lot off of my pc so im back to square one i guess.

If you dont think that is the right cd, would you mind pointing me in the right direction of downloading the driver
thankyou.
Old 13 March 2006, 14:51   #6

where exactly is it saying no speakers detected - and is that exactly what it says - usually soundcards are not able to detect whether or not speakers are actually connected or not.

Tell me how you get to the point where it tells you no speakers are connected.

Also what make and model of notebook is it
Old 13 March 2006, 15:09   #7

Quote:
where exactly is it saying no speakers detected - and is that exactly what it says - usually soundcards are not able to detect whether or not speakers are actually connected or not.

Actually "jack sensing" is quite common these days.
Old 13 March 2006, 15:59   #8

Town: Reading, Hants
Boat name: Juicy
Make: Sealine F43
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x 370hp
MMSI: TBC
mine is so clever it will tell you if you connect to the wrong jack on the back!!!

but it is an audiology card or however you spell it, nice bit of kit

Quote:

Old 13 March 2006, 17:14   #9

Im assuming that as hannah mentioned notebook that she is refering to the notebooks built in speakers and therefore none of this talk about jack sensing or audiology cards is helping.

Hannah can you confirm what laptop you have - and what is displaying the message ie - is it a standard windows message or do you see it only when you open the audio properties.

Although it may be just as quick to ring novatech support if thats where you bought it as they should be able to point you in the direction of the correct disk or download location.
Old 13 March 2006, 17:42   #10

Quote:
Im assuming that as hannah mentioned notebook that she is refering to the notebooks built in speakers and therefore none of this talk about jack sensing or audiology cards is helping.

Hannah can you confirm what laptop you have - and what is displaying the message ie - is it a standard windows message or do you see it only when you open the audio properties.

Although it may be just as quick to ring novatech support if thats where you bought it as they should be able to point you in the direction of the correct disk or download location.

I have a computer not a laptop and yes its XP

The notebook is just a CD i found in my computer package saying "notebook driver" so i have no idea what that is.

To reach the message that it is not detecting my speakers, i just go in to controle panel....sounds,speech and audio devices...clicking on adjust system volume OR change speaker settings and it says "no audio device."

Think i might just call novatech tomorrow
cheers
Old 13 March 2006, 17:54   #11

Town: Reading, Hants
Boat name: Juicy
Make: Sealine F43
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x 370hp
MMSI: TBC
Quote:

anyone want a job in PC Support!!
Old 13 March 2006, 17:56   #12

Thats better information.

I am suprised that you do not have any devices with yellow exclamation marks next to them in device manager then as codprawn said.

It is unusual for a modern device to not be plug and play and windows detect it at startup - any devices detected but with no drivers should show up with a yellow triangle and exclamation mark.

if you are sure there are no devices with exclamation marks in the device manager then you either have a hardware fault or some bizzare sound card that is not plug and play (unlikely)...

do you know the make of your sound card or is it an on board one buit into the motherboard.
Old 13 March 2006, 18:01   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Jardon

anyone want a job in PC Support!!
PC support is like pulling teeth - i would never go back to it as a job - ive always been lucky enough to only be support a particular software package and have always had the luxury of just blaming the hardware if all else failed

The amount of times we used to just send custoemrs away to do a scan disc just to get rid of them for 2 hours

I do however end up doing alot of voluntary support for freinds and family but its really usefull to know the other person and there capabilities and whats inside their machine - saves alot of time...

trying to help someone with a PC problem is often like giving advice on what prop to use but without knowing what boat they have and what hp their engine is
Old 13 March 2006, 18:08   #14

Quote:

trying to help someone with a PC problem is often like giving advice on what prop to use but without knowing what boat they have and what hp their engine is
Talking of which look at engine thread!!!