Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 16 January 2010, 07:02   #1
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Boat name: Seashell
Make: Redbay
Length: 7m +
Engine: Inboard diesel
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 5,261
Complicated remote camera question

Heres the problem:
We want to mount some sort of camera on the lightship so that when we go past in the RIB with punters on board, a camera will take a photo which will then be beamed back to the kiosk (in Gunwharf) which can be printed as a souvenir. We also want the facility to be able to take a photo of any boat (with the Spinnaker tower and Gunwharf in the background it makes a nice shot) which can be uploaded onto a website for purchase.

Obviously the images need to be decent quality. The idea would be in principle that the person working in the kiosk can view the feed from the camera in real time so he or she can hit the "take photo button" to get the shot at the right moment. It would then need to be automatically uploaded or sent somewhere so they can download it and print it off.

Has anyone got any thoughts about how we can achieve this? I'm baffled!
__________________

__________________
Tim M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2010, 07:08   #2
RIBnet supporter
 
C2 RIBS's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Hants
Boat name: Gemineye
Make: Ribeye S850 charter
Length: 8m +
Engine: 300hp
MMSI: 235097445
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 3,029
Tim I am not technical for this but I have the remote camera head cam which takes images on the boat. Another colleague has spent near on 20,000 to gain a 360 remote facility on board recently. I hope someone can give you a good idea as we would use it. The other cheaper is a cameraman / woman taking shots but that could be a ,long day
__________________
Ian
Rib charter and Rib hire with www.c2ribs.co.uk
C2 RIBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2010, 07:14   #3
RIBnet supporter
 
Country: UK - England
Town: South Coast
Length: 7m +
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 1,445
I would use someone who already works on the lightship. Give them a camera and pay them for every shot you use. Got to be cheaper than 20,000. You or the Kiosk can give them a "heads up" call before you leave or enter port.

Someone using a camera correctly will always produce better shots than any remote will.

Steve
__________________
250kts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2010, 07:21   #4
RIBnet admin team
 
Poly's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 10,113
Tim,

How busy is the person in the kiosk? I wonder how likely they are to capture the right moment? I wonder if you need a solution which is automated in some way?

I'm guessing you are looking at relatively small pictures (6x4 - 7x5 - 8x6?) rather than poster size? That makes a difference to the camera requirement - but I guess you need to think in terms of 'zoom' also i.e. you want the boat and towers etc. all in the frame. You can probably work it so your drivers are in the right place for the money shot - not sure it will be so easy with random passers by.

What are your options for "feeding" the data from the camera - wireless? or 3G (with speed/data cost implications). What power have you got available? And can you enclose it all from the elements / security - or are you looking for a package that does that too?
__________________
Poly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2010, 07:23   #5
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Boat name: Seashell
Make: Redbay
Length: 7m +
Engine: Inboard diesel
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 5,261
Ian, what sort of remote camera thing have you got?

If it's going to be seriously expensive we won't do it. Originally I thought about just getting someone to take a photo next to the pontoon as we're leaving, then the lightship idea came along.....

Using the lightship staff isn't really an option as they won't have time to take photos and email them over to the kiosk every half an hour on a summer's day when they're supposed to be serving customers.
__________________
Tim M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2010, 07:24   #6
Member
 
chewy's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Up Norf
Make: Avon SR4,Tremlett 23
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yam 55, Volvo 200
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 5,217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim M View Post

Using the lightship staff isn't really an option as they won't have time to take photos and email them over to the kiosk every half an hour on a summer's day when they're supposed to be serving customers.
I know just the man for this job.
__________________
chewy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2010, 07:25   #7
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Boat name: Seashell
Make: Redbay
Length: 7m +
Engine: Inboard diesel
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 5,261
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
Tim,

How busy is the person in the kiosk? I wonder how likely they are to capture the right moment? I wonder if you need a solution which is automated in some way?

I'm guessing you are looking at relatively small pictures (6x4 - 7x5 - 8x6?) rather than poster size? That makes a difference to the camera requirement - but I guess you need to think in terms of 'zoom' also i.e. you want the boat and towers etc. all in the frame. You can probably work it so your drivers are in the right place for the money shot - not sure it will be so easy with random passers by.

What are your options for "feeding" the data from the camera - wireless? or 3G (with speed/data cost implications). What power have you got available? And can you enclose it all from the elements / security - or are you looking for a package that does that too?
Doesn't need to be huge resolution. We've got mains electricity and broadband in both locations. Security isn't an issue, but it does need to be waterproof obviously.

I have a feeling this isn't going to be possible, on a budget at least!
__________________
Tim M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2010, 07:26   #8
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Boat name: Seashell
Make: Redbay
Length: 7m +
Engine: Inboard diesel
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 5,261
Quote:
Originally Posted by chewy View Post
I know just the man for this job.
Who's that then?
__________________
Tim M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2010, 07:26   #9
Member
 
chewy's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Up Norf
Make: Avon SR4,Tremlett 23
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yam 55, Volvo 200
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 5,217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim M View Post
Who's that then?
JSP, he'll sit down there and click away.
__________________
chewy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2010, 07:34   #10
RIBnet admin team
 
Poly's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 10,113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim M View Post
Doesn't need to be huge resolution. We've got mains electricity and broadband in both locations. Security isn't an issue, but it does need to be waterproof obviously.

I have a feeling this isn't going to be possible, on a budget at least!

Tim, I think it might be! One more question - How far away is the boat from the light ship...

People are doing remote photography for wildlife stuff - which is not disimilar. See here: http://ohioline.osu.edu/w-fact/pdf/0021.pdf for an idea.
__________________
Poly is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 13:28.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.