Old 16 January 2010, 07:02   #1

Boat name: Seashell
Make: Redbay
Length: 7m +
Engine: Inboard diesel
Complicated remote camera question

Heres the problem:
We want to mount some sort of camera on the lightship so that when we go past in the RIB with punters on board, a camera will take a photo which will then be beamed back to the kiosk (in Gunwharf) which can be printed as a souvenir. We also want the facility to be able to take a photo of any boat (with the Spinnaker tower and Gunwharf in the background it makes a nice shot) which can be uploaded onto a website for purchase.

Obviously the images need to be decent quality. The idea would be in principle that the person working in the kiosk can view the feed from the camera in real time so he or she can hit the "take photo button" to get the shot at the right moment. It would then need to be automatically uploaded or sent somewhere so they can download it and print it off.

Has anyone got any thoughts about how we can achieve this? I'm baffled!

Old 16 January 2010, 07:08   #2
RIBnet supporter

Town: Hants
Boat name: Gemineye
Make: Ribeye S850 charter
Length: 8m +
Engine: 300hp
MMSI: 235097445
Tim I am not technical for this but I have the remote camera head cam which takes images on the boat. Another colleague has spent near on 20,000 to gain a 360 remote facility on board recently. I hope someone can give you a good idea as we would use it. The other cheaper is a cameraman / woman taking shots but that could be a ,long day
Old 16 January 2010, 07:14   #3
RIBnet supporter

Town: South Coast
I would use someone who already works on the lightship. Give them a camera and pay them for every shot you use. Got to be cheaper than 20,000. You or the Kiosk can give them a "heads up" call before you leave or enter port.

Someone using a camera correctly will always produce better shots than any remote will.

Steve
Old 16 January 2010, 07:21   #4
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
Tim,

How busy is the person in the kiosk? I wonder how likely they are to capture the right moment? I wonder if you need a solution which is automated in some way?

I'm guessing you are looking at relatively small pictures (6x4 - 7x5 - 8x6?) rather than poster size? That makes a difference to the camera requirement - but I guess you need to think in terms of 'zoom' also i.e. you want the boat and towers etc. all in the frame. You can probably work it so your drivers are in the right place for the money shot - not sure it will be so easy with random passers by.

What are your options for "feeding" the data from the camera - wireless? or 3G (with speed/data cost implications). What power have you got available? And can you enclose it all from the elements / security - or are you looking for a package that does that too?
Old 16 January 2010, 07:23   #5

Ian, what sort of remote camera thing have you got?

If it's going to be seriously expensive we won't do it. Originally I thought about just getting someone to take a photo next to the pontoon as we're leaving, then the lightship idea came along.....

Using the lightship staff isn't really an option as they won't have time to take photos and email them over to the kiosk every half an hour on a summer's day when they're supposed to be serving customers.
Old 16 January 2010, 07:24   #6

Town: Up Norf
Make: Avon SR4,Tremlett 23
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yam 55, Volvo 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim M View Post

Using the lightship staff isn't really an option as they won't have time to take photos and email them over to the kiosk every half an hour on a summer's day when they're supposed to be serving customers.
I know just the man for this job.
Old 16 January 2010, 07:25   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
Tim,

How busy is the person in the kiosk? I wonder how likely they are to capture the right moment? I wonder if you need a solution which is automated in some way?

I'm guessing you are looking at relatively small pictures (6x4 - 7x5 - 8x6?) rather than poster size? That makes a difference to the camera requirement - but I guess you need to think in terms of 'zoom' also i.e. you want the boat and towers etc. all in the frame. You can probably work it so your drivers are in the right place for the money shot - not sure it will be so easy with random passers by.

What are your options for "feeding" the data from the camera - wireless? or 3G (with speed/data cost implications). What power have you got available? And can you enclose it all from the elements / security - or are you looking for a package that does that too?
Doesn't need to be huge resolution. We've got mains electricity and broadband in both locations. Security isn't an issue, but it does need to be waterproof obviously.

I have a feeling this isn't going to be possible, on a budget at least!
Old 16 January 2010, 07:26   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewy View Post
I know just the man for this job.
Who's that then?
Old 16 January 2010, 07:26   #9

Town: Up Norf
Make: Avon SR4,Tremlett 23
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yam 55, Volvo 200
Quote:
Who's that then?
JSP, he'll sit down there and click away.
Old 16 January 2010, 07:34   #10
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Doesn't need to be huge resolution. We've got mains electricity and broadband in both locations. Security isn't an issue, but it does need to be waterproof obviously.

I have a feeling this isn't going to be possible, on a budget at least!

Tim, I think it might be! One more question - How far away is the boat from the light ship...

People are doing remote photography for wildlife stuff - which is not disimilar. See here: http://ohioline.osu.edu/w-fact/pdf/0021.pdf for an idea.